Obtaining British Passport for Thai/British son

Idler

Do I need to submit my Thai girlfriend's birth certificate when obtaining a British passport for my newly born son? If so, would having a different surname on her birth certificate to her current Thai ID, Thai passport, and Tabien Baan be a problem? (Her current surname is on our son's birth certificate.)

Any help much appreciated.

Can a U.K. passport be obtained for a child born outside of a legalised marriage? I think not!

Will be most interested in the opinions of the more knowledgeable members of the forum.

It's not been a requirement to be married in order to get a UK passport for the child of UK/foreign relationship for some time now. Edited by brewsterbudgen

• 2 weeks later...

Can a U.K. passport be obtained for a child born outside of a legalised marriage? I think not!

Will be most interested in the opinions of the more knowledgeable members of the forum.

What is the point of you posting your doubts about something you don't really know about?

Why would you even be "most interested" to hear the opinions of more knowledgeable members? You know nothing and so it has nothing to do with you.

• 3 weeks later...

Why doesn`t the OP make a quick 35 baht, 5 minute phone call to the UK passport office or whatever department deals with these types of enquiries and get the information straight from the source?

Is this possible? 35 baht for 5 minutes? Please post the number. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK. My very first post, but having been through various Thai traumas and, despite that, getting notification today that I can collect my daughter's passport tomorrow (Thai mum, not married, family objections which I considered at birth) I only submitted paper at my appointment on 16th December. I got the please come and collect her British passport today (29th). Considering it is Christmas nothing short of astounding, so all the fears can be overcome by due diligence and a bit of knowledge. I used no lawyers, agents or middlemen. Everything is logical but needs a degree of pre planning. Especially at the time of birth.

a) Have the name of the child in your last name on the birth certificate,

B) Give the nationality as Thai at birth (as a British father she had automatic rights - if registered British these rights reflect on the rights they should have in Thailand).

c) You should get the mother to sign the passport application to prevent custody restrictions.

d) Get proof of address, you don't need the family house book, a bank statement from the mother or, in my case, a credit card bill was fine.

e) You do need the birth certificate, ID, child birth certificate etc translated into English by certified translators.

f) Copies of everything in colour including all passports, every page.

However, follow these rules, it can be done remarkably quickly.

I was lucky and had the mother's co-operation. Her family were terrible refusing to give her her own birth certificate and other documents. We did it though.

Very happy everything came through despite months of fighting family.

As long as you are British, have your own documents in order (you will need your birth certificate), and have your partners documents in order you will be fine. Marriage doesn't enter into as you are applying for British by descent.