PM in New York: Some reflected glory, some casual meets

webfact

The actual issue is not who wins or loses an argument. My issue with you is how you put forth your argument. It is fine when two people do not agree, However, I can feel your anger and your blood pressure rise when you answer. The problem is that you argument is lost in the way you present it. You may may have solid points but many people will not see these points because you insist on using inappropriate language to present them. You will never convince anyone this way. If you truly want to engage with people, change your rhetoric. If you don/'t care- then carry on and many of us will simply ignore you.

You labour under the impression that one man's opinion is as good as another's.It isn't.You dislike being robustly exposed but as an apologist for a repressive regime you bring it on yourself.I find your posts objectionable as much for their sanctimonious humbug as their sublime ignorance and their implicit contempt for Thais who have been fighting for their freedoms.

Needless to say your smokescreen conveniently prevents you from dealing with the substantive issues.

As to the opinion of other members I suggest we leave it them to decide.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not going out of my way to laud the current administration, I don't know the background of the PM and I am not sure I care at this point. What I am saying is let's give him a chance and calm the rhetoric. He will either succeed or fail. For the Thai Nation, I hope he succeeds.

I'm surprised you don't know the PM/General's background. It's highly relevant to the current situation. Try reading up on Thailand's Eastern Tigers. The current PM is part of a group, and a long term effort to take control.

Thaidream you're having an absolute nightmare here mate. You should of stayed good on your word and just stopped posting.

"I don't care about the PM's background (look into it, it's dodgy), who he serves (hint hint, the traditonal Thai elite, you know, the ones that were the piggies in the trough before Thaksin came along) and what he has achieved (he has gone for a few low lying branches which have since grown back)." He did mess up big time to create the conditions in which one of the worst terrorist attacks in Bangkok's history was carried out, so yeah he's got that.

Many people on this board continue to criticize the current Prime Minister and call him names but no one has given us the name of who they would have as his replacement. Please do not name anyone that is associated with the Shin clan as it is a known fact that they are controlled by a convicted criminal who is afraid to return to his own country. I cannot remember anyone on this forum putting forth any program that brings reconciliation to Thailand or any program that improves the economy or assists reform in education or helps the poor. You all seem to think you are smarter than the Prime Minister, yet all you do is complain and denigrate those who voice their approval of what he is trying to do. You all have no program- he does. I am willing to wait to see if he succeeds. Then there is plenty of time for recrimination. If you can't wait- the airport is open 24/7.

He receives criticism because he has no right to be the PM in the first place.

If the Thai people would actually have a say in who they think should govern them, the chance that Thaksin's party (the "convicted" criminal). would win is pretty big, as all general elections since 2001 have quite clearly shown.

Funny how people refer to Thaksin as a "convicted" criminal, and then in the same post support a man who has quite clearly broken the law, and abolished it, replaced with his own.

Made an end to the ability of the Thai people to actually decide who they deem fit to run their country, has put a stop to freedom of opinion and press and has no problems sending people who oppose him in for "attitude adjustment"

He might have a program, but no right whatsoever to actually execute it, and let us hope he will not be able to fully execute it, for the good of Thailand and it's economy.

What a terrible article : snippets of facts interwoven with the authors 'opinion' and condescending interpretations.

They got their bottom spanked for misbehaving and lost some 'face' and now they are sulking like spiteful schoolboys.

I've seen this many times from Thai men in various aspects of society - it's like they got stuck at 12 years old. There's no wonder this country makes such a mess of everything.

Andrew McGreggor Marshall is probably the only author out there that has not avoided the elephant in the room. No way you can understand the current situation the way the news looks at it these days.

Many people on this board continue to criticize the current Prime Minister and call him names but no one has given us the name of who they would have as his replacement. Please do not name anyone that is associated with the Shin clan as it is a known fact that they are controlled by a convicted criminal who is afraid to return to his own country. I cannot remember anyone on this forum putting forth any program that brings reconciliation to Thailand or any program that improves the economy or assists reform in education or helps the poor. You all seem to think you are smarter than the Prime Minister, yet all you do is complain and denigrate those who voice their approval of what he is trying to do. You all have no program- he does. I am willing to wait to see if he succeeds. Then there is plenty of time for recrimination. If you can't wait- the airport is open 24/7.

If the Thai people would actually have a say in who they think should govern them, the chance that Thaksin's party (the "convicted" criminal). would win is pretty big, as all general elections since 2001 have quite clearly shown.

Funny how people refer to Thaksin as a "convicted" criminal, and then in the same post support a man who has quite clearly broken the law, and abolished it, replaced with his own.

Made an end to the ability of the Thai people to actually decide who they deem fit to run their country, has put a stop to freedom of opinion and press and has no problems sending people who oppose him in for "attitude adjustment"

He might have a program, but no right whatsoever to actually execute it, and let us hope he will not be able to fully execute it, for the good of Thailand and it's economy.

You're a bit naive, my dear sjakie. The PM is in New York recognised as Prime Minister of the Thai government.

You're a bit naive, my dear sjakie. The PM is in New York recognised as Prime Minister of the Thai government.

Haha, of course Rubl. It's called diplomacy. He probably was accompanied by various other dictators that are equally recognized as the PM of their respective governments. Doesn't change the fact that he violated the Thai constitution, and as such he is the PM by his own doing only.

Haha, of course Rubl. It's called diplomacy. He probably was accompanied by various other dictators that are equally recognized as the PM of their respective governments. Doesn't change the fact that he violated the Thai constitution, and as such he is the PM by his own doing only.

Ah, so diplomatically PM Prayut is legally recognised as Prime Minister of Thailand? He is legally recognised and accepted as such within the USA? All those countries still doing business with Thailand and calling in on Prime Minister Prayut are only implicitly recognising his legality?

Anyway, PM Prayut in New York, probably wondering why people like the place as it can be jampacked as Bangkok.

I am not going out of my way to laud the current administration, I don't know the background of the PM and I am not sure I care at this point. What I am saying is let's give him a chance and calm the rhetoric. He will either succeed or fail. For the Thai Nation, I hope he succeeds.

Might be a good idea to do some groundwork about the chess game here then.

27 coup attempts in the past 100 years 19 successful. Thats should tell you all you need to know about being sucked into, its going to be different this time. Absolute rubbish every single time.

You hope he succeeds in what exactly ? trashing whats left of the economy or locking the place down into a chinese intranet one gateway ?

Ive watched a few coups come and go, to date this is by far the most incompetent and crazy bunch ive seen.

Hes already utterly failed, the problem is admitting it and bowing out. For the nation the best thing is for him to get back to elections before its too late.

Ah, so diplomatically PM Prayut is legally recognised as Prime Minister of Thailand? He is legally recognised and accepted as such within the USA? All those countries still doing business with Thailand and calling in on Prime Minister Prayut are only implicitly recognising his legality?

Anyway, PM Prayut in New York, probably wondering why people like the place as it can be jampacked as Bangkok.

Legally recognized ? There is nothing legal in abolishing the constitution and replacing it with your own. It's called a coup and even in the US that raises quite a few eyebrows as was made apparent directly after the fact. Calls to restore democracy immediately and other remarks to that effect.

And yes of course they still do business with Thailand, just as they do business with other undemocratic dictatorships as they see fit. Having said that, it does seem business isn't what it used to be, but alas that's normal with military regimes the world over.

Many people on this board really don't like the Thai PM. However, no one has actually provided any solution for reconciliation or a road map back to 'Democracy. Well, I will leave it at that. Our Thai friends will be the ones who decide.

And to my good friend on the board - it appears you have started to post without calling me a moron or an idiot. You are starting to progress up the ladder heading in the right direction. That's a good lad- a pat on the head to you

Edited by Thaidream

Legally recognized ? There is nothing legal in abolishing the constitution and replacing it with your own. It's called a coup and even in the US that raises quite a few eyebrows as was made apparent directly after the fact. Calls to restore democracy immediately and other remarks to that effect.

And yes of course they still do business with Thailand, just as they do business with other undemocratic dictatorships as they see fit. Having said that, it does seem business isn't what it used to be, but alas that's normal with military regimes the world over.

Oh, but it is legal to stand aside the constitution when Martial Law has been declared.

Anyway, discussions about legalily of the current Thai government just distract from the worldwide acceptance and the way worldwide countries still do business with Thailand, it's government and it's people.

Of course you may continue telling all 'illegal', but that's almost as if you condemn all countries which still do business with Thailand. I mean, even the Netherlands still does business with Thailand, doesn't it? May be should start a "boycot the Thai government" action back home? Maybe a protest about the hypocritical world? Start with the easily corrected wrongs like Thailand before tackling more difficult problems like ISIS?

In the mean time "

Many people on this board really don't like the Thai PM.

Are we in the 3rd grade? It's not about liking, or disliking, Field Marshall Prayut. In this thread it's more about evaluating his performance, and what he said, during his trip to the U.N.

He claims his trip was a complete success, and that all countries "understand" why he continues to maintain a Military Junta, and that he is progressing on the "road to Democracy". He also met the "leader" of Fiji.

While most objective observers might grade his performance as "passable", noting that in Thailand no one ever gets a failing grade, that may not be saying a whole lot.

Reading President Obama's speech it does seem like he was deliberately sending a critical message to Field Marshall Prayut. I'm not sure any of his minions felt comfortable explaining Obama's comments, so he probably remains clueless.

Edited by bamnutsak

And why does the heading read burning issue ?? I suggest the reporter start looking for alternative employment !!!!!

The PM Prayuth Chan o cha did as he was expected to do.

Attend the UN General assembly, speak briefly at the Assembly, mingle with President Obama and President Xi Jinping as he did both at the UN and at a couple of reception parties.

I am sure the world powers and the UN General Assembly would certainly rather it be him attending than any previous controversial PM.

What did some on here expect him to do .... ?? cartwheels in the foyer !! whistling.gif

Khun Prayuth Chan o cha . wai2.gif

And why does the heading read burning issue ?? I suggest the reporter start looking for alternative employment !!!!!

The PM Prayuth Chan o cha did as he was expected to do.

Attend the UN General assembly, speak briefly at the Assembly, mingle with President Obama and President Xi Jinping as he did both at the UN and at a couple of reception parties.

So your idea of mingling is being in the same room as one and nodding at the other on the way to the bog?

You can use any words you want in this regard other than the words "actually met", but if that counts as a success to you, fair play...

Many people on this board really don't like the Thai PM.

Are we in the 3rd grade? It's not about liking, or disliking, Field Marshall Prayut. In this thread it's more about evaluating his performance, and what he said, during his trip to the U.N.

He claims his trip was a complete success, and that all countries "understand" why he continues to maintain a Military Junta, and that he is progressing on the "road to Democracy". He also met the "leader" of Fiji.

While most objective observers might grade his performance as "passable", noting that in Thailand no one ever gets a failing grade, that may not be saying a whole lot.

Reading President Obama's speech it does seem like he was deliberately sending a critical message to Field Marshall Prayut. I'm not sure any of his minions felt comfortable explaining Obama's comments, so he probably remains clueless.

"Field Marshall" ? I'm sure that if Pres. Obama said something to or about Prime Minister Prayut, he would have used the title PM rather than give PM Prayut a promotion to a rank he never had (and which might not even exist in Thailand).

Oh, by the way, which comments are you referring to with "A critical message". I haven't read all Pres. Obama had to say (about Putin, Castro, etc.) but I may have missed the critical part.

I didn't see the General speak. But, I did watch the Obama one and he was scathing about military governments that deny democracy to their people. Wonder if the General was listening?.

Scathing ? That's funny, in a hypocritical kind of way, considering the past history of the country that Obama represents when it comes to supporting military/authoritarian regimes and dictators -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_authoritarian_regimes_supported_by_the_United_States#Asia

And yes, even the current Thai government is listed, from 2014-the present, just between Vietnam and Syria.