Scores killed in Saudi Hajj stampede

webfact

More than 700 pilgrims die in stampede at Hajj near Mecca

MECCA: -- More than 700 dead and over 850 injured is the sickening death toll following a stampede near Mecca during the Hajj religious festival.

Pilgrims were on their way to the “stoning of the devil” ritual at the pillars of Jamarat when two large groups met at a crossroads in the tented town in Mina valley.

The Hajj is the world’s largest annual gathering of people and there have been regular accidents in Mecca, despite the Saudi authorities spending billions to improve infrastructure.

“ I express my condolences to me, to you and to all pilgrims for the stampede that happened today in Mina. I also express my condolences to the relatives of the victims. We asked the concerned authorities to investigate into the causes of the dramatic incident and come out with the results of the investigations as soon as possible,” said King Salman bin Abdulaziz.

The Saudi Health Minister said pilgrims failing to follow instructions had been the main cause of the tragedy, the worst in Mecca for a quarter-century.

Security at the Hajj is a politically sensitive issue for Saudi Arabia, the guardians of the Islamic world’s most sacred sites.

Previous tragedies at Mecca:

January 2006: 346 pilgrims killed and 289 injured in the “stoning of the devil” at Mina, during the last day of Hajj.
February 2004: 251 people killed and 244 injured during a ritual at Mina.
April 1998: around 180 pilgrims trampled to death, panic broke out after many fell from an overpass.
April 1997: 343 pilgrims killed and 1,500 injured in a fire in an overcrowded tent at Mina.
July 1990: 1,426 people killed, mainly Pakistani and Indonesian pilgrims, in a stampede in an overcrowded pedestrian tunnel connecting Mecca, Mina and Arafat.
July 1987: 402 pilgrims killed and thousands injured in a clash between Iranian demonstrators and Saudi security forces.
December 1975: 200 pilgrims killed in a fire in a tent colony.

euronews2.png
-- euronews 2015-09-25

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In crowds we all become nothing more than mere ants that people will push and shove to get through. In these events, we don't look at people as individuals, we see them as annoyances. Shame.

I don't think stampedes work like that….i haven't been in one but it is like a powerful wave that knocks you off your feet. No one has any control over their movements.

Allah works in mysterious ways

You are right in the Book of Job we are taught not question God Will

Amen Brother

I believe God knows what he did

you would fit in well here in Thailand, don't question anything. I think he knew what he was doing, killing the opposition.

Praise be to Allah. Roll on for next years fatal stupidity. Good to hear the Saudis are blaming it on the Africans rather than their own crase negligence in organising such an event. Hopefully by the time the 20,000 or so Saudi Royals get round to spending a larger proportion of their billions on crowd safety the IS will have taken over and put and end to it and them.

Saudi Arabia says death toll in Mecca stampede could rise
English.news.cn

RIYADH, Sept. 25 (Xinhua) -- Saudi Arabia said the death toll in Thursday's stampede in Mina, neighboring the holy city Mecca, is expected to rise, Al Arabiya local news channel reported.

Earlier reports said 717 pilgrims died and 863 injured during a major Hajj ritual of throwing pebbles at one of the three walls representing Satan, the symbolic "stoning of the devil."

The Saudi Interior Ministry told a press conference that the incident was dealt with plans, but the procedures to deal with the performing of this ritual will be reviewed to overcome such mishaps in the coming years.

The authority said the incident was initially triggered by the pilgrims moving in opposite directions. "We will be investigating the incident as it happened in a narrow road that isn't usually used by pilgrims, as it is closed to the camping areas in Mina," a spokesperson said, adding that the high temperature may also be an additional reason.

Source: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2015-09/25/c_134656849.htm

-- Xinhua 2015-09-25

Any condolence message from barack hussein obama yet?

No.

Not sure why he should say anything.

I don't see much difference from the Love Parade crowd crush deaths in Germany.

It's a tragedy but not really relevant for a U.S. president to comment on.

You (may) have missed his point Jingthing. A particular group in America are obsessed with President Obama middle name. They have never really got over the shock of discovering that he is rather darker than they view as the American ideal.

Any condolence message from barack hussein obama yet?

No.

Not sure why he should say anything.

I don't see much difference from the Love Parade crowd crush deaths in Germany.

It's a tragedy but not really relevant for a U.S. president to comment on.

You (may) have missed his point Jingthing. A particular group in America are obsessed with President Obama middle name. They have never really got over the shock of discovering that he is rather darker than they view as the American ideal.

And let's all thank Donald (where's yoor troosers) Trump for telling the world about Obama.

Rock on Donald......

Strange that it's ok for numerous people to make a joke out of hundreds who have died here. I imagine if a single person made a joke about

the deaths of the two young white people in Koh Tao they would be banned.

Most likely some of the dead at the stampede were also young white people. coffee1.gif

Isnt this karma ?

I believe religion and karma are both man made constructs to rationalize patterns in events. Having said that, if I were a religious Jew not allowed to pray at the holiest site in Judaism on its holiest day due to Palestinian rioters throwing stones at them, which were stockpiled inside the third holiest site in Islam I would be feeling more than a little schadenfreude right now. First the crane collapse on the Mosque in Mecca, followed by the stampede whilst stoning the devil!

But these are all coincidences are they not?

I can't think of a better place than Mecca for a Muslim to die. Maybe the Saudis just look at it as something that is supposed to happen from time to time , no need to change anything , they went to a better place.

Tight crowds of excited people, a sudden surge, people fall over, other people fall over them, panic sets in...

Lots of innocent people taking part in an event of tradition and sentiment. A real tragedy.

The big crowds must be part of the thrill, but there's obviously just too many people in the same place at the same time... the organizers have to take the blame.

The schedule for events is relatively tight. Thus with hundreds of thousand, with varying languages cram and rush in a confined space a deadly outcome is seemingly assured for a great many.