Car Insurance, who's name

worrab

I have just bought a new Honda Jazz that comes with 1 year's free insurance. I have a Driving Licence but my girlfriend does not. Just wondering as to who's name has to be on the Insurance. Mine because I hold a Licence as in UK or her name as she thinks that Thailand has slightly different laws and anyone can be shown as having the Insurance, Licence or no Licence.

Thank you DDbkh. Good grief there are so many pitfalls at times and I appreciate the help from this Forum. I have only just emigrated here so am on a 30 day Tourist Visa and have applied for my 90 day with a result on 8th Oct. Then will be taking the obvious course of going for a retirement visa. Luckily have a friend in the Police Force so will get clarification from him. But will be changing Licence as soon as we move down to Bangsaphannoi in order to be safe.

1) Make sure the Car is in Your name, Place the Insurance in your name - You can have either named drivers only, or have the car insured for any driver which is more common in Thailand.

2) As has already been mentioned: Your IDP is valid for 90 days from entry only if you are on a Visa Exempt Stamp or Tourist Visa.

3) Get a Thai Driving Licence ASAP - Using your IDP in conjunction with your UK licence will make the process a little quicker.

4) Contrary to a post already made - The driving licence is just a licence, its not an ID Card, however, the Police may accept your licence as ID if requested to show ID (other recent threads have discussed this topic).

5) Install a Dash-Cam in your car - silly things happen on the road in Thailand, there is risk of you being blamed for someone else's mistake, dash-cam footage will protect you and can be used as evidence.

You wont get a DL on tourist visa. But if you get your Non-Immi that's one of the first things I'd do.

Of course you can, many reports from members who have done so.

Well, yeah, everything is possible. Depending on location, weather and the last night of the officer in charge. Last time I tried they wanted a work permit. That was in Bangkok.

The driver license is a full picture ID card. As such even accepted at airports as form of identification. That's not about what "the police may accept". It's an official document.

Correct for the most part: I've also had my Thai DL accepted plenty of times when checking in for domestic flights.

However, I've had my Thai DL refused when checking into a domestic flight (which wasn't a hassle as all I had to do was dig my PP out of my bag).

So it seems this is pretty much down the the descretion of the Airport Staff on domestic travel check-in counters, it also depends on the Airline policy.

As such, it would be inaccurate to offer the advice that any foreigner checking in for a Domestic flight can do so with out their Passport, its usually ok, but there is no 100% guarantee.

I'd say it's due to the inconsistency and missing knowledge on all levels. Does not change the fact that a Thai DL is a picture ID card.

Same here, some get a DL with a tourist visa, others need a work permit. TiT :D

I'd say it's due to the inconsistency and missing knowledge on all levels. Does not change the fact that a Thai DL is a picture ID card.

Same here, some get a DL with a tourist visa, others need a work permit. TiT biggrin.png

Agreed - As a Picture ID card its definitely useful to have in your wallet and does function as Valid ID for the majority of eventualities...

Same here, some get a DL with a tourist visa, others need a work permit. TiT biggrin.png

Workpermit is just one of the options to prove address.

So no, workpermit is not required to obtain a DL, and that is nowhere in Thailand a requirement. You must have misunderstood the officer.

You wont get a DL on tourist visa. But if you get your Non-Immi that's one of the first things I'd do. With Thai DL you don't need to carry your passport around as this card serves as full ID card.

Nonsense.

I got my first one on a visa exempt entry.