us tourist visa

What will be my chance to get a US tourist visa for my Thai wife? I got married 4 years and 5 months ago also have a Thai retirement visa for the past 4 years, I work in Afghanistan and live in Thai not the us. We have House , two new car, a shop in our village and 6 rai land. we have three son two are Thai citizen and the baby is American and Thai citizen. I'm the sponsor and I will pay for everything. We just want to go for 6 days to the US so my wife and son can meet my three daughters and family members. we are waiting for her visa interview date now. does anybody remember any question on there tourist visa interview. Siam Legal gave my wife 50/50 chance of getting her tourist visa. Please help sad.gifrock.gif. I gave Siam Legal all my documents that they ask for like copy of all my passport pages, a letter from my job in Afghanistan, copy of my us government ID card, a copy of my orders from the department of the army, bank statement, a letter of sponsorship, 2 years of us taxes, my Thai yellow house book. Will the consulate look at my documents?

Edited by pepo

If you have been married 4 years and no reason to think your plans have changed it should not be any problem - the only concern is that you plan to shortcut normal immigrant visa processing once in US. For someone with proof of living outside USA it should not be a problem obtaining a tourist visa. Have her bring shop/land/other things that tie her to Thailand for exam. Children to return to in Thailand should be a positive factor also. Along with your service return requirements it should not even be close - should be 100% able to obtain visa IMHO.

• Like 1

lopburi3,

Thank you very much for your help. sorry that it took me so long to answer back got a little busy at work in Afghanistan. so you think that my wife as a good chance on getting her tourist visa. can anybody else give my there opinion on this tourist visa?

Good luck OP. Really hope your thai wife gets to meet your daughters. I'm not generally anti USA but why they make it so so hard for their own citizens to bring wife or gf to USA is beyond me.

I'm Australian. Would like to take my thai gf to visit USA.

My chances prob zero. So visit japan instead. 15 day visa exempt for thai. AU and USA should wake up

• Like 1

Craigt3365,

No my wife doesn't work but she takes care of our store in the village. we own property, we build our House and little store, own two 2014 cars and 6 rai land for farming. We have three son's two are Thai citizen and the baby is American citizen and Thai citizen they all live with us in our home in kabin buri Thailand. If my wife doesn't work is that a problem for her in getting a tourist visa? I work for the us government as a contractor.

• Like 1

If all that is in her name, and a US citizen as a child, you should have no problems. What they are looking for is somebody who will violate the terms of the tourist visa and stay. To stay permanently is a different visa application, as you know. They are pretty strict about this now after 9/11.

• Like 1

Yout wide does not have to be working.

In her case your ties to Thailand are more important than hers. Since you have an extension of stay is a big help. That and proof of you work outside the country to justify you not being here full time.

She should have no problem getting the visa.

• Like 1

Pepo ,as the exerts have pointed out. Your wife truely has a "compelling reason to return" so should be no problem. My gf has had 3 successful applications to AU.

The big difference is as I understand it , applications for USA require an interview. From accounts I have read on TV the ones rejected have covered at interview.

Might be an idea to seek professional advice from one of the visa agents 're interview process.perhaps there is some member that has done that and could advise.

I recall one guy from USA posted an experience where his thai wife at interview when questioned about her working life, mentioned that many years ago she had worked in a REAL massage job. She was refused. Reason suspension of prostitution. She was in her 50,s. What you say at interview is important

Edited by jacksam

My wife went through it about 12 years ago, but it was for a fiance visa. You wife is more than willing to chat with her. Any time....

Make sure you've got all your paperwork PERFECT! Don't lie. Dress nice. Be polite. The people who did the interview with her were very nice.

Not sure if this website is still good, but helped us a bunch:

http://www.visajourney.com/

Everybody thank you very much for all your help. Is there anybody on this forum that been thru the us tourist visa interview process with there Thai wife that can advise or help?

A good friend of mine started the US visit visa application for his Thai wife of only 18 months (together for about 4 or 5 years) last March. Went for the interview in July, visa issued and have already done the US meet and greet with his relatives.

As ubonjoe mentioned, your stated domicile as the husband is important as it was for me as a UK citizen, domiciled in Thailand (and working overseas) when my wife was applying for her UK visit visa.

I don't think you will have any issues. There's no 'trip-up' questions unless like someone on an earlier US visa thread who discovered after the fact that his girlfriend had changed her name as a juvenile and also had no stated plans for what they were going to do in the US and most importantly, how long they planned on staying.

I think your wife's application is cut and dried.

There is nothing to worry about if she is honest and her paperwork is squared away.

My GF got her B2 about 4 years ago and a year later my two step daughters got same. To the best of my knowledge, there are not any standard questions. She was asked about her business and my status in Thailand. After that, it was just small talk, or at least appeared to be. According to her “it was easy and everyone was friendly”. The kid’s interview was even more painless, both receiving 10 year B2. They were in/out in 20 minutes

Edited by Shot

Good luck OP. Really hope your thai wife gets to meet your daughters. I'm not generally anti USA but why they make it so so hard for their own citizens to bring wife or gf to USA is beyond me.

My chances prob zero. So visit japan instead. 15 day visa exempt for thai. AU and USA should wake up

mate, the US is no more difficult than Australia. In fact, the US processes applications faster and charges a lot less than Australia does. So look in your own backyard before casting stones.

But here's a tip. If you never actually apply, then yes your chance is zero.

Edited by Time Traveller

mate, the US is no more difficult than Australia. In fact, the US processes applications faster and charges a lot less than Australia does. So look in your own backyard before casting stones.

First of all I am not your mate.

I'm not aware of the statistics that back up your claim. As for visitor visa to AU for thai gf, have been through that process 3 times. It's simple and straightforward. Also does not involve an interview. In fact can do it online.

By your own words....saying I would have ZERO chance of taking tgf to USA....'..why?

If you read carefully I criticized AU and USA policy by pointing to 15 day visa exempt to Japan for thai nationals. BTW my tiff last visa to AU took 5 business days. You don't make an appointment at VSF. Easy as pie

Edited by jacksam

USA charges a lot less than AU???

Finance or spouse visa to USA 9540 baht

Tourist visa to USA 5760

My tgf received her 12 month multiple entry to AU cost 4500baht which included them posting the result and the VSF service charge

Bottom line, the US government's position is that everyone who comes to the US is going to stay. It is up to the applicant to demonstrate otherwise.

In your situation it would be relatively easy for your wife to apply for a "change of status" on her visa after entering USA, thus circumventing a bunch of the paperwork and checks that are to be done outside of USA when applying for an immigrant visa. This is a legitimate action, but not one looked upon favorably by US Immigration, thus they try to screen for this up front.

The fact that you are married is not a factor in your favor. The fact that you are "sponsoring" makes no difference either.

What is in your favor is the fact that you are working outside USA and have been on Extension of Stay Based on Retirement (not "retirement visa") in Thailand for the past four years.

The house, the cars, the land are not so compelling. Even the children, not so much...consider how many Thai children are being raised by aunts and grandparents. Plus, I took from your original post that the children are traveling to USA with you.

Other accounts on ThaiVisa from people who have been through the process mention that one of the factors strongly considered is the Thai citizen's employment.

I cannot speak to Siam Legal, good, bad, or otherwise.

I would say, search through the archives here for some accounts of going through the process...I know there are a few that are very detailed.

Then make your preparations and have the wife apply for the tourist visa. The worst outcome is that it is refused.

Good luck.

First of all I am not your mate.

I'm not aware of the statistics that back up your claim. As for visitor visa to AU for thai gf, have been through that process 3 times. It's simple and straightforward. Also does not involve an interview. In fact can do it online.

By your own words....saying I would have ZERO chance of taking tgf to USA....'..why?

If you read carefully I criticized AU and USA policy by pointing to 15 day visa exempt to Japan for thai nationals. BTW my tiff last visa to AU took 5 business days. You don't make an appointment at VSF. Easy as pie

I am not exactly sure why you would think your GF's chances of getting a US tourist visa are zero. Based on the information you posted here, I think she probably has a better chance than most of the US citizens with GF's or Wives.

1. Multiple AUS visa's and returned without overstay

2. Current valid AUS visa

3. Travelling with AUS citizen to the US

4. The fact both of you have traveled together to AUS

Add all that proof along with your Passport showing you are living here in Thailand, and I would bet she will get a visa with no issue, probably even a 10 year with her AUS visa history. The likely hood of her staying in the US with a long term AUS BF are slim.

• Like 1

In your situation it would be relatively easy for your wife to apply for a "change of status" on her visa after entering USA, thus circumventing a bunch of the paperwork and checks that are to be done outside of USA when applying for an immigrant visa. This is a legitimate action, but not one looked upon favorably by US Immigration, thus they try to screen for this up front.

It is only legitimate provided, the intent prior to entering the US was not to immigrate. With social media it is very easy to see what intent was prior to arriving, all it takes is your wife/gf/kids tweeting or posting a message "Moving to America" prior to arrival. The AOS officers do check all social media accounts, as it was brought up in our interview back in 2009, the officer said our FB showed relationship as married.

If she gets the visa I we will be going for 6 days in December. and will be back to celebrate my son birthday and my birthday wish 24 Dec and my son 25 Dec. I will be celebrating our birthday at home in Thailand not in the us.