Surin Pitsuwan Gets Backing For Top Un Job

george

Surin gets backing for top UN job

BANGKOK: -- The United States is poised to propose former foreign minister Surin Pitsuwan as the next UN secretary-general to replace Kofi Annan later this year, an informed source said yesterday.

The message has been relayed to coup leader General Sonthi Boon-yaratglin but Thailand remained tight-lipped, taking a wait-and-see approach at least until after the next straw vote among the 15-member UN Security Council (UNSC) in New York.

According to the source, Washington felt Surin was a strong candidate.

"He is an Asian, a moderate Muslim and a former foreign minister who is well known and respected in the international community," said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Washington believes China and the four other permanent members may also rate Surin as the best available choice for the position.

South Korea's candidate, Foreign Minister Ban Ki-moon, came first in the last two straw votes in the UNSC but Washington still thinks Surin is a better choice - because he is seen as a person better able to bridge the gap of misunderstanding between the West and the Muslim world.

Complicating the matter is the fact that Thailand already has a candidate - former foreign minister Surakiart Sathirathai, who has close ties with ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra. Surakiart is currently in New York lobbying for the UN's top post.

Sonthi's decision to endorse Surakiart came as a surprise to many, considering the former foreign minister rushed to defend Thaksin last week. He was on CNN defending the PM as soldiers and tanks were taking over the capital.

Surakiart also has the endorsement of Asean. China, one of the UN Permanent-5 that has the power to veto any candidate, has "applauded" Asean's decision to support Surakiart. But at the same time, China also sent a letter to Sri Lanka informing them Beijing would take Colombo's candidacy seriously. The other Permanent-5 members are the US, Britain, France and Russia.

Moreover, Asean's support for Surakiart is questionable as other members are reportedly looking to field their own candidate if and when Surakiart - whose bid has been marred by controversy - withdraws from the race.

Another setback for Surakiart came after the coup, when China's ambassador to the UN told reporters: "I think definitely the situation in Thailand makes this issue more complicated."

The UN Permanent-5 is expected to go back to the drawing board after this weekend's straw vote. The last two straw votes among the 15 UN Security Council members had Surakiart coming a distant third.

But the source said: "There is a concern that Surakiart will not withdraw from the race so that another candidate from Asean can have a shot at the top post."

According to the UN Charter, "the Secretary General shall be appointed by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Security Council."

But in practice, the Council nominates only one candidate and then forwards the name to the UN General Assembly for endorsement. This makes the selection a "done deal" before it goes to the floor for endorsement.

According to a Bangkok-based diplomat from one of the Permanent-5 countries, selecting the next UN chief is an extremely difficult process to predict because it follows no formal procedure. The selected person is an outcome of diplomatic tussle and compromise between the five permanent members, he said.

In addition to Surakiart and Ban, other candidates include UN undersecretary-general for public affairs Shashi Tharoor of India; Jordan's UN Ambassador Prince Zeid al Hussein; former UN disarmament chief Jayantha Dhanapala of Sri Lanka; former Afghan Finance Minister Ashraf Ghani and Latvian President Vaira Vike-Freiberga, the only non-Asian.

--The Nation 2006-09-27

It is an honour : Surin

BANGKOK: -- Former Foreign Minister Surin Pitsuwan said Thursday he was interested in taking up an "international position" but declined to say what his decision would be if approached to take up the UN top post to replace outgoing SecurityGeneral Kofi Annan.

"It's an honor for anyone to have his name being mentioned in positive light. At this moment, I'm not a candidate," said Surin, an executive member of the Democrat Party.

"But the international community has been aware of my keen interest in an international position for some time," added Surin.

According to a diplomatic source, the United States sees Surin as a strong candidate and will discuss his nomination with the UN Permanent5 members.

Washington sees Surin, a Thai Muslim and an international academic advisor to the Oxford University's Islamic Centre, as one who could help bridge the gap of misunderstanding between the West and the Islamic world amid this ongoing tension.

The former foreign minister has previously worked with the UN on a number of issues and currently serving on the board of the International Labour Organisation's World Commission on the Social Dimension of Globalisation and the Commission on Human Security. Both are UN auspicious.

Surin is also a member of the advisory board for the New Yorkbased Council on Foreign Relations, as well as the Brusselsbased International Crisis Group, a leading security research group focusing on conflict areas.

-- The Nation 2006-09-28

He has nothing to do with the junta, he's a very capable diplomat in his own right and should be examined on his credentials alone.

Kofi Annan comes from Ghana, it's not like they have some kind of strong & peaceful democratic tradition there.

Surin has been frantically campaigning, to the interest of absolutely no one anywhere, for several years. I think this is what can generally be referred to as 'throwing the guy a bone.'

:D

My money is still on the Korean.....not that either one would be someone I objected too. However, I don't expect to get any phone calls from the U.N. asking for my opinion.

:o

It's not a beauty contest - the candidate has to satisfy all five permanent members. If the "discourage" vote against Korean came from Chinese, he's doomed no matter what.

They have to choose not the most popular candidate, but the most acceptable. Dark horses to reach a last minute compromise have better chances than in any other competition.

So yes, Surin, Supachai, Jordanian Prince, and anyone else - they all have equal chances IF permanent five can't agree on Korean or Sri Lankan.

The most irritating aspect of this question is the almost universal acceptance of the Buggins turn principle, specifically that on this occasion the successful candidate has to come from Asia.Surely the time has come to agree that the post should go to the best man or woman for the job, and that what the ethnicity is should be beside the point.Anyway the good news is that the ludicrously underqualified Surakiat, fat faced Burmese junta loving Thaksin stooge, seems out of the running.Actually regrettably but predictably no Thai is qualified for the job except possibly Anand in his younger days.

On reflection some of the succesful incumbents were unqualified for the job, namely thev Austrian war criminal Kurt Waldheim and the Egyptian goatherd, Goutros Goutros Goutros Gali.Actually Kofi has done a fairly decent job in my opinion, notwithstanding his sanctions busting son.

Being Secy-General of the UN is almost an impossible job. First, publicly, you have to be the face of the UN. Secondly, you have to be a great diplomat. Thirdly, you have to oversee one of the world's worst bureaucracies.

But never mind the bureaucratic part. "Qualifications" often hinder a candidate, and people without qualifications (such as prominent Republican leaders in the USA) sometimes get chosen over perfectly qualified candidates.

If Supachai doesn't become prime minister this weekend, is his candidacy suddenly stronger for the UN job?

Who knows which candidate is the best? Everyone has got an opinion. Rotating the position between the region might have its own positive sides.

In a global (not in space, but in time, too) sceme of things every region deserves a turn at projecting its perspective and highlighting its issues on the world. Like it or not, but in reality SG will always bring his regional luggage with him.

We've had enough attention on Africa in the past twenty-thirty years - HIV/Aids, poverty, famine, civil wars. When did they focus on China or India last time? Asia will shape the world in the coming decades, lets give them a chance, it's only fair.

Surin has been frantically campaigning, to the interest of absolutely no one anywhere, for several years. I think this is what can generally be referred to as 'throwing the guy a bone.'

Backed by your own Madeline Albright I believe, The Democrats are showing their calibre now what with Supachai also in contention for the UN or PM.

It's unlikely for Thais to get 2 top jobs in the international arena though; still what TRT candidates are there in contention?

I forgot, Thaksin said USA was a useless friend and the UN was not his father.

Backed by your own Madeline Albright I believe, The Democrats are showing their calibre now what with Supachai also in contention for the UN or PM.

It's unlikely for Thais to get 2 top jobs in the international arena though; still what TRT candidates are there in contention?

I forgot, Thaksin said USA was a useless friend and the UN was not his father.

Supachai was never in contention although he is probably the only Thai (maybe Surin Pitsuwan at a pinch) with the minimum qualifications.The comically inept Surakiat has now as predicted been vetoed by several members of the Security Council and Mr Ban, the south Korean candidate is certain to be nominated, barring any upseen upsets.The trouble with even good Thai candidates is that they tend to be saddled with a lot of feudal baggage which doesn't translate well into the international arena.Culturally Thailand just doesn't seem to produce tough minded, intelligent, analytical leaders.

What an embarrassment for Thailand that Thaksin's stooge should have wasted so much of the country's money and reputation in his long campaign.Having said that some credit should be given to both the Thai and English language press, as well as some Foreign Ministry officials, for speaking out at a time when any criticism of Thaksin and his cronies was regarded as unpatriotic disloyalty.

Moral courage and the right to criticise should be valued, and it's just a pity that there is very little of it on display right now.

Thailand should quietly put the word around that it will consider it a major loss of face if their candidate fails to get the job.

Taking a confident approach should help bring other nations around to toeing the Thai line.

When Supachai was up against Mike Moore for the trade job, such behind-the-scenes diplomacy worked wonders. They split the term of office

Thailand should quietly put the word around that it will consider it a major loss of face if their candidate fails to get the job.

Taking a confident approach should help bring other nations around to toeing the Thai line.

When Supachai was up against Mike Moore for the trade job, such behind-the-scenes diplomacy worked wonders. They split the term of office

What planet are you on Barney? Your post is daft beyond comment but I cannot help wondering who you think would undertake the behind the scenes diplomacy? His chief mentor is presently sitting on his hands in between visits to the Harrods food store.Perhaps you have him in mind?

It worked for Supachai.

The UN knows Thailand is a proud nation and wouldn't just nominate willy nilly. They say, "Look, we'd be 'disappointed' if our man didn't get recognition'. The others are well-capable of reading between the lines.

I am replying on the outside chance you are being serious and not having a joke.

But Thailand did nominate a complete plonker whose main qualification was that he was a stooge of Thaksin.More importantly as far as your comment is concerned -and I speak as somebody who respects and even loves this country - members of the UN Security Council don't give a rats wotsit about Thailand's opinions at all, let alone being a "proud nation" or its "disappointment' if their man was not appointed.

He has nothing to do with the junta, he's a very capable diplomat in his own right and should be examined on his credentials alone.

Florin agree with you entirely - this guy has an interesting background of self-help in order to achieve his current status.

It worked for Supachai.

The UN knows Thailand is a proud nation and wouldn't just nominate willy nilly. They say, "Look, we'd be 'disappointed' if our man didn't get recognition'. The others are well-capable of reading between the lines.

I am replying on the outside chance you are being serious and not having a joke.

But Thailand did nominate a complete plonker whose main qualification was that he was a stooge of Thaksin.More importantly as far as your comment is concerned -and I speak as somebody who respects and even loves this country - members of the UN Security Council don't give a rats wotsit about Thailand's opinions at all, let alone being a "proud nation" or its "disappointment' if their man was not appointed.

I concede that the gambit probably wouldn't work. But its better than the alternative, which is doing nothing, trying to let him win on merit, and then definitely losing.