Multi-day Trekking suggestions needed

thecubbages

Hello. My name is Ben Cubbage.

I am interested in putting together a multi-day trek.

We have a group of 8-12 people. We would like the trek to be sometime in May 2016.

Our group would like to do about 20 hours of sit down teaching inside the trek. So if we had 3-4 days of trekking (and each day had 4-5 hours of trekking) that would work well.

So a possible schedule that would work might look something like this:

Day 1-

Leave Chiangmai

Arrive at lodge

Afternoon do 2-4 hours of teaching

Sleep in a lodge/ home stay

Day2 -

trek 4-5 hours

During or after trek have 3-4 hours for teaching

Sleep in lodge/home stay/tent

Day 3-

trek 4-5 hours

Day 4-

trek 4-5 hours

Day 5-

Wrap up with 3-4 hours of teaching in morning

Leave at lunch or afternoon

Dinner- be back to Chiangmai

We would be happy to stay in the same place multiple nights as long as we had different places to trek/adventure during the day. We could also change lodging every night if we walked from hut to hut or village to village.

Is something like this possible?

Do you have any suggestions as far as route or starting point that could fulfill such a adventure?

It could be "do-it-yourself" camping or use a travel company.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ben

Hi Ben,

May is the hottest time of the year and rather uncomfortable for hiking. November to January much more pleasant.

It would also help if you could give an objective for the hiking/trekking - do you want to visit hilltribe villages, conquer the north's highest peaks, learn about local agriculture/deforestation, etc...

I've sent you a PM.

Edited spelling.

Edited by CMMCB

Seligne2- thanks for the great clarifying questions.

In reply:

1.) What is "trekking"? Is it the same as "hiking"?

Trekking could be hiking. In the past we have run this course as a muti-day backpacking activity in other parts of Asia.

So that is what I first imagine where we hike 6-15 km every day. But because I know there are so many good options for white water rafting, elephant riding, caving, etc. I wanted to be open to those as well. There could be some possibilities to combine the hiking with the other adventure elements.

For the purposes of this post I am looking for information on hiking first and other adventure activities second.

2.) What is "sit down teaching"?

We are doing about 20 hours of counseling to help expats look at some of their dreams, talents, and gifts and see how those can be better applied and accessed.

This requires some privacy and journal time. It can be done outdoors as long as the environment is conducive to reflection. The classroom does not have to be inside with chairs but there should be some space every day for a little teaching and some reflection on that teaching.

3.) Teaching what?

Look to the above answer of #2.

I'm sure it's possible to do this, but I've never seen more than an over night trek. I'm sure there are some 2 night ones, but the most popular ones are just an over night one.

Thailand is massively populated. The treks are OK, but nothing compared to some other countries here in Asia. IMHO.

Why Thailand? Maybe the more remote areas of Myanmar might be better? It'd be somewhat similar to Nepal. Which as you know, is pretty darn good.