US: Kelly Gissendaner executed in Georgia despite pleas for clemency

webfact

Kelly Gissendaner executed in Georgia despite pleas for clemency

606x341_314410.jpg

ATLANTA: -- Kelly Gissendaner has been executed in the state of Georgia in the United States.

She became the first woman to be executed in the state for 70 years.

Gissendaner was convicted of murder for persuading her lover to kill her husband in 1997.

Despite interventions from the Pope and her children the sentence was carried out.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-01

I'm sick of the Pope thinking he has any business meddling in American politics. If they're going to execute people (which I don't happen to favor) I don't get why convicted women should get special treatment.

Next ...

Sadly JT you get more and more right wing with every post. Of course this woman didn't actually commit the murder, the man that did was given clemency and is eligible for parole in a few years. How can that be right? If Iran or Russia did this you would be screaming from the rooftops! Your credibility is slipping.

I'm sick of the Pope thinking he has any business meddling in American politics. If they're going to execute people (which I don't happen to favor) I don't get why convicted women should get special treatment.

Next ...

... Nothing finally. ermm.gif

Next ...

Just reading how the Kentucky gay-hating city clerk had a private audience with the Pope that wasn't announced until after he buggered off. She claims he hugged her and told her to stay strong. Then he allegedly gave her some baubles and trinkets.

Next ...

The strong message from the US media does seem to be that the life of a woman who arranged the murder of her husband is worth more than the life of a man who arranges the murder of his wife. It is so much more shocking somehow?

Commendable liberal support for the feminist cause in the 21st century.

She was the one who set up the murder. Premeditated, she deserved no mercy. My opinion is the same irrespective of country just for the record

I agree that she was the one who set it up. The problem is that the guy who actually carried out the killing got a plea deal of life imprisonment for testifying against her. I don't know the details of the case, but to me that seems fundamentally unfair.

She was the one who set up the murder. Premeditated, she deserved no mercy. My opinion is the same irrespective of country just for the record

I agree that she was the one who set it up. The problem is that the guy who actually carried out the killing got a plea deal of life imprisonment for testifying against her. I don't know the details of the case, but to me that seems fundamentally unfair.

He should have received the death penalty as well. Life is I agree totally unfair.

Papa Francis isn't objecting because her murder case wasn't especially sensational but because his dogma opposes the death penalty for anyone. Nothing wrong with opposing the death penalty but it is still legal in the U.S. I agree the case didn't seem to be a normal death penalty level case but sadly she got convicted and sentenced to death so the Georgia "justice" system saw it differently.

Edited by Jingthing

So you're against the idea of plea bargaining? I'll bet a whole lot of serious crime would go unpunished without them, and that seems like the greater evil.

The proper way to end a marriage is a divorce or annulment. Of course if you want to keep every thing, money, house other property then a divorce may not work for you. Maybe it would have been different if she stepped up and confessed just like the actual killer she would have gotten life without parole.

"Simple, you do the deed, you pay the price" !!

So you're against the idea of plea bargaining? I'll bet a whole lot of serious crime would go unpunished without them, and that seems like the greater evil.

Is essence no but for murder yes. If the police don't have enough evidence then they should get it without offering deals to murderers. They should have enough evidence to go to trial and not be relying on the word of a person they know committed the crime

Edited by gandalf12

Is essence no but for murder yes. If the police don't have enough evidence then they should get it without offering deals to murderers. They should have enough evidence to go to trial and not be relying on the word of a person they know committed the crime

That's just unrealistic and impractical. Whether or not a co-conspirator's or past criminal's word is enough to rely on is for a jury to decide. I didn't attend the trial, but you can bet the jury heard the defense counsel present your exact point -- apparently without success. You're implying the police took some "shortcut" here, and you really don't have the facts to support that. If it takes a deal to convict two murderers (or any other miscreant), and one gets life instead of the needle, then so be it. Ideally in this case, both would've gotten the death penalty. But the world's not a perfect place. (If it were, there wouldn't be any murders in the first place.)

My gripe is that the lifer probably won't actually serve life thanks to the bleeding hearts that infect the whole process.