Advice on Buying a Kindle.

NoshowJones

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a Kindle for 3 years now. Recently upgraded to the Paperwhite with the inbuilt light.

Absolutely fantastic device. Inbuilt light means i do not disturb my partner and during a power outage I can still read.

I do not know about secondhand ones from Ebay. But there would be plenty of people that have upgraded that may want to sell their Kindle to you. Hopefully in your area.

Pm me if you need any books. I have more than 80,000 here on my hard drive.biggrin.png

Edited by tlcwaterfall

My Kindle is a few years old and the battery doesn't last anywhere as long as it used to. So beware of that if buying a secondhand Kindle. It's still ok, as I only re-charge every few days, but when new I only had to re-charge once a month or so,

I wouldnt buy a second hand from ebay, but buying a refurbished one from Amazon is fine, my first one, the screen went all funny, returned it to Amazon (out of warranty) but purchased a refurbished basic kindle very cheap, its nothing fancy and just for reading. Had that almost 4 yrs now without a problem.

I would never buy a Kindle, because you'll be stuck with the MOBI format.

My advice is to buy a Kobo, reads any format, and especially good with Epub (the most used format).

Backlit Kobo are now available for 98 dollars, new in the box.

My advice is to buy a Kobo, reads any format, and especially good with Epub (the most used format).

http://www.cnet.com/topics/ereaders/best-e-book-readers/

I would never buy a device other than a Kindle. As for different formats there is a handy little program called Calibre which will convert books to your preferred format.

There are thousands and thousands of books available in the Kindle format. As I mentioned in my previous post I have 80,000 books in Mobi format on my hard drive.

Very easy to get books in Kindle format.

Edited by tlcwaterfall

I would suggest buying a tablet rather than a Kindle. Something like the Samsung Tab S 1 or 2 8in or 10in. I find mine great to read books or magazines and you can see the result in beautiful colour. The super Amoled screens are fantastic. Also of course many other uses apart from just reading books.

I would suggest buying a tablet rather than a Kindle. Something like the Samsung Tab S 1 or 2 8in or 10in. I find mine great to read books or magazines and you can see the result in beautiful colour. The super Amoled screens are fantastic. Also of course many other uses apart from just reading books.

http://www.ereaderortablet.com/

Just to give a different point of view.

Tried reading on my tablet and my phone. Just get eye strain after a while. Battery life on the Kindle is also far better than a tablet.

Kindle is much lighter than a tablet as well.

I own a couple of iPads and for reading books, I find that nothing beats my Kindle Paper White. Battery life, ease on the eyes, lightweight, works great in the sunlight or in the dark, a massive, massive choice of books - the only thing that would get me to replace it would be an improved Kindle.

Kindle for reading 100%. If you are a big reader and read a lot before bed time, then the Kindle is what you need. I have an iPad but never read books on it, especially not before bedtime due to the screen. Battery life is awesome on the Kindle & they are more light weight.

I still have the older basic Kindle without back light but I will try the paper white next. Just get a new one, absolute bargain if you ask me.

Where are most of you folks buying/renting ebooks?

What are the price ranges?

Purchasing/renting paperback books, how is the price

comparison to ebook purchases/renting?smile.png

I buy books direct from Amazon, plenty of free titles too. The ones I pay for are only a few bucks unless you buy brand new releases which cost a little more. A friend of mine gave me a dvd with 10,000 books on it that I can drag and drop onto my Kindle. I calculated it would take me about 15 years to get through that lot! Edited by DMC1

I would never buy a device other than a Kindle. As for different formats there is a handy little program called Calibre which will convert books to your preferred format.

There are thousands and thousands of books available in the Kindle format. As I mentioned in my previous post I have 80,000 books in Mobi format on my hard drive.

Depends how you want to use it.

My niece is at university and asked if she could have a Kindle so she could read the book as she was working on her laptop. As it happened we were with my sister in law and she had a Kindle and used Calibre, so I checked it out. It doesn't work very well with textbooks, the software cannot handle the images, come out as black boxes. Settled for a Samsung tablet, works great.

My niece is at university and asked if she could have a Kindle so she could read the book as she was working on her laptop. As it happened we were with my sister in law and she had a Kindle and used Calibre, so I checked it out. It doesn't work very well with textbooks, the software cannot handle the images, come out as black boxes. Settled for a Samsung tablet, works great.

Yes. I agree that many people will have different needs.

However OP has stated he only wants to read Ebooks and wants a Kindle.

Edited by tlcwaterfall

Apologies, I did not realise that all ebooks were image free.

Apologies, I did not realise that all ebooks were image free.

Yes they are, I also made the mistake to buy a study book for my kindle (Reading Thai) and it was a disaster as the book was made in color and the images just did not work (shame that they were allowed to sell it for kindle). However 99% of all the books I read are just normal reading books. I haven't had a moment regret buying it. I sometimes compare the books I buy (or download) with prices in Thai shops and the ebooks are quite a lot cheaper (in general). They should be even cheaper as there is no printing or distribution involved but I think prices are kept high intentionally.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and love it. It reads exceptionally well in bright sunlight, the darkest nighttime, and anywhere in between. I sync books and reading progress within a book between the Kindle and my smartphone and tablet, so I can continue reading wherever I am with whichever device I happen to have. But, all other things being equal, I choose to read from the Kindle.

I recommend getting a new one. Amazon sells them at about cost. Get a cover for it, and make sure you have a plug adapter.

Edited by Northwindhermit

I just purchased my third Kindle from Amazon, it should be here in a couple days. Just bite the bullet go online and buy from Amazon you get the one year warrantee and its delivered right to your house. I see they have the entry level starting at $119.00 then you add shipping and customs total about $150.00. The model I bought has 3g same as the one I'm replacing, I've purchased and downloaded books in the middle of Issan out in my in-laws rice farm using the 3g. I mean you just can't get any better than a Kindle go for it if you are an avid reader as I, you won't be sorry.

I have had a Kindle for 3 years now. Recently upgraded to the Paperwhite with the inbuilt light.

Absolutely fantastic device. Inbuilt light means i do not disturb my partner and during a power outage I can still read.

I do not know about secondhand ones from Ebay. But there would be plenty of people that have upgraded that may want to sell their Kindle to you. Hopefully in your area.

Pm me if you need any books. I have more than 80,000 here on my hard drive.biggrin.png

Thanks mate, I will keep that in mind.

My Kindle is a few years old and the battery doesn't last anywhere as long as it used to. So beware of that if buying a secondhand Kindle. It's still ok, as I only re-charge every few days, but when new I only had to re-charge once a month or so,

Yes, but I'm sure you can buy a new battery if required. I bought a second hand Ipad1 in MBK about three years ago, it has been great

and the battery is still as good as ever.

Yes, but I already have an ipad, all I really want is too read books.

http://www.ereaderortablet.com/

Just to give a different point of view.

Tried reading on my tablet and my phone. Just get eye strain after a while. Battery life on the Kindle is also far better than a tablet.

Kindle is much lighter than a tablet as well.

Yes, I am thinking now between the Kindle paperwhite, and the other one from Japan. I will PM you shortly.