Prayut urges patience and support for Thai democratisation

webfact

Prayut urges patience and support for Thai democratisation
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Patience is needed for democracy to return to Thailand, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday in an interview with the Voice of America in New York.

"Thai democracy still needs some fine-tuning, whether it is for the constitution… election process and especially governance and how politicians get into politics," Prayut told VOA during an exclusive interview on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly.

Prayut reaffirmed that Thai people want to have democracy like other countries but added that "we want to see an end to conflicts..."

He pointed out that Thai politics is different from politics in other countries thus more time is needed to embark on the democratic process. He said in the end other countries would understand the problems facing the Kingdom and urged friendly nations to support the full democratisation of Thailand.

"If there were no problems in the past, I wouldn't have had to come to take up the post [of prime minister]," said Prayut, who led the coup in May 22 last year.

The premier, who is also head of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), said if the new draft charter, which is due in April next year, is approved in a national referendum, Thailand will see a general election by mid-2017.

"People are alarmed that I extended the process. I didn't extend the process. If it can move faster, it should. But we should look [at] whether it will lead to peace."

Prayut denied suggestions he has further clamped down on freedom of expression in Thailand, saying he has given permission for people to exercise their freedom of expression at a "fairly high level" and that there has been no blocking of access to information although he disagrees with people who are calling for anti-government protests because now is not the right time to do so.

"I'm telling you that I have exercised my power only minimally," said Prayut.

However, the VOA pointed out in its report that the government has recently raised the prospect of limiting the number of international Internet access points from the current 10 to a single one, sparking fears of a Chinese-style firewall against content deemed objectionable by officials. The American news organisation also noted that concerns were raised in August by the UN Human Rights Office regarding the rise in prosecutions under the lese majeste law.

Prayut said the banning of public protests helped minimise "provocation of conflict and unrest".

The premier added that the unsettled charter has not deterred American firms from continuing to do business in the Kingdom, and noted that Thailand is the United States' closest ally in the region.

"I have met with dozens of US companies in Thailand, and they are happy to continue their investment. They are not talking to me about democracy. Rather, they are keen to know about changes in regulations and investment benefits."

The VOA noted that the American Chamber of Commerce in Thailand has more than 700 corporate partners, including big players like McDonald's, Philip Morris, Chevrolet and Coca-Cola.

On the issue of the Erawan Shrine bombing, Prayut said foreign leaders have expressed sympathy for what took place in Thailand and lauded the Kingdom for being able to quickly apprehend the suspect bombers.

Prayut also vowed to tackle human trafficking. "The past government didn't give [it] much attention. They may have thought it was okay."

He said he needs to think about how to deal with the issue of undocumented migrant workers and how to create jobs for them. "If the problems are not solved today, they will come back to these people."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prayut-urges-patience-and-support-for-Thai-democra-30269939.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-01

He gets more delusional by the day.

I thought Idi Amin was a mad man.

This guy makes him look like a monk.

When will the Thai people say enough of this BS.

When they do, it's going to go downhill rapidly.

This idiot is not going to give up his role as the Supreme Ruler easily.

He keeps talking about democracy.

I don't think he understands the meaning

Democracy quite simply is a political system where the supreme power lies with the citizens who can elect people to represent them.that body of people make decisions binding on the whole.

So any situation where the army can just march in and take control when they don't like something is not a democracy.

They are 'requested' by .....'elected' people to assist in the occurrence of civil unrest and that is all.

But they do not take control.

If an army deposes an elected body of people in a democratic society that is called a coup and is treason.

So Thailand is not a democracy and probably never has been and won't be until the influence of the army is written out of any constitution and practice.

He keeps talking about democracy.

I don't think he understands the meaning

Democracy quite simply is a political system where the supreme power lies with the citizens who can elect people to represent them.that body of people make decisions binding on the whole.

So any situation where the army can just march in and take control when they don't like something is not a democracy.

They are 'requested' by .....'elected' people to assist in the occurrence of civil unrest and that is all.

But they do not take control.

If an army deposes an elected body of people in a democratic society that is called a coup and is treason.

So Thailand is not a democracy and probably never has been and won't be until the influence of the army is written out of any constitution and practice.

Everyone talks about a democracy. Miss Yingluck "I come from democratic election naaa" to Sutthep's "Im excercising my democratic right to peaceful and polite protest."

And it's all bulls..t.

With the amount of teflers teaching English in this country , you would think someone would catch on to the meaning of the word other than just using it for effect.

Close but no cookie.

Idi Amin was a wrong choice to compare.

Amin's rule was characterized by human rights abuses, political repression, ethnic persecution, extrajudicial killings, nepotism, corruption, and gross economic mismanagement. The number of people killed as a result of his regime is estimated by international observers and human rights groups to range from 100,000[2] to 500,000 Wiki

Prayuth is not even close.

Edited by ratcatcher

Given of course that he has a limited academic "real" education as he didn't need it thro' his connections to reach the top, he has probably a very limited grasp of physics and/or possibly could not even pronounce Sir Isaac Newton in understandable English, but he should be mindful of "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". That applies to both the mechanical world and the political world.

Edited by whatawonderfulday

Quote "I thought Idi Amin was a mad man.

This guy makes him look like a monk."

Have you ANY idea of how many Ugandan citizens were slaughtered by Idi Amin's army? Anywhere between 80,000 and 300,000 people by the International Commission of Jurists and perhaps 500,000 by Amnesty International.

quote wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idi_Amin

He also expelled nearly 80,000 Asians who were not Ugandan citizens expropriating all their funds and properties, houses, businesses etc.

I am sure that you meant well but I suggest that you do a little research before you post.

AFAIK in Thailand nobody has been slaughtered or expelled from Thailand for being non Thai.

As for calling the PM an idiot, just think what you are to the Thai people and think what the PM is to the Thai people and work out who is the idiot.

He says he urges patience but the country is about to get worst because of the lack of freedoms to any other political party. Also lack of freedoms to the press and any news agencies. Hope he has a good plan for a peaceful solution to the countries political problems. But since he comes from the military i fear he will not be peaceful in his actions!

Close but no cookie.

Idi Amin was a wrong choice to compare.

Amin's rule was characterized by human rights abuses, political repression, ethnic persecution, extrajudicial killings, nepotism, corruption, and gross economic mismanagement. The number of people killed as a result of his regime is estimated by international observers and human rights groups to range from 100,000[2] to 500,000 Wiki

Prayuth is not even close.

5 out of 6 is pretty close.

The "provocation of conflict and unrest" is a fundamental of democracy. It comes with an open and free society.

When you govern a nation like its was part of a military organization, you get a nation like North Korea. And maybe that's the whole idea!