UPS Recommendations

narkeddiver

Hi,

We've just moved house and the electricity supply seems to be flakey in big storms so I think it's time to look at getting a UPS but I don't know if there are particular brands / models that are better than others or if there are any gotchas to look out for

I'm only looking to protect my Mac mini so I don't think I need a particularly large unit.

I would like the unit to have software that I can install on my Mac mini so that I can set it to shut down safely when the UPS kicks in

The only other function I'd like is the ability not to have an alarm sound or lights flash when the ups is running - if the power goes off at 03:00 I don't want or need to know ;)

Thanks in advance

But a snip of the speaker wire will do so I suspect - I know it did on my refrigerator.rolleyes.gif

It's usually a piezo soldered on to the board, so you'll need a sucker and of course farewell to the warranty. It is the first job on the recon units I get occasionally.

My big Leonics unit does have the facility to turn off the beeper, but it tends to forget and come back on.

APC is the only brand I buy for my own use and our lab. Been using them for years. This one at Invadeit.com would fill your requirements. I've not seen one where you can disable the alarm.

I've got that one - works fine and gives me about 25 minutes on battery with my set-up.

Note though that it has IEC outlets only so you will need an adapter if you want to use it with Thai-style plugs. One of the outlets is just surge-protected, i.e. is not UPS and this one is useful for plugging in an extension board for powering non-critical items.

I can thoroughly recommend InvadeIT by the way - excellent service.

DM

I would be cautious with that type of package. We had one at the university and locating batteries for it was quite a chore. The larger ones use more conventional and readily available battery replacements.

For home computers UPS are not worth the trouble. Just turn it off

Bad advice. Ok if you don't care about data loss or that glitch that damages the PC PSU or equipment. A few days ago I had probably a dozen short term dropouts and those can cause spikes and computer resetting losing data that has not been saved.

My first UPS was a small unit that did allow me to shut down my computer but not much else. I replaced the battery once. It finally died after six years. I then bought a much bigger unit but it would only run my computer for an hour or so. When it died, I went solar. Two solar panels and four AGM 65 AH batteries. The little system does a great job and runs the computer, a fan and lights for more than eight hours. Over two years now and no problems. When it is rainy or overcast for several days, I do have a battery charger that I recharge the batteries. I have peace of mind about lightening strikes and power outages.

For home computers UPS are not worth the trouble. Just turn it off

Bad advice. Ok if you don't care about data loss or that glitch that damages the PC PSU or equipment. A few days ago I had probably a dozen short term dropouts and those can cause spikes and computer resetting losing data that has not been saved.

Good advice. Have continuously used computers since the mid 80s about 30 years now and have NEVER used an UPS, have been in countless thunderstorms and have lived in many different countries during that time frame and, NEVER had an issue, never lost data, never a computer problem.

But then again I guess 30+ continuous years non-use of a UPS with different computers and many other electronic gadgets isnt really long enough to form an opinion. Maybe in another 20 years I could say that its ok to not use or need a UPS for typical home computer users. That would be 50 years....

You are very lucky if you have never needed a UPS. If you lived in those parts of Thailand where the power drops out for an instant multiple times a day you would soon be buying one. Lived in a street where there was a direct hit by lightning on the power supply and every house had fried tvs and computers but my computer survived, so my UPS paid for itself that day alone. Also in Thailand you have plenty of low quality power that can really shorten the life of your hard disks. A line interactive UPS along with good cooling helps reduce that.

A direct hit by lightning on a pole outside my home in the US fried $10,000 worth of electronics gear (Desktop comp., fax machine, 2-way radio, ect) The surge didn't come through on the power line, but rather through the phone line. If you are connected by ethernet cable, keep this possibility in mind.

I'm curious; does the transformer block on almost all laptop computer power cords serve as a surge barrier and does it also smooth out power peaks and drops?

Good advice. Have continuously used computers since the mid 80s about 30 years now and have NEVER used an UPS, have been in countless thunderstorms and have lived in many different countries during that time frame and, NEVER had an issue, never lost data, never a computer problem.

But then again I guess 30+ continuous years non-use of a UPS with different computers and many other electronic gadgets isnt really long enough to form an opinion. Maybe in another 20 years I could say that its ok to not use or need a UPS for typical home computer users. That would be 50 years....

As a professional IT consultant I have lost count of the number of people I know who have lost data or had equipment destroyed through not having a UPS.

Given the very low cost of these here I would not even consider not having one.

I have one of these: http://www.itcityonline.com/shop/index.php?id_product=4727&controller=product&id_lang=7

It works fine and new batteries are easily available. I paid 1600B and I see no point paying more.

Have a similar but somewhat older unit from Cleanline, purchased at IT City Tukcom.

Battery just recently died, any recommendation on where to get a new battery or having it replaced in Pattaya?

Been thinking about heading back to where I bought it, but seeing your post I figured I'll ask.

As a professional IT consultant I have lost count of the number of people I know who have lost data or had equipment destroyed through not having a UPS.

Given the very low cost of these here I would not even consider not having one.

Sorry bro but my 30 years of non-issues in the real world trumps your "IT consultant" gig. Of course you would say MUST have an UPS, its your geek answer.

Real world, when a thunderstorm is approaching, turn your computer off. Ensure you are using a proper surge protector with protection. Its kinda like back in he old days when people would say not to use a landline in a thunderstorm.

My recommendation dont need one for typical everyday computer usage. If it goes past that like having a home or business server or 24hr a day home security system, then there would be a need.

APC is the only brand I buy for my own use and our lab. Been using them for years. This one at Invadeit.com would fill your requirements. I've not seen one where you can disable the alarm.

I've got that one - works fine and gives me about 25 minutes on battery with my set-up.

Note though that it has IEC outlets only so you will need an adapter if you want to use it with Thai-style plugs. One of the outlets is just surge-protected, i.e. is not UPS and this one is useful for plugging in an extension board for powering non-critical items.

DM

I have the same one too, for over 10 years! I can highly recommend it! thumbsup.gif

In addition to power supply protection, it also has phone line surge protection.

My desktop computer is on 24/7 and it's virtually impossible to shut the computer down and unplug in the many times lightning strike, power surge, or loss of power occurred! One time I was about 4Km from the house when a strike occurred. That one took out the LED TV and sound bar below. There is no physical switch that disconnect them from the mains. The power supply in both had to be replaced. It's paid for itself many times over!

I've had other electronic/electrical devices destroyed because I couldn't get them turned off or unplugged in time! I had one lightning strike that literally blew up the electric meter! Fortunately the meter is about 15 meters from the house as the power lines that supplied the electricity were like roman candles when the power came back on! ohmy.png

Lot's of stuff was destroyed, but my desktop computer was one of the few things that survived! I was using the computer at the time and it was a total surprise! w00t.gif I took me awhile to figure out what had happened! Intense boom and bright light immediately followed by absolute silence and darkness! crazy.gif

There's a Thai Visa moderator who lives about 3Km away. He's had a couple of lightning strikes that has hit his house too!

Edited by BB1950

I have one of these: http://www.itcityonline.com/shop/index.php?id_product=4727&controller=product&id_lang=7

It works fine and new batteries are easily available. I paid 1600B and I see no point paying more.

Have a similar but somewhat older unit from Cleanline, purchased at IT City Tukcom.

Battery just recently died, any recommendation on where to get a new battery or having it replaced in Pattaya?

Been thinking about heading back to where I bought it, but seeing your post I figured I'll ask.

A while ago I was looking for a replacement battery for my DelTec UPS - not my APC one - that just provides backup power to my router. I originally bought this from IT City so I went back there for the battery. However, I was a bit disturbed to see that the batteries that they had on sale seemed to be old stock. I'm not sure just how good a lead-acid battery would be after sitting on a shelf for a year or more!

Anyway, you can get them at HomePro (Big C Extra building, Pattaya Klang) and theirs seem to be rather newer. Not sure if the physical size will be right though - you'd have to take a look.

DM

I also have one of the old black type that someone gave to me. The battery died after about 3.5 years of use. IT City said that the batteries are expensive for the old one, and have to be ordered. Apparently the batteries for the new one are cheaper and readily available (they had some on the shelf). This may have been just sales talk but given the low price of the new one I bought it.

Later I saw what looked like the right sort of battery in Amorn (Tukcom basement) but by then I was using the new one and so didnt look further.

The manufacturer is still in business and has a website, so an email to them may get a useful response.

It's no big deal just to change the whole unit when the battery dies. For me that works out at under 500B/year.

DM

I have the same one too, for over 10 years! I can highly recommend it! thumbsup.gif

In addition to power supply protection, it also has phone line surge protection.

My desktop computer is on 24/7 and it's virtually impossible to shut the computer down and unplug in the many times lightning strike, power surge, or loss of power occurred! One time I was about 4Km from the house when a strike occurred. That one took out the LED TV and sound bar below. There is no physical switch that disconnect them from the mains. The power supply in both had to be replaced. It's paid for itself many times over!

I've had other electronic/electrical devices destroyed because I couldn't get them turned off or unplugged in time! I had one lightning strike that literally blew up the electric meter! Fortunately the meter is about 15 meters from the house as the power lines that supplied the electricity were like roman candles when the power came back on! ohmy.png

Lot's of stuff was destroyed, but my desktop computer was one of the few things that survived! I was using the computer at the time and it was a total surprise! w00t.gif I took me awhile to figure out what had happened! Intense boom and bright light immediately followed by absolute silence and darkness! crazy.gif

There's a Thai Visa moderator who lives about 3Km away. He's had a couple of lightning strikes that has hit his house too!

This isnt about an UPS then, its about proper grounding in your house. You do have a problem and its not fixed by using an UPS.X

DM

This isnt about an UPS then, its about proper grounding in your house. You do have a problem and its not fixed by using an UPS.X

No... It's not about proper grounding. It's about a UPS! I don't have a problem! The UPS protected my desktop computer excellently! thumbsup.gif

Brown outs and voltage spikes are not resolved by proper grounding!

My house is grounded excellently and wired correctly! I made sure of that when I built it! I've seen plenty of badly grounded houses and reverse polarity (Line and Neutral wires reversed) in Thailand!

Surge protectors don't work properly with poor grounding and reverse polarity. Which is why better ones have indicator lights. And of course can't deal with brown outs and sudden power failures which can cause data to be lost and file systems to be corrupted. Of course, Laptops are less vulnerable to the later because they contain a battery.

Make sure you know what you're talking about before you speak!

Please tell... What kind of computer do you use? Desktop or Laptop?

Edited by BB1950

OK chaps let's cut the bickering.

Every time your lights flicker is a potential PC crash or reset. Even if you don't use your PC for work it's annoying to get crashed out at that critical moment just before a high score :(

Protection against power issues is about proper grounding, decent surge protection AND a UPS.

You may want to add an AVR too if you have periods of low voltage to deal with.

Even if you have a laptop a UPS will keep your router going during those dark hours so you keep your internet connection alive.

A while ago I was looking for a replacement battery for my DelTec UPS - not my APC one - that just provides backup power to my router. I originally bought this from IT City so I went back there for the battery. However, I was a bit disturbed to see that the batteries that they had on sale seemed to be old stock. I'm not sure just how good a lead-acid battery would be after sitting on a shelf for a year or more!

Anyway, you can get them at HomePro (Big C Extra building, Pattaya Klang) and theirs seem to be rather newer. Not sure if the physical size will be right though - you'd have to take a look.

DM

I also have one of the old black type that someone gave to me. The battery died after about 3.5 years of use. IT City said that the batteries are expensive for the old one, and have to be ordered. Apparently the batteries for the new one are cheaper and readily available (they had some on the shelf). This may have been just sales talk but given the low price of the new one I bought it.

Later I saw what looked like the right sort of battery in Amorn (Tukcom basement) but by then I was using the new one and so didnt look further.

The manufacturer is still in business and has a website, so an email to them may get a useful response.

It's no big deal just to change the whole unit when the battery dies. For me that works out at under 500B/year.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Ill bring it back to IT City first, if that doesnt play out well Amorn is just in the basement. If all fails, Ill crack it open myself and head on over to Home Pro to see what they have to offer.

APC may be great, and I use myself, but for some reason that escapes my logic, as pointed out in post 5, they are often sold in Thailand with IEC outlets making it rather difficult to use. And often this is not mentioned and photos of the same unit from another country will show different outlets.

Power_Entry_IEC_Outlet_C13_Socket_EMO.jp

APC may be great, and I use myself, but for some reason that escapes my logic, as pointed out in post 5, they are often sold in Thailand with IEC outlets making it rather difficult to use. And often this is not mentioned and photos of the same unit from another country will show different outlets.

Power_Entry_IEC_Outlet_C13_Socket_EMO.jp

I once had a APC and adapted a power strip to fit it. Not ideal.

Lazada have these for 200 Baht. http://www.lazada.co.th/adapter-plug-ups-white-432278.html

post-36914-0-82384400-1443401538_thumb.j