Violence on Beach Rd

SidJames

I was having a beer in a new bar ironically called Coconut Bar on beach rd & the corner of soi 13/3 just watching the world go by on Thursday night.

It was about 11.30pm & next that I saw were gangs of people going hell for leather.

Blokes were joining in from all around & I saw one man leave his fried chicken street stall & run in still wearing his apron swinging punches until one guy, a farang broke free wearing a motorbike helmut & ran across beach rd being pursued by this group.

He dropped a couple of them as he was trying to escape & ran up soi 13/3 before stopping.

He took his helmut off, turned & started to wai the ensuing men who continued he punch & kick him a couple of times before he backed off again & ran into the Italian restaurant.

A policeman turned up almost immediately & the crowd of men dispersed but were back slapping each other & what seemed like congratulating themselves on a job well down.

I was completely shocked by the instant violence of this mob & how they all seemed to join in on the attack even though it was not their business, some had even pulled out what looked like iron bars

The farang was either English or Aussie by what I could hear of him & the cops took him away, more I'm guessing for his safety.

He knew had to handle himself & caught a few of them nicely as he was trying to get away.

If fact the way that mob went at him, he would have been in serious trouble if he hadn't fought his way out

He keep saying to the cop that he had no idea why he was attacked & his bike was left on it side on beach rd.

I never saw the prelude to the incident but the bar girls asked the motorbike guys why he was attacked & with a few minutes we were told 3 differing stories none of which seemed believable.

Sounds much like any British city or large town on a Friday or Saturday night. whistling.gif

20 onto 1?

Not anytown that I know although London has a present particular problem with blacks kids attacking other black kids.

Postcode wars is what I think they are referred to & there have 10 murders of this kind in 2015 in London

Without knowing what set it all off, it's impossible to pass judgment.

But the flip side is "back home" where people are robbed and murdered and women are raped or stabbed in plain view of dozens of bystanders, and nobody lifts a finger other than dialing 911 (if their phones aren't busy recording it on video for sale to the media).

Different set of circumstances, different cultures and very different views on the reliability of the local popo and the justice systems cause different crowd reactions to situations. And I'm certainly not in a position to judge.

Probably not the falang I once saw riding his motorcycle down Beach Road and stupidly trying to weave around some stuff on the left-hand side until he crashed right into a food cart sending everything flying. Not attacked but he did stay to sort out the resultant mess.

If you 'attack' a Thai in the street, regardless of the reason, even if its in self defence, you take on the whole street as you are the foreigner (who should not be here in the first place) and attacking a Thai is interpreted as attacking all Thais.

Its the same mentality as attacking a single soi dog that belongs to a pack. The soi dog pack will attack you as its their only defence mechanism.

Your general Thai has never been taught to think, just react and do as they are told. This is why a Thai is perfectly capable of 'cutting off their nose to spite their face'. They react with their emotions, without anything being processed between the ears first! Its similar to the Western 'football hooligan' problem. All testosterone no brain power.

If you 'attack' a Thai in the street, regardless of the reason, even if its in self defence, you take on the whole street as you are the foreigner (who should not be here in the first place) and attacking a Thai is interpreted as attacking all Thais.

Its the same mentality as attacking a single soi dog that belongs to a pack. The soi dog pack will attack you as its their only defence mechanism.

Your general Thai has never been taught to think, just react and do as they are told. This is why a Thai is perfectly capable of 'cutting off their nose to spite their face'. They react with their emotions, without anything being processed between the ears first! Its similar to the Western 'football hooligan' problem. All testosterone no brain power.

a Thai is perfectly capable of 'cutting off their nose to spite their face'.

Before I married a Thai I would have disagreed, but now I have to agree.

This happens to Thais also. I saw a video not long ago of a Thai guy in a car who hit a scooter. People stopped their cars, pulled him out, and kicked him in the head until I think he was dead. Horrible mob mentality here. it's not just directed towards foreigners. Though these are the ones that typically make it into the English new reports.

This happens to Thais also. I saw a video not long ago of a Thai guy in a car who hit a scooter. People stopped their cars, pulled him out, and kicked him in the head until I think he was dead. Horrible mob mentality here. it's not just directed towards foreigners. Though these are the ones that typically make it into the English new reports.

Maybe a good reason to carry a gun for protection and learn how to use it, I would hate to be a helpless victim

If you 'attack' a Thai in the street, regardless of the reason, even if its in self defence....

How does one get in a situation where they are attacking someone in self defense?

If someone is being attacked in the street, do you think onlookers should just ignore it?

If you 'attack' a Thai in the street, regardless of the reason, even if its in self defence....

How does one get in a situation where they are attacking someone in self defense?

If someone is being attacked in the street, do you think onlookers should just ignore it?

Can you win against multiple Thai fighters, as it's never one on one?

Myself, I'll call the cops to sort it as that's their job.

Maybe a good reason to carry a gun for protection and learn how to use it, I would hate to be a helpless victim

You must be keen to stay in a Thai jail! Can a farang even own a gun in Thailand?

You must be keen to stay in a Thai jail! Can a farang even own a gun in Thailand?

Yes

Without knowing what set it all off, it's impossible to pass judgment.

But the flip side is "back home" where people are robbed and murdered and women are raped or stabbed in plain view of dozens of bystanders, and nobody lifts a finger other than dialing 911 (if their phones aren't busy recording it on video for sale to the media).

Different set of circumstances, different cultures and very different views on the reliability of the local popo and the justice systems cause different crowd reactions to situations. And I'm certainly not in a position to judge.

True that. But, it is rare in the West, for a whole crowd to drop what they are doing, and join in, just for the hell of it. Unless it is a Man U game, or something like that. Here, they like to fight in packs. I have very rarely seen a Thai man take someone on one on one, unless he has some sort of weapon.

I am seeing more and more disdain for foreigners, in the major tourist spots like Samui, Phuket, and Pattaya. The locals there are very, very jaded, and do not seem to acknowledge where their livelihood is coming from, in many instances.

In Bangkok and Chiang Mai, and in the provinces and smaller towns, people seem relaxed and friendly, in my opinion. I recently left Samui, and am thrilled with the decision. Many of the locals there had a bad attitude. Some are very nice, it just depends.

When you live in a tourist town you will, by default, be dealing with the dregs of thai society.....the useless feckers who are good for nothing except being bouncers, beach vendors, motocy drivers, jetski renters, dvd sellers.....you get the idea.

The sex industry attracts the majority of these louts followed by areas like entertainment, transport etc....none of these dickheads has ever received any training in courtesy....so you are always at risk.

My advice: do what they do....employ the duplicitious thai smile wherever and whenever you can, keep you mouth shut, get your rocks off and leave in one piece.

Edited by JHolmesJr

Stop visiting Pattaya. They think we will stand by and watch the violence happening against innocent tourists? Time for a boycott. Contact your embassy and tell them about this! Our embassies have a duty to tell tourists when a place is dangerous and unsafe for travel.

Well, fighting fire with fire works if you have more fire than the other guy(s). Not saying stand your ground, unless you have done this before. Even then, one knife in the guts, and you lose!

Edited by jmccarty