do not bring your Thai mate to farangland.

VIPinthailand

Surely Thais living in the west are better off then Farangs living in Thailand.

Once in and have obtained their visas, there are no restrictions on them. They get the same rights as citizens, no money required in the bank, no 90 day and yearly visa kiss A`s crap, can work, own anything and later on have the options of obtaining full citizenship, a system almost impossible for Farangs in Thailand, full access to EEC countries, including keeping their Thai citizenships, having the best of all worlds.

Advising Thais not to move to Farangland, do me a favour, who are you trying to kid? Most Thais would jump at the offer given half a chance.

You post was misguided anyway but your last sentence demonstrated beyond any shred of doubt that you know absolutely sweet F.A. about Thailand or its people.

Thais moving to the West might have all the rights to all the things you mention but how many can realistically afford them?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once in and have obtained their visas, there are no restrictions on them. They get the same rights as citizens, no money required in the bank, no 90 day and yearly visa kiss A`s crap, can work, own anything and later on have the options of obtaining full citizenship, a system almost impossible for Farangs in Thailand, full access to EEC countries, including keeping their Thai citizenships, having the best of all worlds.

Advising Thais not to move to Farangland, do me a favour, who are you trying to kid? Most Thais would jump at the offer given half a chance.

You post was misguided anyway but your last sentence demonstrated beyond any shred of doubt that you know absolutely sweet F.A. about Thailand or its people.

Thais moving to the West might have all the rights to all the things you mention but how many can realistically afford them?

What utter dribble.

Most of the Thais I have known who have settled in the UK have become very successful, married with families, business owners or working.

This OP is nonsense. as if all "farangland", 'farangs" and Thai wives were the same so that you can apply a general rule

Too many variables to consider. What country, where in that country, how supportive is the husband, what is the economic situation of the couple, the personality of the wife, her family situation back home, etc etc

Living in Farangland with Thai wife for over seven years, wife perfectly adjusted here,. Have many Thai friends in farangland, all relatively content . happy an successful.

Our plans were to eventually retire in Thailand, now the wife wants to maintain our residence in Florida, and only spend a few months in Thailand,

I agree, I know at some point I will get to old for Thailand and will need a place to return to.

My Mrs hated it here in Scotland first time and needed back home as soon as her Thai food was finished lasted about 4 days and she was back again in Scotland within about two weeks and by then I had found a Thai food shop about 1hr drive from our house and now she just loves it here especially when the snow is here and the fridge still full of papaya for her salads, she thought she would starve in Scotland first visit and now she knows where the best prawns & langoustines are in the world right here at the local fish shop. If the food is ok then they are ok, and her favourite snack is now a single fish at the local chippie, as to growing fat that has to do with exercise and daily walking the dogs makes sure of the slim hour glass figure. Get them over to farangland its a wonderful experience for them as not many normal Thais get the opportunity to travel.

It's a funny one this. We spent a couple of months in the UK and decided that it was nice to visit but we wouldn't want to live there. We've now been in Saudi the past three years and my wife actually prefers it there to Thailand. Less stress and no family issues. She has many Thai friends in Saudi and we have a great social life.

There is a lot of truth to that. Our only goal was to get my wife a citizenship so she can travel at will with me as my wife and a US citizen and later on if I should die before her she has access to my SS benefits. Its why we decided to stay and marry in the US versus marrying in Thailand. It makes everything much easier

We built a beautiful house in Thailand and it will do us just fine. She has told me over and over, she has no need to ever come back to the US without me. With all of the perks you stated above one must not forget they come with a steep price. There is no such thing as Freedom. It is very expensive to stay in the US and there are a lot more restrictions than one might want to believe there are. I have always enjoyed the posts on this and a few other sites about how one place is so much better than the other. It simply is not true. But if you look at it objectively and can plan it all out, the best course of action is to enjoy the best of both places.

All in all I say its a great experience and what you make of it. It goes both ways, us men got to see their world and now they get to see yours. Not sure why men fear they will turn into these demon women and gain 100 lbs and go find a new man. I find it kind of odd. All I can figure is that it has to be the gal they are with. I do know there are the gals playing the men for a ticket out. Choose your women wisely is all I can say.

I think they're right to be afraid their women will find a new man.

The pool of farang men in Thailand these women have to choose from is quite limited

When a Thai woman arrives in a country full of farang men, she looks at her man and very quickly realises why he came to Thailand looking for women in the first place

From that point on, the writing's on the wall.

The job in the Thai restaurant or supermarket exposes her to other Thai women and more farang men and, before you know it, the man who imported her finds himself cuckolded

All good points and why I suspect many keep their GF/Wife away from their homelands, likely a smart move on their part. Another one is the harsh stares and criticisms some take when the age gap is very far apart. It creates a tremendous amount of social pressure on both and when the sub 20 year old gal realizes she can find a late 20 early 30 year old guy the 50 + or older man is quickly dumped unless of course he is well kept and is financially stable offering her security. We need to keep in mind not all women from SE Asia are shallow materialistic money hungry gold diggers. Some truly love their man and are quite happy and secure.

What utter dribble.

Most of the Thais I have known who have settled in the UK have become very successful, married with families, business owners or working.

"Most"?

Who the hell are you that YOUR anecdotal evidence should be regarded as an accurate or representative sample of all Thais settled in the West? How many do you know? 5? 10?

I took issue with your stupid assertion that most Thais, given the chance to move to the West, would jump at it.

You don't know anything about Thais

Wanting to chime in here with agreement to CypressHill, What Cyberfarang says is not true at all. Having lived in Thailand for nearly 7 years before returning back here a few years ago. Not all Thais would jump to move to the west. This was a huge discussion at many lunches where I worked. Most said they would love to visit but had no desire to move there. They are perfectly comfortable at home. They stated the US is too expensive, has too many laws which are very confusing and to find a job that that could support them would be very difficult. Most of the Thais I worked with were all graduates and were Engineers, Planners, Managers. They had a nice house, cars, and loved all the Thai Holidays. In the US they said they would have to work all the time to break even. Moving to another country is not for everyone.

Maybe a better statement would be that some would jump at the opportunity to tag along with a husband because they would have no worries as the man would cover it all. HUGE difference when there are no worries about sustaining yourself. Honestly I doubt my GF would have come had I not offered to take care of us.

I think things changed a lot, Thailand isn't some 3rd world country anymore opposed to say 10 years ago, sure ain't saying they're rich but it improved an awful lot.

I know plenty of bar workers that wouldn't want to live in a foreign country, they have a good life already, often with multiple boyfriends, lot of friends to go out with to catch a movie, visit MK, clubs and what not, enough money to support their selves properly and once in a while send some money home.

Now it also depends for a large part on the foreigner that asks them to go of course, if it's a nice looking 20-30 year old guy many would love to go (eg real love), however in the gay scene these type of foreigners are extremely rare. Good looking young gays simply don't come to Thailand, at least I've never seen any.

The taste of Thai people is kind of funny though, it always amazes me who they consider handsome, eg people that I wouldn't even give a second look, I guess they simply don't know any better.

I totally agree, especially considering that the American Dream has always been, just a dream and nothing more. Thais, if they use their noggins, can provide much better for themselves in Thailand, than the average U.S. citizen can do, in the United States, anymore. The U.S. government literally taxes and fines (via multiple avenues of police citation issuings) the average person into the poorhouse. The average U.S, household of four, spends more more money on Health Insurance premiums, than on their monthly house mortgage. For, sure, there are no Thai people, wondering where their next meal is coming from, in Thailand wai2.gif

You are in a word "wrong" about everything.

If you expect them to just sit at home and look at TV and the channels which portray life in America as living in a condo overlooking Central Park.. then yes their view will change to the one you describe.

The first thing you should do is introduce her to rural America and a lot of it.. like take her on a Greyhound bus tour from LA to New York and then let her see for herself. And don't give me any complaint of it's too long.. Thai's take buses from Bangkok to Nakhon wherever all the time.

As a result they will know that view is just reserved for the hi-so.

And I'm saying this because I've seen both versions of Thai's..

Excellent perspective. Thanks for sharing clap2.gifbut no one ,posting to this forum, can be "wrong" about everything, unless, of course, the criticism is coming from a person who believe themselves to be a "know-it-all". TV certainly has more than its fair-share of that arrogant mentality, of brilliant "away-from-home" expat contributors, whistling.gif

I think things changed a lot, Thailand isn't some 3rd world country anymore opposed to say 10 years ago, sure ain't saying they're rich but it improved an awful lot.

I know plenty of bar workers that wouldn't want to live in a foreign country, they have a good life already, often with multiple boyfriends, lot of friends to go out with to catch a movie, visit MK, clubs and what not, enough money to support their selves properly and once in a while send some money home.

Now it also depends for a large part on the foreigner that asks them to go of course, if it's a nice looking 20-30 year old guy many would love to go (eg real love), however in the gay scene these type of foreigners are extremely rare. Good looking young gays simply don't come to Thailand, at least I've never seen any.

The taste of Thai people is kind of funny though, it always amazes me who they consider handsome, eg people that I wouldn't even give a second look, I guess they simply don't know any better.

If they are Thais, living in Thailand, do they really need to know any better, according to your particular values? Thailand is fundamentally a live, and let live society, that is far more socially tolerant, within itself, than anything I've ever seen the U.S.A. UK or OZ, the lands of the "free" whistling.gif

There is a lot of truth to that. Our only goal was to get my wife a citizenship so she can travel at will with me as my wife and a US citizen and later on if I should die before her she has access to my SS benefits. Its why we decided to stay and marry in the US versus marrying in Thailand. It makes everything much easier

We built a beautiful house in Thailand and it will do us just fine. She has told me over and over, she has no need to ever come back to the US without me. With all of the perks you stated above one must not forget they come with a steep price. There is no such thing as Freedom. It is very expensive to stay in the US and there are a lot more restrictions than one might want to believe there are. I have always enjoyed the posts on this and a few other sites about how one place is so much better than the other. It simply is not true. But if you look at it objectively and can plan it all out, the best course of action is to enjoy the best of both places.

All in all I say its a great experience and what you make of it. It goes both ways, us men got to see their world and now they get to see yours. Not sure why men fear they will turn into these demon women and gain 100 lbs and go find a new man. I find it kind of odd. All I can figure is that it has to be the gal they are with. I do know there are the gals playing the men for a ticket out. Choose your women wisely is all I can say.

I think they're right to be afraid their women will find a new man.

The pool of farang men in Thailand these women have to choose from is quite limited

When a Thai woman arrives in a country full of farang men, she looks at her man and very quickly realises why he came to Thailand looking for women in the first place

From that point on, the writing's on the wall.

The job in the Thai restaurant or supermarket exposes her to other Thai women and more farang men and, before you know it, the man who imported her finds himself cuckolded

All good points and why I suspect many keep their GF/Wife away from their homelands, likely a smart move on their part. Another one is the harsh stares and criticisms some take when the age gap is very far apart. It creates a tremendous amount of social pressure on both and when the sub 20 year old gal realizes she can find a late 20 early 30 year old guy the 50 + or older man is quickly dumped unless of course he is well kept and is financially stable offering her security. We need to keep in mind not all women from SE Asia are shallow materialistic money hungry gold diggers. Some truly love their man and are quite happy and secure.

clap2.gif

How can you possibly know that "most Thais would jump at the offer??" They absolutely would not. If you're talking mostly to Thais who are already living in the west, then your sampling is obviously tainted. Most Thais that I meet in Thailand would love to visit western countries, but would never want to leave Thailand permanently. Now there are those Thais from dysfunctional families who have little to no prospects in Thailand and think that the west is paved with gold. Yeah, those Thais may jump at the chance. But normal middle class Thais would not want to leave their family and friends even if it means a higher income.

I didn't take the beloved back to my country because if her mother got sick or her sister got sick she'd be on the next plane back, and I can't afford to be doing all that everytime there is a family crisis.

However, given that ( IMO ) western men marry Thai women BECAUSE they are not like western women, why take them somewhere that they will become just like what we men DON'T want?

When I went to the London embassy to get a visa there were always a few Thai girls with babies hanging around while hubby did the paperwork. Just looking at them I thought "never going to happen to me". Might as well have married a UK girl for all the difference.

I was thinking the same. Many farangs in Thailand will insists that they prefer Thai women over western women because the Thais are more traditional, less encumbered by feminism, more "feminine," etc. Assuming that Thai women assimilate in the US and becomes a "proper" American, wouldn't that defeat the purpose? So as you say, if a farang guy wanted to do that in the first place, why not just marry an American woman and get the real deal? Unless there was another reason.

If they are Thais, living in Thailand, do they really need to know any better, according to your particular values? Thailand is fundamentally a live, and let live society, that is far more socially tolerant, within itself, than anything I've ever seen the U.S.A. UK or OZ, the lands of the "free" whistling.gif

\

Uhh no, it just surprised me how they sometimes adore ugly foreigners lol.... with all the internet and such I expected a little more of them.

Yeah, that's right. My missus is well settled, working and has met dozens of apparently happily married decent Thai women over here. For every moaner there are plenty of happy wives over here.

14 years married today, last 2 and a bit in the UK. I guess she's a keeper.

Post again after she gets citizenship.

Yeah, that's right. My missus is well settled, working and has met dozens of apparently happily married decent Thai women over here. For every moaner there are plenty of happy wives over here.

14 years married today, last 2 and a bit in the UK. I guess she's a keeper.

Post again after she gets citizenship.

Gladly.

I think after 14 years, I am willing to take that bet. And as I said, overall I have been surprised at how long lived most of the marriages I have seen here are.

Maybe I am not finding the stereotypes to be quite as true as I believed. Or maybe I just hang out with better people than you.....

If you are going to insult my wife, sorry mate, but that is always a nono. And she might not have been a millionaire Chinese Thai, but she is a great woman and mother. She would have left me long the times we have had together.

My wife lived in the UK for many years she loved it ,the countryside,the pubs, and her garden ,we had a house overlooking the Crap town we lived in but she even quite liked that ,but she loved our park where we walked around the lake every morning,

She loves it back here as well ,but then she is a lovely intelligent woman and we are still in love after 23 years

i have heard of this farangland place.....seems to be the devil's work.

the women add 100 kg in less than a year..

they see nice things and get so mad you take them to McD

the houses are so big

and many of these farang hear thailand and yell to her, "massssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssage..."

after taking my wife to Australia a few years ago she agreed with me, thai seafood is crap after eating aussie seafood. At least now she understands why I dont eat a lot of seafood in Thailand. She loved the experience but she had to admit it was way too expensive to live there full time, we are both much happier living here and being able to travel when we want too, makes a difference when your wife is smart/educated enough to be able to understand the true facts about all countries without all the bullsh*t.

University degree, and thai/ chinese too????

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that many men that come to Thailand to find a woman are upgrading significantly. When they go back to their home country with their new upgrade they will feel very insecure. They also may fear how the new upgrade will be viewed or accepted. The excuse that they will gain weight of become westernized is just that, an excuse. They more likely reason they don't want to bring them back is that they are worried they will lose them to a man that is upgrading less.

I brought my ex-fiance to America twice when I was still living there. Once she met my friends and the other time she met my family there. I didn't feel any insecurity because we are both roughly the same in most respects (age, education, career..etc). The main difference is our salary, because I am on US wages here (Thailand), but other than that no real upgrade either way except that I can take care of her financially if need be.

My main concern about having her move to the US was how she would cope being away from her family. Other than that I did not worry as she got along great with my friends and family.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that many men that come to Thailand to find a woman are upgrading significantly. When they go back to their home country with their new upgrade they will feel very insecure. They also may fear how the new upgrade will be viewed or accepted. The excuse that they will gain weight of become westernized is just that, an excuse. They more likely reason they don't want to bring them back is that they are worried they will lose them to a man that is upgrading less.

Complete <deleted>,

I never worry about losing my wife, plenty more where she came from.

It's the thought of losing another house that stops me taking her to my home country.

UK houses are a lot harder to get than a Thai wife.

Maybe I am not finding the stereotypes to be quite as true as I believed. Or maybe I just hang out with better people than you.....

I'm sure yours is different.

I'm sure you're different too.

That guy in Phuket thought his was different.

Gotta laugh at all the boasters, "mine is educated, mine didn't come from a bar, I chose more carefully, I dated her for 3 years, I have a lease, I'm better than you", etc.

........... at least 50% of them will get theirs!

You can't argue with statistics.

Well, they aren't all the same are they. Or are we in the realms of "all Thai women" are........ I am willing to take my risks.

By that measure marrying anyone is a risk not worth taking. A mate of mine lost 9mn quid after 1 year of marriage in the UK to a British girl Strewth.....

Well, they aren't all the same are they. Or are we in the realms of "all Thai women" are........ I am willing to take my risks.

By that measure marrying anyone is a risk not worth taking. A mate of mine lost 9mn quid after 1 year of marriage in the UK to a British girl Strewth.....

We agree,

They aren't all the same, 50% will stick with you, 50% will divorce you.

But I can't agree it's a worthwhile risk in the UK, betting your house on 50/50 odds.

Archived