Stinging Nettle in Thailand?

Kularion

Using the Thaivisa search function will get you some results. Despite claims from one poster, I dont think they can grow here.

So you think me and the other poster who showed a pic of them are talking nonsense? Well, up to you mister.

Using the Thaivisa search function will get you some results. Despite claims from one poster, I dont think they can grow here.

So you think me and the other poster who showed a pic of them are talking nonsense? Well, up to you mister.

Oh dear. I insulted you? I'm so sorry.

Well... I hope that I'm gonna be able to get them here as well :)

Well... I hope that I'm gonna be able to get them here as well smile.png

Mine popped up spontaneously and i culled them but why would you like to have them? Before you know it they're all over the place.

I've seen places in Thailand who were overgrown by them but i forgot where it was.

Well... I hope that I'm gonna be able to get them here as well smile.png

Mine popped up spontaneously and i culled them but why would you like to have them? Before you know it they're all over the place.

I've seen places in Thailand who were overgrown by them but i forgot where it was.

My chicken gonna eat it :) I will cut it will mix it with food :D

• 6 months later...

Please dont bring evasive plants such as nettles and dandelions in to Thailand.

Yes they have many fine properties, I have used them since 1960 but would never introduce them to another country.

They can be eaten, drunk, used for rheumatism etc - unfortunately it is better to buy refined products from so called health shops than let such alien species run rampant here ( climate allowing ).

Well... Mine grow but not very big :)

I used them all and now have to put some more to grow...

Speedo "it is better to buy refined products from so called health shops"... I feed my small chicks and youngsters with it and they are like 100+ now so that wouldn't work for me really :) Unless I become millionaire :D

"Thaian"

Thank you for your comment. I am glad you are cutting them back, hopefully before they seed.

You could always compost them, as long as no seeds, if you have need for compost.

Although I wouldn't advocate growing more you can cook as you would spinach, boil / drain add butter and balsamic vinegar, make tea from dried leaves and if anyone has rheumatism the young plant can be brushed across the affected area, the stick encourages the blood circulation. This later suggestion I learnt from the cold winter of 1961 in England where as a 15 / 16 year old I was outside working on a farm.

To "Kularion"

Thanks for your reply.

My mention of "buying from health shops" was meant as a better alternative to planting an evasive species in a new area.

Of course if you already have on your land it is better to control ( not allow to seed ) ( if you cut back you can often get a second crop ( regrow ).

I am sure you are aware of the nutritive value for livestock ( I started in farming in 1960 aged 15 so grew up with alternative uses of what was around me - the pigs lived outside in woodland all year round - enjoyed the acorns and windfalls from apple trees - and the mud of course ).

Nettles are good for humans too, nice if boiled and eaten with butter and balsamic vinegar.

If you intend feeding to chickens in a large way a "chaff cutter" is ideal for chopping.

Archived