Bangkok governor proposes car sale restriction

Jonathan Fairfield

Bangkok governor proposes car sale restriction

BANGKOK:— Car buyers may have to produce evidence that they have parking space if a proposal recommended by Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra to tackle the capital's traffic woes goes ahead.

Sukhumbhand Wednesday told a brainstorming session that one of the solutions to the traffic problems was to prevent people from buying cars if they did not have any parking space.

"We may also have to collect tolls from vehicles heading into Bangkok's central business districts," he added.

He said these measures were designed to discourage the use of private cars among commuters.

"We have to encourage the use of public transport. In doing so, we have to do much more than developing efficient publictransport systems. We will have change commuters' behaviours and lifestyle too," he pointed out.

At present, commuters have made 17 million trips a day in Bangkok. The number of cars in the capital is at about eight millions.

It is estimated that the number of trips will reach 22 millions and the number of cars will soar to 10 million by 2029.

Sukhumbhand did not say whether or when he would proposed the measures to the government for approval.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-30

"Car buyers may have to produce evidence that they have parking space"

And here starts the grab for parking lots in the common areas of condo projects...

Or probably just another income source for those who approve the application for a purchase. Money under the table can buy anything in this country.

Finally! It's insane that they all need a Fortuner to drive to office or to the mall. Real Somchai's all need a pickuptruck, the larger the better and they even can't make a U-turn without blocking 2 lanes. Parking that thing in the mall needs assitance and takes ages.

In Europe mini-cars are in fashion, also they use far much fuel (read cleaner air) and 2 fit on 1 parkinglot.

Finally! It's insane that they all need a Fortuner to drive to office or to the mall. Real Somchai's all need a pickuptruck, the larger the better and they even can't make a U-turn without blocking 2 lanes. Parking that thing in the mall needs assitance and takes ages.

In Europe mini-cars are in fashion, also they use far much fuel (read cleaner air) and 2 fit on 1 parkinglot.

The Fiat 500 series , just relaunched, is great. Never seen one in Thailand where Mini seems to have captured that sensible end of the market..particularly for getting around the city.

How about the BMA actually building some multi story carparks next to or within walking distance of the current Skytrain and MRT links. And insisting that any future outlying stations have adequate parking.

Or parkinglots in an angle so you can just drive in and out in reverse.

But new malls should have parkinglot-floors only for mini-cars and motorbikes.

I had several arguments with the security when i park my motobike in front of a mall on the pavement (where nobody walks). Do they want me to come back with the car? Not all motobike drivers are poor but that's the general opinion in Thailand. It's all about showing your wealth hence all those big cars.

For company's it works well to get them at work in time, who comes too late has no parkinglot.

Teaching Thai how to drive a car would also help, it's big fun to see them park. They should film that and show it on tv in Europe, boy would they laugh.tongue.png

How about the BMA actually building some multi story carparks next to or within walking distance of the current Skytrain and MRT links. And insisting that any future outlying stations have adequate parking.

I don't think that the parking is the only problem - there are too many cars on the road, cars that seem to be as big as trucks, the traffic is insane. I would never drive a car in this city, I'll get through the traffic on my motorbike, as dangerous as it is.

Edited by SkyRider

I don't think that the parking is the only problem - there are too many cars on the road, cars that seem to be as big as trucks, the traffic is insane. I would never ride a car in this city, I'll get through the traffic on my motorbike, as dangerous as it is.

That's the point. For out of town drivers. If / when they can link to the skytrain/ MRT then more would actually leave their cars outside Bkk. I know I would!

Sukhumbhand Wednesday told a braindead session that one of the solutions to the traffic problems was to prevent people from buying cars if they did not have any parking space.

Because the brain dead people buying cars don't actually realise this extremely valid fact. It's in place already in Japan, Canada and some cities in the US. Validated proof of parking in a city with Bkks parking problems isn't unreasonable!

Sukhumbhand Wednesday told a braindead session that one of the solutions to the traffic problems was to prevent people from buying cars if they did not have any parking space.

Because the brain dead people buying cars don't actually realise this extremely valid fact. It's in place already in Japan, Canada and some cities in the US. Validated proof of parking in a city with Bkks parking problems isn't unreasonable!

I'm from Canada and I can tell you there is no such policy in Canada that doesn't allow you to purchase a car if you don't have a parking spot designated to you. In Toronto for example you have to apply for a parking permit in order to park your car during the allocated permit hours but they certainly don't stop a resident from purchasing a vehicle. And the same with the US.

I'm from Canada and I can tell you there is no such policy in Canada that doesn't allow you to purchase a car if you don't have a parking spot designated to you. In Toronto for example you have to apply for a parking permit in order to park your car during the allocated permit hours but they certainly don't stop a resident from purchasing a vehicle. And the same with the US.
and what happens if there are no allocated parking areas free?

I have the best thai idea ever, Lets take all the cars and put them in one sales lot. You know, to control all the sales of all cars in thailand. That way we can check and discard any misused cars away. I should be a politician for coming up with this idea.

Thailand reminds me of the movie IDIOCRACY. SOme of the dumbest ideas come out in public and its so entertaining.

But their are plenty of parking spaces available. It's nothing more than a money grab for the cities. That's the difference between a 1st world and a 3rd world country. The 1st world country has the infrastructure to support it's citizens. Edited by ldiablo

But their are plenty of parking spaces available. It's nothing more than a money grab for the cities.

Exactly. But in Bangkok can you honestly say the same about plenty of parking?

I'm not saying it's a great idea. But I think it has a certain merit which requires further thought.

But their are plenty of parking spaces available. It's nothing more than a money grab for the cities.

I'm not saying it's a great idea. But I think it has a certain merit which requires further thought.

It seems you are confused about parking permits. permits just allow you to park in certain areas. Its public parking with a permit, during designated times of the day. Which is something else BKK could look at. for business areas.

That is like Idiable stated the difference between 1st and 3rd world infrastructure.

BANGKOK: -- Shopping-mall developers are spending Bt150 billion from this year to 2017 to expand their retail space from 18 million square metres to 21 million square metres in three years.

Here's a thought.

Could be better utilized to build paid parking facilities to help ease the parking issues in Bangkok.

Like Bangkok needs anymore retail stores.

Edited by ldiablo

It seems you are confused about parking permits. permits just allow you to park in certain areas. Its public parking with a permit, during designated times of the day. Which is something else BKK could look at. for business areas.

That is like Idiable stated the difference between 1st and 3rd world infrastructure.

Does Bkk actually have legal public kerbside parking and if it has is it behind the numerous street stalls that litter the road and pavements (sidewalks)?

Does Bkk actually have legal public kerbside parking and if it has is it behind the numerous street stalls that litter the road and pavements (sidewalks)?

With proper management, planning and enforcement anything is possible but instead lets expand our shopping facilities and spend 150 billion baht in doing so which in turn will creat more chaos on the streets of BKK.

A variation of this would be to require business's and residences to have adequate parking for the size of the building. This is how the USA deals with it. But the USA is a large country with millions of parking areas. It is all you see when you drive down the road. There has to be some adequate provisions built into the planning and issuing of building permits.

Almost all bangkokians live far away from their work, travelling 2-4 hours in traffic jam is pretty common.

Why not spread the offices more over the city? Or give bonus to people who share their car? Or build big offices at skytrain/metro stations.

Is it too hard to look how the farang solve problems? Better watch the Thai tv-series at night right with all the Donald Duck noises. beeeep, piiiiing, drumroll whistling.gif