New Changes For The Extension Of Stay Based On Business

I've read everything here and much of everything posted for some time (here and elsewhere) on the topic, but I'm still wrapping my head around all the Thai employment/immigration laws (a neverending task it seems), so if the following question sounds stupid on its face then I apologize. Does the legal structure of the amity treaty between the US and Thailand significantly affect any of this? More plainly, does being a bloody Yank potentially offer some form of comparative legal relief should one decide to do business in Thailand under this new set of regulations?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the legal structure of the amity treaty between the US and Thailand significantly affect any of this? More plainly, does being a bloody Yank potentially offer some form of comparative legal relief should one decide to do business in Thailand under this new set of regulations?

The advantage is you can own the business 100% as a foreigner. Everything else is the same.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Hi Sunbelt Asia, I have 2 questions.

First:

They will investigate by visiting the work location and ask to see the Thai staff.

My company is registered at my home. Only my maid works here. The other employees (book keeper, compliance, messenger) work from their own homes or motorbike. Does Immigration want to visit their homes? Can I show salary transfers or social security payments to show who they are? Does Immigration want my employees to go to Immigration?

Next question: My company is a new start-up. Although my top line is growing, the company is making losses, and is likely to make losses for the next two-three years. However, the company has well over Bt1m in net worth, and more than enough cash in the bank to pay my salary during that time. Do I meet the requirements for a new extended visa?

Many thanks, Misty

My company is registered at my home. Only my maid works here. The other employees (book keeper, compliance, messenger) work from their own homes or motorbike. Does Immigration want to visit their homes? Can I show salary transfers or social security payments to show who they are? Does Immigration want my employees to go to Immigration?

In most cases, they will give them three hours to show up.

Next question: My company is a new start-up. Although my top line is growing, the company is making losses, and is likely to make losses for the next two-three years. However, the company has well over Bt1m in net worth, and more than enough cash in the bank to pay my salary during that time. Do I meet the requirements for a new extended visa?

From what you stated, it sounds like it would.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

• 5 weeks later...

I have ploughed my way through this and many many more threads and forums only to find that the bottom line is:

Try to do the right thing by law and get screwed or pay to break the law and you are fine.

If you are trying to do the right thing ie do all the paperwork, work permit, correct visas, pay taxes, health insurance for you and your workers and geneally live the life you wanted in Thailand and help the Thais and not try to make a lot of money you are basically stuffed. I lost everything because my business was only small catering to the poorer lower class Thais. Much of the funds were coming straight out of my pocket, as I knew they would as the businesss built. But I was also paying between 34,000 and 45,000 baht just to operate every month. I soon ran out of money and had no choice but to leave LOS. And this all happened before the new changes in law and regulations.

Unfortunately it appears that these new laws will only hurt those who are trying to do the right thing and those who are breaking the law will continue to make money and stay in Thailand unless they clamp down even tighter. It is definately not what you know but who you know and how much money you are willing to part with to the corrupt officials who have the power to shut you down immediately and deport you.

It irks me no-end when you see farangs running bars and using girls to line their nests just by paying money to the local authorities. Some of these people have work permits and some do not. Some have marriage visas and some do not. Some are running illegal Brothels and BJ Bars and yet they get to stay open and operate their sleazy illegal businesses and yet honest people get shut down.

I love Thailand and spent 2 wonderful years there but it is obvious that it is no longer tenable nor viable for honest small businesses to even hope that they will survive.