Prayut, Thaksin and the UN (which is nobody's daddy)

webfact

STOPPAGE TIME
Prayut, Thaksin and the UN (which is nobody's daddy)
Tulsathit Taptim
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- It's debatable as to which of the two has more respect for the United Nations. The following dialogue between Prayut Chan-o-cha and Thaksin Shinawatra, which I obviously thought up, is not intended to shed light on that. The United Nations, however, has become a common focus for both. Whether the two men have ever talked - or will ever talk to each other - about the world body, we will never know. All I can say is that what you are about to read is based on a true story.

Thaksin: How was your UN trip?

Prayut: Not what I feared, but nothing to boast about on Facebook either. It all comes with the territory.

Thaksin: For once, I'm glad it wasn't me. The thing about the UN is that they put all Third World leaders under a microscope and write off all the nasty things that the superpowers do as a "necessity". That's why I said that the UN is not my father.

Prayut: Imagine I said that. The remark would be put on a banner, attached to a hired plane and flown over UN headquarters.

Thaksin: Only a democratically elected leader can say something like that. Live with it.

Prayut: You mean only democratically elected leaders can subject drug suspects to extra-judicial killings and alleged Islamic militants to fatal crackdowns and still tell the United Nations to get lost?

Thaksin: You sound bitter. But, as you said yourself, it comes with the territory. You staged a coup and you must have known what was coming. Dictators are dictators, no matter how they dress themselves up. And the UN is very good at undressing people like you.

Prayut: Are you an advocate for the UN now? Thais never beg them for food. You said so yourself.

Thaksin: Repeat after me: "Only democratically elected leaders can say their countries never beg the UN for food."

Prayut: I guess begging for food is the least of the problems. The whole point is that only democratically elected leaders can cheat and be confident that all they'll get in return is a slap on the wrist.

Thaksin: If you want nothing more than a wrist slap, run in an election - don't force a government out at gunpoint.

Prayut: I don't want to be a teacher's pet.

Thaksin: You don't get it. A teacher's pet doesn't scold the teacher. I scolded the teacher. Being a democratically elected leader gives you that.

Prayut: You mean a licence to steal and kill?

Thaksin: That's an insult to my voters.

Prayut: You don't get it. I'm insulting you and only you. You'd better stop hiding behind your voters. When they arrested, say, Estrada and Arroyo, nobody said anything about the people who elected them.

Thaksin: They were sent to court under a democratic system. That's why their voters were okay about it.

Prayut: Do you seriously think corrupt prime ministers can be criminalised under a democratic system in Thailand?

Thaksin: How can I answer that? You guys always beat everyone to it.

Prayut: Well, if you have a problem with that, go tell the UN. Oh, I forgot, you've already done that. How did the "Not my father" react?

Thaksin: Stop poking fun at ancient history.

Prayut: How about telling your supporters to "play dead"? Is that current enough?

Thaksin: What's wrong with that? Anyone who refuses to play dead has been put through your attitude adjustment programme. I guess playing dead is the most sensible behaviour in the current circumstances.

Prayut: It shows you want to strike back. Your advice demonstrates a revenge motive. Thailand will never have real peace as long as you have that attitude.

Thaksin: Please cut your nonsense about peace and reform. We both know this is just a power game. Right now you have the upper hand, so I'm playing dead. That sums it up.

Prayut: You are dragging democracy through the mud. The longer you do that, the harder it will be for Thais to achieve real democracy.

Thaksin: Are you blaming me for the absence of democracy in Thailand? I'm not the one who cancelled a constitution and keeps delaying a general election.

Prayut: All I'm saying is that you are a bad presenter of democracy. For the system to stand any chance, you must stop making it stink.

Thaksin: America and Britain, to name just two, don't seem to think so. It's you who stink.

Prayut: At least I was brave enough to show up at the UN. How about you coming to Thailand, where you are so "popular"?

Thaksin: I was days away from returning, but a group ganged up against my sister's amnesty bill. You should remember that, because you have them to thank for your coup. Plus, I can't move around as easily as before - some idiot just revoked my passport.

Prayut: Oh, is that so? The passport issue popped up at the UN, by the way. A protester wanted your travel rights restored. He unwittingly helped me, though. The passport fuss distracted everyone from bigger issues. What a fool. Didn't you tell him to play dead? If he disobeyed, you should have that loose cannon killed.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Prayut-Thaksin-and-the-UN-(which-is-nobodys-daddy)-30269800.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-30

coffee1.gif hum interesting...

by the way if anyone, and i really mean anyone, is interested to become PM... well its the right time to stage a c... whistling.gif

uncle Too is busy to try ending poverty around the world.laugh.png

You can't deny he got a lot of attention during his speech at the UN.

conference.jpg5117664.jpg?553

Edited by TheCruncher

by the way if anyone, and i really mean anyone, is interested to become PM... well its the right time to stage a c... whistling.gif

Wouldn't surprise me as lots of delegates seem to need to sleep during the day to be fresh at the cocktail parties in the evening when real politics is played.

BTW as such photos can be made during most sessions you should have provided a link to show these photos are actually made while PM Prayut was talking.

Do people really get (or vote for) the leaders they deserve?

Thailand's got one that you deserve.

The next step is blaming me, a foreigner, for the current government ?

No but you are their biggest fan.

So, since you allege I'm the current government's biggest fan, you state that Thailand got what I deserve?

You probably mean that I got what I wanted, allegedly that is. That's not the same as having 'deserved it'. Of course none of that has anything to do with the Thai themselves.

Gen Prayut said. "Thailand achieved universal health coverage in 2002, resulting in inequalities in access to healthcare services between people living in large cities and those in rural areas decreasing significantly," he said.

One indicator that health was improving was the neonatal mortality rate, he said. The rate had dropped significantly from 72 per 1,000 births in 1970 to only 11 per 1,000 births in 2014, he said.

The universal healthcare scheme was introduced by the Thaksin Shinawatra administration in 2002.

Gen Prayut in July branded the universal healthcare scheme, which benefits about 47 million people, a "costly populist" policy.

The scheme will "bankrupt a lot of hospitals in the next few years", he said. He questioned if Thailand was ready for the policy even though it benefits many people.

Looks like the "anti-populist" good General as conceded that, occasionally (at least outside of Thailand), he has to be "populist".

Nice he has done a U-TURN on the Thaksin universal healthcare scheme.. hey wait! it's all Thaksin's fault right? cheesy.gif

conference.jpg5117664.jpg?553

You guys amaze me.

You have no "Facts" to denounce Prayut so it is straight to the "Belief" structure.

The above is climate change summit delegates during a US-backed agreement on climate change. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1236659/Copenhagen-climate-change-conference-World-leaders-reach-Copenhagen-agreement--officials-admit-enough.html

At least use "Facts" (The PTP's greatest enemy) to try to get your point across.

You will start to sound like Just1voice mincing "FACTS" with "BELIEFS" like the bulldozer lie here.

Do people really get (or vote for) the leaders they deserve?

Thailand's got one that you deserve.

The next step is blaming me, a foreigner, for the current government ?

No but you are their biggest fan.

Another lie! I am the biggest fan of peace and stability.

Gen Prayut said. "Thailand achieved universal health coverage in 2002, resulting in inequalities in access to healthcare services between people living in large cities and those in rural areas decreasing significantly," he said.

One indicator that health was improving was the neonatal mortality rate, he said. The rate had dropped significantly from 72 per 1,000 births in 1970 to only 11 per 1,000 births in 2014, he said.

The universal healthcare scheme was introduced by the Thaksin Shinawatra administration in 2002.

Gen Prayut in July branded the universal healthcare scheme, which benefits about 47 million people, a "costly populist" policy.

The scheme will "bankrupt a lot of hospitals in the next few years", he said. He questioned if Thailand was ready for the policy even though it benefits many people.

Looks like the "anti-populist" good General as conceded that, occasionally (at least outside of Thailand), he has to be "populist".

Nice he has done a U-TURN on the Thaksin universal healthcare scheme.. hey wait! it's all Thaksin's fault right? cheesy.gif

No one is turning away from Universal Healthcare (in Thailand branded as "30-Baht scheme"), but some warn that such scheme is costly and needs to be properly financed to work properly.

The Chuan government prepared the scheme, the Thaksin government made it law, but failed to properly finance it. The Surayut government dropped the 30-Baht as costing double to administer and made other small adjustments, but still not enough funding, Samak/Somchai were busy with more important issues (allegedly), Abhisit didn't do much apart from having fun with protesters and Yingluck immediately reinstated the 30-Baht as that reminded people of her brother (he also took their money). After lots of debate the Yingluck government made the 30-Baht 'optional' (as in you may pay it if you want). Funding still insufficient.

The current government seems the first to address financing, but with the financial drain caused by the previous government has limited choices. All in all we see hospitals participating in the scheme underfunded and private hospitals treating people who want to use the facilities based on 30-Baht Healthcare treated like lepers.

If you never had Healthcare now having it is better than nothing, but Thai who can afford it (and some who cannot) rather pay and get prompt service.

No one is turning away from Universal Healthcare (in Thailand branded as "30-Baht scheme"), but some warn that such scheme is costly and needs to be properly financed to work properly.

The Chuan government prepared the scheme, the Thaksin government made it law, but failed to properly finance it. The Surayut government dropped the 30-Baht as costing double to administer and made other small adjustments, but still not enough funding, Samak/Somchai were busy with more important issues (allegedly), Abhisit didn't do much apart from having fun with protesters and Yingluck immediately reinstated the 30-Baht as that reminded people of her brother (he also took their money). After lots of debate the Yingluck government made the 30-Baht 'optional' (as in you may pay it if you want). Funding still insufficient.

The current government seems the first to address financing, but with the financial drain caused by the previous government has limited choices. All in all we see hospitals participating in the scheme underfunded and private hospitals treating people who want to use the facilities based on 30-Baht Healthcare treated like lepers.

If you never had Healthcare now having it is better than nothing, but Thai who can afford it (and some who cannot) rather pay and get prompt service.

you did read it? your hero used Thaksin's Policy, in his speech to the UN, which he denounced in Thailand earlier as SUDDENLY a great success!

Edited by LannaGuy

you did read it? your hero used Thaksin's Policy, in his speech to the UN, which he denounced in Thailand earlier as SUDDENLY a great success!

Did you read that the Universal Healthcare scheme needs financing? No need to go into rhetoric like the GOP does about 'Obamacare'. It's about affordable healthcare for all people. Without proper financing while forcing public hospitals to participate those hospitals would go bankrupt if not for continued (minimal) state support while seeing a departure of qualified staff to private hospitals.

PS I changed the font size of your post from 'nearly shouting' size back to normal