Registering a car in my name that's registered in another Province

robsamui

Please please please - spell it out for me simply, step by step.

I've read through all sorts of wordy blogs on this, with thousands of words about we went there then we did this, and here's a photo the lady behind the counter then we had to wait so we had noodles (another photo) - I'm tearing my hair. All I need is a step by step check list of what to do.

SITUATION: I am on Samui. The car is on Samui. The Thai man with his name in the book is on Samui. But the car is registered in Bangkok.
AIM: to get the car registered in Surat Thai Province with my name as owner in the blue book.

INFO: I have a Non Im B visa and a work permit so I don't need proof of residence.

Please can somebody make me a nice simple list of what to do and look out for here?

(Tired grin.)

Many thanks in advance.

Take the paper, go to the Samui DLT. They will check if all is in order, then issue a new license plate and send the old one back. Pay the fee and collect the new plate the next day. Tech checkup may be necessary, at least they will verify the frame number. So you need to bring the vehicle.

It's not complicated, have done it in BKK and CNX.

Take the paper, go to the Samui DLT. They will check if all is in order, then issue a new license plate and send the old one back. Pay the fee and collect the new plate the next day. Tech checkup may be necessary, at least they will verify the frame number. So you need to bring the vehicle.

Take the paper, go to the Samui DLT

What paper?

What paper do I need, what paper does the seller need?

What kids of paperwork? Passport of copies? What pages? WP or copy?

If copy - all of it or just a bit?

What documents needed?

Any photos to take?

What else is needed?

What is the process?

Like I said, help me here please.

Edited by robsamui

You need the blue book, the sales contract and a letter of authorization. There are standard forms for this. Or bring the previous owner with you to sign what comes up.

You also need the insurance (at least the mandatory one, 645B), and the paid tax certificate. If the car is older than 7 years you need a technical checkup. They can do this at DLT.

For yourself passport and proof of address (WP is fine). All in signed copies. Good to have the original too, but they usually don't check this.

My car is registered in Chiang Mai with BKK address and yellow book there. So there are no hard rules as people can be registered anywhere, not necessarily at the place where they live.

Edited by MadMac

You need the blue book, the sales contract and a letter of authorization. There are standard forms for this. Or bring the previous owner with you to sign what comes up.

You also need the insurance (at least the mandatory one, 645B), and the paid tax certificate. If the car is older than 7 years you need a technical checkup. They can do this at DLT.

For yourself passport and proof of address (WP is fine). All in signed copies. Good to have the original too, but they usually don't check this.

My car is registered in Chiang Mai with BKK address and yellow book there. So there are no hard rules as people can be registered anywhere, not necessarily at the place where they live.

That sounds good - thanks

The owner is here on Samui, as I said.

So does he need only his ID card or the house documents, also? - you didn't say.

The car is taxed and insured already - thanks for outlining that.

So for me signed copies of WP and passport - what pages? All of them or just some of the pages? What pages?

Cheers.

I think ID or signed copy is enough. Get a signed copy of his/her tabien baan to just to be safe. That should do it. Not sure if I forgot something.

Your passport with the main page and the visa page, same for the WP. Signed.

I think ID or signed copy is enough. Get a signed copy of his/her tabien baan to just to be safe. That should do it. Not sure if I forgot something.

Your passport with the main page and the visa page, same for the WP. Signed.

Thanks!

Except for the bit that says . . ."copies of all the completed pages in the Work Permit, plus also the subsequent blank page".

And also the white entrance slip (stapled in the passport.)

Better safe than sorry; dont fancy another trip just for one photocopy.

Thanks for your help.

R

Just clarify one final thing please.

The car I want to buy, the owner and the blue book are all on Samui with me, but the car is registered in BKK.

If we go through the process of changing ownership - ie getting my name in the book, and do it on Samui - will the vehicle then also be registered on Samui (Surat Thani Province) and thus be issued with a new set of number plates?

Sorry if I sound dim, but this is Thailand and it's not a good idea to make assumptions.

Depends on you residence, if you have a yellow tabien baan or certificate from immi/embassy on Samui, it will be registered in Samui. I have a yellow book from Bangkok, my car is registered with Bangkok address but Chiang Mai plate. So it only matters for speeding tickets, which they send nowadays by mail smile.png

In your case, you likely have already Surathani plates, so they will remain on the car.

Edited by MadMac

I recently bought a motorbike in another province, this is what i did to change the name and number plate.

The bike, bike owner and i went to the (Khon Kaen) transport office. The bike was tested, and checked all was correct.

Paperwork needed:

Proof of address form chonburi immigration.

Copy of passport, visa and TM card. (photo, i think)

The bike book was then in my name.

To change to chonburi plate i had to get another proof of address from immigration, copies of passport etc.

Then go to chonburi transport office, where they check the documents, take your old plate and give you a new one, a new tax disc and you collect the updated bike book a few days later.

Your problem, i would think is, you need to bkk and get the sale registered there, then re-registered at Sumui.

Thanks to all - I need this information too.

What grace period do you have before you MUST register in your home province?

As always, different offices have different interpretations of the rules and regulations.

I purchased my car in a neighbouring province where it was owned and registered.

I went to my local office to get the book updated into my name but because it was too much 'hard work' they advised me to go to the office where it was registered and do it there.

I know they should do it but I could do without the hassle. Luckily, it was only 50km down the road so sorted within a couple of hours.

You do not have to register the car in your home province, in my case anyway.