Health Ministry launches campaign to reduce sugar consumption among Thais

Lite Beer

Good idea. And while they're at, why don't they get rid of the MSG and teach people how to cook without it again.

The scientific community is pretty unanimous that there is nothing wrong with msg. Just idiots jumping on an imaginary bandwagon led to it being demonised.

http://alllooksame.com/?p=696

http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/msg-myth-versus-science/

the problem is, sugar is in everything, every possible product

maybe force people like CP to stop using it, as thais love their 7/11 whatever pseudo food

for the MSG LOVER :

who paid the fake study to show MSG is safe ? the manufacturer ? scientists that get money from the producers of it ?

MSG only kills braincells by exciting the neurons till that ...

once you pop you can't stop, sounds familiar ... well, the tasty chips with MSG, tells your brain it is so delicious, that you have to get one, and another one and another ...

studies should be paid by governement and done independantly ...

the WHO wanted to tell the world, that sugar consumption was bad and it had to be lowered ....

good old USA sugar lobby, used their contacts to FORCE the WHO, to take it down, or they would not get the 300$ million in yearly sponsor money for the organisation ... so guess what they did ? they listed to the true masters, money

Edited by maidee

So the government has determined that Thais are getting their daily sugar from sugar satchets? How many drinks arrive at the table that are not already sweet?

You want to fix the diabetes, tell them it isn't smart to eat rice three times a day.

How come the government didn't put serious controls and limits on manufactured and frozen food packs, canned foods, etc.

One major manufacturer comes to find - perhaps they are untouchable.

Good idea. And while they're at, why don't they get rid of the MSG and teach people how to cook without it again.

The scientific community is pretty unanimous that there is nothing wrong with msg. Just idiots jumping on an imaginary bandwagon led to it being demonised.

http://alllooksame.com/?p=696

http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/msg-myth-versus-science/

Uh huh. And you don't feel that scum on the back of your teeth after you consume it? Or have an urgent need to use the toilet?

They might want to look at all the 3 in 1 type coffee sachets, plenty with high sugar content. Some of the ice coffee and cappuccino varieties are 50% sugar when you read the labels, but most people never do.

Have you ever been able to buy 2-1 coffee packets here?

These are small one-serve packs and 2-1 is 1 coffee, 1 milk.

3 - 1 is loaded with sugar and sold all over Thailand.

2 - 1 seems to be only available in Malaysia, and the same brand is available in Australia as well.

Yes, I know I can mix up my own, but these packs are handy when travelling, no need to carry a jar of coffee. I usually stock up at KUL airport.

If the government was serious (doubt it) they should heavily tax sugar laden foods like sodas and also heavily processed foods which are loaded with sugars. They could use the money to subsidize healthier choice foods for poorer people. Also clear and big WARNING LABELS on such foods.

Yes, its just hot air, as with all of these "health advisories", simply to many competing commercial interests.

And

As we know, around this place, to be seen to be doing a job is just as good as actually doing it.

Wonder if the sugar companies are investing in insulin production?

MSG only kills braincells by exciting the neurons till that ...

once you pop you can't stop, sounds familiar ... well, the tasty chips with MSG, tells your brain it is so delicious, that you have to get one, and another one and another ...

I was once offered some pringles, I ate a couple, they were quite tasty. I didn't proceed to ram the whole carton down my throat in some kind of uncontrolled eating binge, I just ate a few of them. Believe it or not this is considered normal behaviour.

There's an article in today's Daily Mail (so can't post the link) where they tested cans of Sprite cool drink from around the World. And yes, you've guessed it Thailand topped the poll with the highest amount of sugar. TWELVE teaspoons here in the Land of Smiles compared to 4 to 5 in the UK or France.

If the Government is really serious about cutting sugar consumption they must regulate the sugar content of these drink types or tax them out of existence.