The Hidden Cost of Moving your Family to Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

Yes, living in thailand with children when you have other options available is being an irresponsible parent. And I'm not just talking about their education either, but in terms of quality of life and health.
Rubbish, i spent my formative years in many countries which were/are far "worse" than Thailand and it did me no harm and the fact my parents where prepared to go to these sorts of places gave them the money to get me a very good education far better than i would have got if they had stayed in farangistan
I have to disagree when it is about Thailand and what is offered here, unless you have money.

I know what you are saying, living abroad wherever can have is advantages over the UK but this is a Thailand forum. I agree with the other poster..it borders on the irresponsible , if you can't afford an international education.

But your assuming an expat family moving here doesnt have money and cant afford international schools or the company that brings the family over may even pay for the international school

All the expat familes i have known who have moved to Thailand have done so for the job and either the company has paid the schooling or the parent(s) are on plenty of money to pay for an international school

International school in Thailand? Are you kidding? That's not people with money. That's people who can't afford boarding schools in Switzerland, or the UK, or America.

Oh do give it a rest, your just making yourself look an even bigger fool than you have already shown yourself to be...maybe the parents dont want to put their kids in boarding school and want them home everynight....he is you lecturing about being a responsible parent and your talking about boarding schools 10, 000 miles from the parents :blink:.....shall we discuss responsible parenting again shall we ?

International school my daughter went to was very very good both on a pastoral level as well as an academic level. These people have money and prefer the kids to be taught locally, why not it's good quality.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, living in thailand with children when you have other options available is being an irresponsible parent. And I'm not just talking about their education either, but in terms of quality of life and health.
Rubbish, i spent my formative years in many countries which were/are far "worse" than Thailand and it did me no harm and the fact my parents where prepared to go to these sorts of places gave them the money to get me a very good education far better than i would have got if they had stayed in farangistan
I have to disagree when it is about Thailand and what is offered here, unless you have money.

I know what you are saying, living abroad wherever can have is advantages over the UK but this is a Thailand forum. I agree with the other poster..it borders on the irresponsible , if you can't afford an international education.

But your assuming an expat family moving here doesnt have money and cant afford international schools or the company that brings the family over may even pay for the international school

All the expat familes i have known who have moved to Thailand have done so for the job and either the company has paid the schooling or the parent(s) are on plenty of money to pay for an international school

International school in Thailand? Are you kidding? That's not people with money. That's people who can't afford boarding schools in Switzerland, or the UK, or America.

I think you are mistaken, based on my experience of a top tier international school here.

Usually parents want the best for their children. The only thing you've said is that Thailand is good because it's not the worst place. Well if you're happy with that, who am I to argue.

So I concede. You win Soutpeel. Thailand is a great place for children. It has no issues with pollution. It has lots of safe places for children to go, like parks, libraries and museums. It has world class sports training facilites and education. I guess that's why the world's wealthy are all sending their children to schools in Thailand.

Oh give the whinging a rest, and stop being silly...yes i win....been there seen that got the t-shirt....if your so unhappy in Thailand why dont you go back to farangistan and teach people the rules of parenting ? rolleyes.gif

Oh, the old "if your so unhappy in Thailand why don't you go back to..." line.

Ok. I already did leave Thailand. Yes my children's lives were a factor in that decision.

I gave an opinion on what I think of Thailand's suitability for raising children and I get attacked for that. Oh well. If that's the kind of place you want to live in, where only positive opinions are allowed. Good for you.

You didnt give an opinion, you attacked every comment, you called people irresponsible parents, you where giving up called for parenting advice etc....but it all makes sense now.. ..

your another one of those member, like a few others on TV who have left / failed in Thailand for what ever reason and then spend your time on a Thailand based forum slagging the place off every chance you get....you bileous posts all make sense now

;)

While I accept Soutpeel's argument that raising children in different cultures has many benefits, returning the discussion to Thailand v home country.

I believe that the best decision we as parents of two western kids being raised in Thailand made was to return to the UK and have them educated in UK state schools.

A couple of caveats - We had the choice (and the means to choose) the best international schools in Thailand, and the choice (means to choose) of raising our kids in an area back in the UK were they would have access to the best state schools.

It was, and remains, our considered opinion, that the schools our children attended in the UK were better than any of the schools in Thailand.

Its not simply a matter of teaching or facilities, but a whole range of cultural issues and very importantly exposure to people from a wide range of social backgrounds.

Two particular issues we had with the schools in Thailand - the school pandering to the families of the extremely wealthy kids and the very clear signs we saw of the impact of Thai societal norms on our children, in particular our daughter.

We all of us make choices according to what choices we had, with a full choice of options we chose to raise and educate our children in the UK - we have absolutely no regrets on that matter.

They and we have happy memories of their infant and early primary school years in Thailand, but when the serious end of education came up - back to the UK was our choice.

We chose not to put our children in the very best of Thai schools - I'm eternally grateful we had the only choice we had was some second rate Thai school or the Thai state sector. If that's your option, stay west.

re : dentists,i live at Phra khanong,i had a "friend" stay a couple of months ago, had raving toothache,( no money to pay) a new dentist across from my condo, i say i will pay, so we go in and it is 700 Baht, for an extraction, she comes out all smiles, 1200 Baht, "what?" oh i have teeth polish as well,(500baht) so a dam good deal i think,

You guessed wrong then....what are you going on about anyway ?

and for the record my child travelled to a few countries growing up as well with me and some "worse" than Thailand and she has just started her 2nd year at medical school in the UK....so much for your first rule of parenting....

Farangistan...anti western ....LOL your delusional my friend

It has world class sports training facilites and education. All up, I guess that's why the world's wealthy are all sending their children to schools in Thailand.

Yep and that keeps all the British and American kids off the streets, away from crack and meth, stealing cars, knocking up 14 year olds and gang warfare, doesn't it?

Your life is worth nothing in Thailand, using public transportation or your own you risk your life daily. Good medical care is expensive as are imported drugs administered by Thai hospitals.

I can't argue against people who think like you any more, there's so many people that seem not to get it right here in Thailand and end up being bitter and blaming the country and its people instead of themselves.

Well perhaps,just perhaps they are right LOL

I would have two major concerns of schooling in Thailand:

1. The lack of freedom of speech. Once in high school there should be a heavy emphasis on politics and free thinking and in my Western high school we certainly found ourselves discussing politics quite frequently in many different classes. I don't know how you have a school or an educational system under article 44.

2. Classes being slowed down way too much by rich kids/English as a 2nd language students... this won't be politically correct but many Thais I met who went through the international schools and who are obviously well educated and intelligent communicate in English very slowly and I don't see how this would not become a bore/drag on the class... and when you add in that the school is run as a business to appease rich parents and the Thai social rules about face and class... it seems like a bit of a disaster.

Two particular issues we had with the schools in Thailand - the school pandering to the families of the extremely wealthy kids and the very clear signs we saw of the impact of Thai societal norms on our children, in particular our daughter.

I'd like to hear more about this.

I would have two major concerns of schooling in Thailand:

1. The lack of freedom of speech. Once in high school there should be a heavy emphasis on politics and free thinking and in my Western high school we certainly found ourselves discussing politics quite frequently in many different classes. I don't know how you have a school or an educational system under article 44.

2. Classes being slowed down way too much by rich kids/English as a 2nd language students... this won't be politically correct but many Thais I met who went through the international schools and who are obviously well educated and intelligent communicate in English very slowly and I don't see how this would not become a bore/drag on the class... and when you add in that the school is run as a business to appease rich parents and the Thai social rules about face and class... it seems like a bit of a disaster.

As to your second point. Never experienced this as most kids are taught in the English medium from a very early age, if anything their Thai suffers.

Also if it is an English curriculum that is what it is..the English way by very experienced English teachers..

There are waiting lists at the top tier schools..

I will say the biggest downside is that the rich parents are obnoxious...and to put it politely this behaviour starts to project itself of how some student behaviour especially the girls in the latter years..

International school are very good for mixed raced children..

As guesthouse says...if your only choice is the Thai system you have to go home..

Ok. I already did leave Thailand. Yes my children's lives were a factor in that decision.

I gave an opinion on what I think of Thailand's suitability for raising children and I get attacked for that. Oh well. If that's the kind of place you want to live in, where only positive opinions are allowed. Good for you.

You didnt give an opinion, you attacked every comment, you called people irresponsible parents, you where giving up called for parenting advice etc....but it all makes sense now.. ..

your another one of those member, like a few others on TV who have left / failed in Thailand for what ever reason and then spend your time on a Thailand based forum slagging the place off every chance you get....you bileous posts all make sense now

wink.png

I'm a Thailand failure? hahahaha, that's great Soutpeel. You really made me laugh today. Anyway, if I'm going to fail anywhere, I'm glad it's in thailand.

And BTW, I'm not "slagging off thailand every chance I get". If there's a topic I'm interested in on the automatic email from TV I get, then yes I will reply. But if you want to make it a private club where only certain things can be said, then maybe you can lobby the site admin.

Edited by Time Traveller

Really, life is worth nothing in Thailand..... How biter are you.. Where are you from ?

Your life is worth nothing in Thailand, using public transportation or your own you risk your life daily. Good medical care is expensive as are imported drugs administered by Thai hospitals.

How many years have you lived here? I started coming here in 1975 and have lived here many years now.

Who cares how many years you've lived here - what are you, 8 or something?

What's with all the dick waving on this forum? Whenever there's a disagreement, somebody (often more than one person) feels the need to announce how many years they have lived here as if that somehow proves their point. You could be the most unobservant, bigoted person on the planet for all anybody else knows (I'm not saying you are but you could be). If it's taken you forty years to formulate an opinion on life in Thailand, there's a fair chance you're a little slower than average too. If it hasn't taken you that long, why mention it?

Moving a foreign family to Thailand is about 0.5% of the expats.

If you take the retired couples out of the stats. ......... 0.1% with young children.

The other 99.5% are single men (and a few single women).

Anyone moving western (non-Thai) children (of school age) out here should be arrested and charged with child abuse.

Like your comment about kids....I think thai schools are thee years back to any other even in asia....

The tricky thing is that the expat cost of living indexes don't include education, financing/interest, cars and the tax system and that is where Thailand compares rather negative to other countries.

Healthcare being another big consideration, especially with a young family.

A (rich) friend of mine paid GBP 20,000 for an operation here last year.

7 years ago i paid €49,000 (at that time GBP 38,500) for an open-heart operation in Germany. in Thailand it would have been 35% less.

The tricky thing is that the expat cost of living indexes don't include education, financing/interest, cars and the tax system and that is where Thailand compares rather negative to other countries.

Healthcare being another big consideration, especially with a young family.

A (rich) friend of mine paid GBP 20,000 for an operation here last year.

7 years ago i paid €49,000 (at that time GBP 38,500) for an open-heart operation in Germany. in Thailand it would have been 35% less.

Well it's like buying a used car. The cheaper option is nice when things work out. But when they don't? If medical incompetence in that operation caused serious effects to your health. What difference in the compensation claim against the doctor in German v. Thailand?

Typically any insurance Thai doctors have is miniscule compared with insurance western medical surgeons are required to have.

Edited by Time Traveller

Really, life is worth nothing in Thailand..... How biter are you.. Where are you from ?

How many years have you lived here? I started coming here in 1975 and have lived here many years now.

Who cares how many years you've lived here - what are you, 8 or something?

What's with all the dick waving on this forum? Whenever there's a disagreement, somebody (often more than one person) feels the need to announce how many years they have lived here as if that somehow proves their point. You could be the most unobservant, bigoted person on the planet for all anybody else knows (I'm not saying you are but you could be). If it's taken you forty years to formulate an opinion on life in Thailand, there's a fair chance you're a little slower than average too. If it hasn't taken you that long, why mention it?

So you don't think there is any relationship between experience and understand of a topic, e.g Thailand.

Don't you think if you came here and experienced it as a young person, got married, had children, experienced the education system, the hospital system, the judicial system, how "things" work here ..worked in thai companies...that none of this is relevant..speak the language. I could go on and itemise experiences to the- enforce that but there is no need.

Opinions changes, ideas are formulated , re- enforced or change with experience ..

To me the most unobservant bigots are the more recent foreigners. Those who got off their arse were outward looking and didn't need a cheap flight to get here are in general in my experience less bigoted more open minded etc...those who discovered it was a cheap place for women, running away from their home countries as seems to many now a days..don't you think they have more " potential" to be the bigoted , disillusioned ones..

If there is one place in this world where experience does count it is Thailand and you don't really understand that until you have been here along time..that is the irony..

I have met people been here 5 mins and think they know it all. Sometimes I will mentioned how long I have been here to re- enforce a point, but in real life almost never..don't care..

Why get so excited if someone does state how long they have been here, same as my wife is different, I don't like being called a farang, they don't like us, I am a guest here, getting a visa is a nightmare..blah, blah, blah..

Everyone formulates an opinion regardless how long they have been here, and that opinion will be valid based on their experience at the time, the longer you have been hear I assure you the more you will understand that's just the way it is..

To me the most unobservant bigots are the more recent foreigners. Those who got off their arse were outward looking and didn't need a cheap flight to get here are in general in my experience less bigoted more open minded etc...those who discovered it was a cheap place for women, running away from their home countries as seems to many now a days..don't you think they have more " potential" to be the bigoted , disillusioned ones..

Those who are fully funded for the rest of their lives, don't have many worries.

Those who have to work to survive in a foreign country may get disillusioned.

So no, I don't agree with you.

Bigoted, is generally a matter of opinion and cultural background, so hard to judge that one.

Generally Thais judge people by their skin colour and nationality and think that entirely right and normal, where most western people would consider that bigoted.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

You just don't release the harm it did you because you refuse to see yourself as you really are and how others see you.

I guess you're not a parent. Let me just tell you the 1st rule of parenting: Just because a kid likes something, doesn't mean it's good for them.

And your last reference to "farangistan" reveals your true character. Strange anti-western bias.

You guessed wrong then....what are you going on about anyway ?

and for the record my child travelled to a few countries growing up as well with me and some "worse" than Thailand and she has just started her 2nd year at medical school in the UK....so much for your first rule of parenting..Dr Zeuss...

Travelling and spending time/experiencing other countries is great for a childs upbringing and education

Farangistan...anti western ....LOL your delusional my friend

Your child is in the UK in medical school and you are in Thailand on a retirement pension. How does that all work out? Is medical school free in the UK? It probably averages at least US $50,000 a year in the USA, how are you doing all from Thailand on your retirement pension?

Sometimes stories just don't make any sense

However, if you read through these forums, you would get the opinion that the expats in Thailand are the richest, most beautiful, most educated and most desired men on this earth.

Funny when you look around at the farangs in Thailand, that is not what a person sees.

It is easy to make up stories with a keyboard, but that is all they are, stories.

Usually parents want the best for their children. The only thing you've said is that Thailand is good because it's not the worst place. Well if you're happy with that, who am I to argue.

So I concede. You win Soutpeel. Thailand is a great place for children. It has no issues with pollution. It has lots of safe places for children to go, like parks, libraries and museums. It has world class sports training facilites and education. I guess that's why the world's wealthy are all sending their children to schools in Thailand.

Oh give the whinging a rest, and stop being silly...yes i win....been there seen that got the t-shirt....if your so unhappy in Thailand why dont you go back to farangistan and teach people the rules of parenting ? rolleyes.gif

wink.png

Read my post. I did pay 400,000 thb per year for my kid at Prem. Then additional money for golf lessons, cricket, school plays, school this and that.

No it is not a good education at that price. I am talking from first hand experience now with a kid that is in High School in the USA. Thai education is pathetically behind the rest of the first world and that is a proven fact.

People don't fail in Thailand. Where do you come up with that? That is just a downright ignorant comment.

Some people have more important issues like getting their kids a valued education than bar stools and prostitutes. Is that failing in Thailand.

Some people get sick of living in the third world period, with the scams, VISA runs, lack of land ownership, racism, pollution, you name it. Is that failing in Thailand because I would think that is a sign of a person wising up and maturing.

You don't get to dictate failure in Thailand because every person has their own important decisions to make.

I don't live in Thailand any more. Do I consider myself a failure living in Florida USA right next to the beach with new everything and a super rated school for my son? I certainly can tell you I do not feel like a failure, I feel like a hero for my family.

They now have a life they would have never known had I been selfish and stayed in Thailand.

So not everyone that leaves Thailand is a failure.

Many people know what is best for themselves and their families and are not trapped with bars and prostitution.

You have allot of negativity in your posts for someone that claims Thailand to be their personal Mecca?

To each his own

Those who are fully funded for the rest of their lives, don't have many worries.

Bigoted, is generally a matter of opinion and cultural background, so hard to judge that one.

Generally Thais judge people by their skin colour and nationality and think that entirely right and normal, where most western people would consider that bigoted.

No. It's based on personality..and experiences, but you are right about the social economic background, if they stay within that confined.

They have plenty of worries, kids, wives, looking for a scam etc..just because you are fully funded doesn't really change how you are. Just read some of the issues on here..

I don't disagree about being disillusioned but the topic was about understanding.

Btw, in my experience and the foreigners who I worked with absolutely none were here to survive and I am talking about over decades. In Fact salaries were higher than in the uk.

You can't treat an old dog new tricks comes to mind when I see the retirees here. Fully funded maybe, fully formed in their ideas as well which really doesn't suit change.

The bigot issue was from a farang point of view, the Thai view is well established.

Bit off topic.

No. It's based on personality..and experiences, but you are right about the social economic background, if they stay within that confined.

They have plenty of worries, kids, wives, looking for a scam etc..just because you are fully funded doesn't really change how you are. Just read some of the issues on here..

I don't disagree about being disillusioned but the topic was about understanding.

Btw, in my experience and the foreigners who I worked with absolutely none were here to survive and I am talking about over decades. In Fact salaries were higher than in the uk.

You can't treat an old dog new tricks comes to mind when I see the retirees here. Fully funded maybe, fully formed in their ideas as well which really doesn't suit change.

The bigot issue was from a farang point of view, the Thai view is well established.

Bit off topic.

A+/- 30% net uplift on your last salary in the UK or US is not unusual for an expat with maketable skills, can be more if you can the company to cover your income tax bill as well or other other costs such as schooling paid for, transport, housing etc etc

When the international companies started their operations here, who was need to establish these operations and run them Foreigners. The locals simply didn't that experience , so of course they had to pay for that experience. If you have a specialised skill it's will be in demand, although as countries like Thailand develop that demand falls and locals acquire the requisite skills and are paid accordingly.

To some there are no hidden costs Infact just from an economic point of view it's all a plus with the general low cost of general living, having a maid etc..

Some don't understand the cross section of foreigners that live here..

Edited by huawei

When the international companies started their operations here, who do you think they needed to establish these operations and run them Foreigners. The locals simply didn't that experience , so of course they had to pay for that experience. My guess that salaries/packages were higher than they are today..

I guess relatively speaking they most likely were, but what you find is a MNC will have a standard percent uplift on basic package based on the percieved hardship based of a particular location so for example if 2 people doing the same job and one was sent to certain countries in Africa and the other to BKK, the one going to Africa will get the bigger up lift

Sort of back on topic with this,

An english couple, friends of mine, had 2 boys whilst working in Penang.

They did the best they could for 7 years; but are now back uk with the boys.

They were a little behind in most everything; but no harm done.

The parents feel they did the best thing for the continuing education of the boys; and ultimately for their long term work, job and career prospects.

sounds about right