What Happened To Quaker Oats?

OMGImInPattaya

I am not sure. Try the German oat instead , cheaper and no added sugar or anything else in it. 3 minutes in the micro and add cinnamon or whatever you want. They sell them at Big C or Friendship.

Rolled oat are rolled oats, no matter what the brand... and then you can choose between instant, quick cooking or standard, indicating how finely they are chopped up or not. Hahn are the best value available here and come in small and big "leaf" (I'm not sure of the exact English translation).

Red Mill steel cut oats are what I stock up on whenever they come available... only found at Tops Central or Villa.... and only occasionally.smile.png

Grape Nuts...(not the Grape Nut Flakes) are usualy in stock at Friendship.

A good and crunchy cereal...but kinda expensive!

Glad I stocked up! clap2.gif

Another thing that seems to have totally disappeared is Post cereal's GRAPE NUTS.

Nope. They haven't had them for many months now. No place in town has them. I didn't see them in Bangkok either. Some years ago that happened but after a long absence they came back. I think they don't sell well enough and understandably considering the ridiculous price here.

Edited by Jingthing

I found them at Lotus in Loei last month. Only 745 kilometers from Pattaya.

Cost 181 baht for the large can.

Cant be sure but

104 Baht in makro for a can, never seen large or small can ?

sound like expensive to me , ?

Large cans are 800g

Small cans are 400g

Big C prices here http://www.bigc.co.th/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=quaker+oats

About the same price as in the UK and far superior to the other brands mentioned here (can only be beaten by Scott's Porage Oats).

Cant be sure but

Large cans are 800g

Small cans are 400g

Big C prices here http://www.bigc.co.th/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=quaker+oats

About the same price as in the UK and far superior to the other brands mentioned here (can only be beaten by Scott's Porage Oats).

Are you stating that as opinion or fact? Stating that one company (oats) produces a superior product to another is like saying one brand of 100% Thai Jasmine white rice is superior to another.

Why would I pay more than double for Quaker oats vs Hahn oats because they come in a fancy can?

There's another problem to consider when purchasing Quaker oats. The only cans I know are the blue label quick cooking oats and the red label instant oats. I'm sure I'm not the only oat lover who prefers the whole oat which takes a bit longer to cook but doesn't resemble mush when prepared. Other brands available here provide the whole, uncut rolled oats... and there's only one consideration - price. Apart from that, a rolled oat is a rolled oat.

For all the instant oat lovers I would suggest you give the longer cooking variety a try. I still have a can of Quaker instant oats on the shelf collecting dust, because at first my wife only wanted them, until she started preferring the longer cooking, whole variety that I eat... and then really started enjoying the steel cut variety that takes about 20 minutes to cook (on low heat). You'll probably notice that whole oats don't sit as heavy in the stomach as the mushy instant variety do.

Edited by tropo

Cant be sure but

Large cans are 800g

Small cans are 400g

Ok I see.

I have only ever seen the 800g cans. wai2.gif

Cant be sure but

Large cans are 800g

Small cans are 400g

Are you stating that as opinion or fact? Stating that one company (oats) produces a superior product to another is like saying one brand of 100% Thai Jasmine white rice is superior to another.

Why would I pay more than double for Quaker oats vs Hahn oats because they come in a fancy can?

There's another problem to consider when purchasing Quaker oats. The only cans I know are the blue label quick cooking oats and the red label instant oats. I'm sure I'm not the only oat lover who prefers the whole oat which takes a bit longer to cook but doesn't resemble mush when prepared. Other brands available here provide the whole, uncut rolled oats... and there's only one consideration - price. Apart from that, a rolled oat is a rolled oat.

For all the instant oat lovers I would suggest you give the longer cooking variety a try. I still have a can of Quaker instant oats on the shelf collecting dust, because at first my wife only wanted them, until she started preferring the longer cooking, whole variety that I eat... and then really started enjoying the steel cut variety that takes about 20 minutes to cook (on low heat). You'll probably notice that whole oats don't sit as heavy in the stomach as the mushy instant variety do.

My remark was just meant to be lighthearted. Of course, when it comes to matters of taste there can only be opinions - never facts.

My real preference is for original Scott's porage oats, with salt and not sugar (cold milk poured over the top and eaten from the outer edge first, then working inwards as it cools down) - but I can also go for Reddy Brek with a spoonful of strawberry jam.

YMMV.

Edited by chickenslegs

My remark was just meant to be lighthearted. Of course, when it comes to matters of taste there can only be opinions - never facts.

I was referring more to quality than taste. Companies are always talking up products in order to improve sales... such as a certain products winning awards, organic and so on... Quaker are heavy on the "quality is better" rhetoric. They do package them beautifully.smile.png