Panel to be set up to find out why the draft Thai charter was voted down

webfact

Panel to be set up to find out why the draft charter was voted down

1401-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An ad hoc panel has been set up to find out why the draft constitution crafted by the Constitution Drafting Committee headed by Dr Bowornsak Uwanno was voted down by the National Reform Council.

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said Wednesday that the panel would be small consisting not more than four people and they do not need to be an expert or to be knowledgeable. They can just go to interview the 247 former NRC members to find out from them how they voted and why, he added.

Dr Wissanu said he wanted to find out what were the reasons for the failure of the draft charter to get the approval of the NRC. The reasons, he said, might vary from dislike of the entire draft, dislike the provision about unelected outsider prime minister or dislike the National Strategic Committee for Reform or the crisis panel.

Regarding the formation of the new 21-member CDC, the deputy prime minister disclosed that several individuals had been approached and most said they would like to think it over first.

However, he assured that the matter would be settled within this month and he would have all the 21 names in hand to be submitted to the National Council for Peace and Order for approval.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/panel-to-be-set-up-to-find-out-why-the-draft-charter-was-voted-down

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-24

I have myself asked the same question , many times over , the only conclusion I kept coming too , the majority didn't bloody like it, that's why stupid, of course this may well have played into Prayut - o - Cha hands and the Charter had been deliberately set up to fail , which , going on past records possibly is the correct assumption. coffee1.gif

"The reasons, he said, might vary from dislike of the entire draft, dislike the provision about unelected outsider prime minister or dislike the National Strategic Committee for Reform or the crisis panel."

He got it all the first time. No need to do anything further with this matter.

The military members voted against it and I don't believe it was because of a strong sense of democracy.It was a typical case of last minute back-pedaling because the Junta finally understood that the draft charter would never pass the referendum.For them it was better to stop now rather than to face a refusal by the Thai people later.