Extension and bank account

The account has to be in your name only. A few Immigration offices will accept/used to accept (I don't know the current situation) a joint account, but then require ýou to have double the normal amount in the account.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

A joint account will not be accepted for an extension based upon marriage. Even if you had 1 million baht in the account it would not be accepted .

For retirement it would depend upon the office where you apply and you would need at least 1.6 million in the bank. Some offices that were allowing them no longer allow them.

• For a retirement extension the money must be in an account in your sole name.

Probably not but there is no set rule for marriage extensions. Some offices will accept joint accounts. If you need or want to use a joint account you should ask at the office you're going to apply before the two month countdown starts.

• Probably not but there is no set rule for marriage extensions. Some offices will accept joint accounts. If you need or want to use a joint account you should ask at the office you're going to apply before the two month countdown starts.

For marriage it is really clear it has to be the husbands money only and immigration will no allow a joint account.

From the clause 2.18 of then police order.

"(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year."

For retirement 2.22 is a less clear.

"(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date:"

• Probably not but there is no set rule for marriage extensions. Some offices will accept joint accounts. If you need or want to use a joint account you should ask at the office you're going to apply before the two month countdown starts.
For marriage it is really clear it has to be the husbands money only and immigration will no allow a joint account.

From the clause 2.18 of then police order.

"(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year."

For retirement 2.22 is a less clear.

"(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date:"

I disagree. Neither of those conditions you quote state that the funds must be in a sole named bank account. Both state in a bank in Thailand.

However, the immigration website confirms that if applying for a retirement extension that the bank account must be a sole account.

24. Question : For retirement reason for extension of temporary stay, could the foreign husband and wife have their combined name of the bank account as evidence?

Answer : No, the name in the bank account must be only the name of the applicant individually.

There is no such confirmation about a marriage extension.

I know most offices insist on it being a sole account for marriage extensions. But my office confirmed to me that they have the authority to accept funds in a joint account.

So my suggestion is to check with the office he is applying at because only they can confirm for sure.

The immigration website is so far out of date that I don't trust a lot of the info on it.

There is a bit of a history on extensions based upon marriage. The police order prior to 777/2551 allowed a wife's income or a combined income to be used It also allowed for joint bank accounts also. Police order 777/2551 was written to take out those allowances and police order 327/2557 has the same text in it.

I do not recommenced that a person open a joint bank account for either extension.

I also would not trust what an immigration office said about one based upon marriage. It sill has to be approved at the division level. Also they do change staff.