My beloved ultra reliable Wave, now has a misfire..

AllanB

Yawn...

So it needed 2 kicks instead of one. Big deal. No problemo. Should of left it as was. Sometimes one kick, sometimes three. And?

I've been a m/c mechanic all my adult life. I keep all the family's Waves running.The best condition one is my wife's, as i do everything on that. All have in excess of 70k on them. None have had a new HT lead. Plugs, air filters about every 20k, chain and sprkts 10-20k, depending on the owner, valve clearances never even checked. Cam chains getting a bit rattly at 80k. Oil changes every 2k religously. Motors are bullet proof. Oh, none of them are FI, as i am a Luddite.

don't even turn your back on these so called mechanics

I have had nothing but fantastic experiences with Thai motorcycle mechanics.

They've almost always sussed out the issue and promptly, correctly fixed the problems.

When I first took it in for repair the guy looked at the old brake shoes and said "China shit" He put proper Honda replacement parts in.

Every time since then, at many different shops, I've had decent proper service.

I come from a family rich in mechanics who have always maintained their own vehicles although I'm not mechanical myself.

Sometimes I've made the call home for advice and every time my family supported the mechanics diagnosis.

I'm running a 27 year old Wave.

27 years ? Not bad for a bike that was introduced in 1995 smile.png

Yeah, I misread my book. LOL, it is a '95 20 years old.

Edited by duanebigsby

Turned out to be nothing more than a cheap crap spark plug, the original, after 6 years had seen better days and the new one was from the 20baht shop. Should have checked what he was putting in.

What was interesting was that the auto clutch played up too during the misfire, but all's well now.

If a bike starts first prod for 6 years, there is something a miss if it starts needing 2 or 3.

This cheap plug really was badly made, can't believe anyone would actually want to sell these.

Turned out to be nothing more than a cheap crap spark plug, the original, after 6 years had seen better days and the new one was from the 20baht shop. Should have checked what he was putting in.

What was interesting was that the auto clutch played up too during the misfire, but all's well now.

If a bike starts first prod for 6 years, there is something a miss if it starts needing 2 or 3.

This cheap plug really was badly made, can't believe anyone would actually want to sell these.

Can't believe you're calling a spark plug "cheap crap" after you ran it 6 years.

I'd call it amazing and always buy that brand!

I feel lazy if I don't change plugs at 6 months . I would max 1 year use for a plug..

Can't believe you're calling a spark plug "cheap crap" after you ran it 6 years.

I feel lazy if I don't change plugs at 6 months . I would max 1 year use for a plug..

Please read carefully, the original was a factory fitted Honda NGK and ran for 6 years, the new one was the cheap crap that was faulty from the start.

So if anyone is going to use a shop up the road, check what parts he uses and watch him......Do what I say, not what I do.

Edited by AllanB

Please read carefully, the original was a factory fitted Honda NGK and ran for 6 years, the new one was the cheap crap that was faulty from the start.

So if anyone is going to use a shop up the road, check what parts he uses and watch him......Do what I say, not what I do.

OK missed the nuance of your post. There are crap replacements out there. But even the original NGK should never have been run for 6 years. That's neglect.

OK missed the nuance of your post. There are crap replacements out there. But even the original NGK should never have been run for 6 years. That's neglect.

How is that neglect? The bike has run faultlessly in all that time, starts first time 99.9% of the time, sounds right, returns good mpg and is checked over regularly.

The bike has oil changes every year and in almost 6 years has done 23,000km, it never gets thrashed, or overloaded and still runs and looks like new.

As I said in my opener, the bike was requiring 2 kicks every now and then, so I had the plug changed, it still ran okay on the old plug, but thought she deserved a new plug for her birthday.

Like I said...

Like I said...

Well done that man, but I was surprised what a difference it made to the overall running of the bike, including the auto clutch which had all sorts of issues. They have all gone now and the bike rides like new.

I think fuel injection has made a big difference to these engines, they run smoother, tick-over especially, which means gear changing is better, engine breaking more predictable, etc. I guess if the carbs are set up properly, which, on my NV400 they are not, that would have same effect. Maybe the wear factor is the main problem with my bigger and very much older bike, so a lot more tinkering needed...Possibly new jets if I can find them.