Thumbs down for Thai govt's proposed single Internet gateway

webfact

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This would take Thailand backwards to the late 90's when CAT was the only organisation allowed to have a gateway to the internet outside the country. It was horrendously slow (but that was mainly in the dial-up days) and went down periodically.

It & the firewall should be sent to the nearest waste disposal location with re-education for those who proposed them.

It seems the government has little to no understanding or even concern about how much the economy and the country depends on this key infrastructure system to any modern nation. What, were the plans drawn up on a dinner napkin and presented as such the very next day? Seems they reckon the internet is only used for a bit of chat and a few games. And of course those things are important too, but what is really scary is how tied in so much of the economy and business transactions are totally internet dependent and depend on a functioning internet. The internet is probably so complexly intertwined with everything, I am sure no one really knows what affect launching a single gateway will have. Yet these guys seem to have no idea nor care not one whit about that and are willing to start wagering on really long odds that they will be able to make it all work. It takes little more than a semi-informed view on how the human life on this planet works in 21st century and grain of common sense to see a single gateway is not going to work to put it mildly.

And for what? As for controlling what people say and see on the internet, for anyone even semi-determined they can use encryption along with a few other tools to bore right through the Great Fire Wall of China, so I think Thailand is going to be hard pressed to stop people from accessing content and otherwise doing as they please on the net. There are detailed instructions on other threads on this very website about how to do that and it is not rocket science and will only get easier as more and more people worldwide face obstacles to internet access presented by over-reaching governments. And as I understand it, even just using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) the government or anyone cannot even detect your presence on the internet let alone read or see what you are doing if you don't post anything on sites they have been given access to or easy access to. In fact, the United Nations themselves recommend that anyone using the internet now use a VPN to avoid problems such internet crime and human rights violations by our various sundry self-appointed caretakers throughout the planet.

So, to my luddite mind, it seems then the only way these entities can limit us is by bottlenecking the internet. They cannot detect us if we exercise due dilligence and mask our presence, but guessing we are going to be there if given the bandwidth, they can just make the whole system semi-unuseable and shut people down that way. Unfortunately that semi-unuseability may include the the whole intenet dependent financial system. And of course they cannot just announce that their intention is just to narrow everyone's bandwidth, that would create a strong reaction, so better to just cook the frogs to death slowly by gradually raising the heat this way with the excuse of incompetence or sorry it was all a mistake in the planning and send the scapegoats off to inactive posts.

From the article it seems the junta is unable or unwilling to work with people who have a clue about internet, and that is just par for the course, they seem to know it all and have all the answers. What they are proposing seems to be tied in with and will affect nearly every avenue of this economy, nation and society. So, what's up next, a nuclear plant powered electricity grid for the country planned by the main junta genius honchos off the cuff one afternoon during a coffee break down at the golf course?

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

This is simply a thinly vailed attempt for government control, snooping, and censorship of the internet..freedom of expression and surfing will be forever lost...ultimately the internet police will be knocking on doors sighting some perceived infraction of slander to government officials or monarchy...IMHO

I am totally against a "Great Firewall of Thailand." This seems more in line with governments like China and North Korea has.

I thought this government 's aim is/was to diminish corruption/nepotism, and ultimately increase democratic principles. Good chance I am incorrect in my assertion.

Silly selftaopath, you just don't understand the ways of Thainess.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I am totally against a "Great Firewall of Thailand." This seems more in line with governments like China and North Korea has.

I thought this government 's aim is/was to diminish corruption/nepotism, and ultimately increase democratic principles. Good chance I am incorrect in my assertion.

Very good chance.

Very good chance.

Nothing but posts by scaremongering paranoia addicts so far. Something like this is inevitable, and if done right, you probably wont notice......

Done wrong -yeah, the internet will be shitty.

I used to run The "Great/A bit <deleted>" firewall of Myanmar, It's all about budget and management of info teams

I wonder why the geeks never protested against the Lese Majeste law before? We all know that's what this is about. Typical selfish people don't care about anyone else until the law affects them.

Sadly for Thailand. But the bright side is other places will benefit from Thailand's step backward. Every problem creates an opportunity and this single gateway could be a great opportunity.

Viva la gateway !

Edited by Time Traveller

It would seem the Great Thai Bamboo Wall is only a logical step in following Western Democracies.

For instances, like the British GCHQ with customer oriented attitude is present in their motto "we listen to what you say and type". Seems they stash away 50+ billion records on people EVERY bloody day. Can't see that happen in Thailand, no big enough DataCenter build yet.

It would seem the Great Thai Bamboo Wall is only a logical step in following Western Democracies.

For instances, like the British GCHQ with customer oriented attitude is present in their motto "we listen to what you say and type". Seems they stash away 50+ billion records on people EVERY bloody day. Can't see that happen in Thailand, no big enough DataCenter build yet.

Which Western democracy has a single gateway? Which Western democracy jails people for years on lese majeste charges? Exactly, so don't talk crap.

You have to ask yourself why you have two eyes, ears, kidneys, lungs? Because if you had one and it broke you would be stuffed! Same with an internet gateway. This is about controlling the population and nothing else.

Multiple paths provide capacity and resilience. It also provides efficient routing.

A single path make it very easy for the government to filter, block and control. In reality a single gateway would in reality have many nodes. A single solution would not be able to handle the capacity.

Which Western democracy has a single gateway? Which Western democracy jails people for years on lese majeste charges? Exactly, so don't talk crap.

Western countries are much more sophisticated. Their technological base allows spying without the need to have only a single gateway..

Western countries are much more sophisticated. Their technological base allows spying without the need to have only a single gateway..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/25/trillions_in_surveillance_gchq/

Yeah yeah. Which western democracy a single gateway? Which less sophisticated eastern democracy has a single gateway, for that matter? Which western or eastern democracy jails people for years on lese majeste charges? Which western or eastern democracy spies on their citizens in order to assist in the continuation of that country's military rule?

Yeah yeah. Which western democracy a single gateway? Which less sophisticated eastern democracy has a single gateway, for that matter? Which western or eastern democracy jails people for years on lese majeste charges? Which western or eastern democracy spies on their citizens in order to assist in the continuation of that country's military rule?

Yeah, yeah, did you forget to mention you olny wanted those Western Democracies which have nice weather at the moment?

So, some Western Countries do not require a single Internet Gateway since they're sophisticated enough to be able to handle multiple gateways simultaneously. Of course those Western Democracies do not jail anyone unduly. They just snoop on you to make you feel safe. Big Brother watching (over) you as it were.

Edited by rubl

Yeah, yeah, did you forget to mention you olny wanted those Western Democracies which have nice weather at the moment?

So, some Western Countries do not require a single Internet Gateway since they're sophisticated enough to be able to handle multiple gateways simultaneously. Of course those Western Democracies do not jail anyone unduly. They just snoop on you to make you feel safe. Big Brother watching (over) you as it were.

You say some Western Countries do not require a single Internet gateway. Which ones do and have?

Which Western Countries jail people for years on lese majeste charges?

Don't even bother with your nonsense comments about the weather. No-one is interested and it just highlights the absurdity of your non argument.

Between 12.00 pm and 1.50 pm, did anyone notice that the internet was creepy slow? I couldn't even access Thaivisa for over an hour..... (facebook and twitter didn't work at all

Is this the BETA testing for the Great Firewall already????

You say some Western Countries do not require a single Internet gateway. Which ones do and have?

Which Western Countries jail people for years on lese majeste charges?

Don't even bother with your nonsense comments about the weather. No-one is interested and it just highlights the absurdity of your non argument.

Oh come on Baboon. First you ask me which countries have a single Internet Gateway and now you demand I tell you which have multiple ones? Since even Thailand has multiple gateways (see OP) I assume that certainly Western Countries have multiple ones. Clear? News is when countries go for a single point of entry, again suggesting that's no longer common. Clear?

As for "Which Western Countries jail people for years on lese majeste charges?" who cares. The OP doesn't even mention LM, only the Computer Criminal Act. That's similar to what Western Countries have. furthermore unlike Thailand Western 'democracies' have no problem with in-house know-how and capital to do the snooping. Read a bit in the Snowden files and be happy.