Where do you buy your bread?

slafriphos

The only European bread worth buying is from Bei Otto and sold at Friendship or Villa market. Also the German bakery Back Fabrik in Jomtien has excellent fresh bread, but more on the expensive side. All other bread types sold here are just not up to the standards we Scandinavians would call a bread.

Rather narrow minded to say, different people different strokes. Some of us don't like heavy German bread but don't tell others it's no good......

No problem , if you're from Scandinavia you would know what we miss here , the white bread or loaf is not really what we would call bread, especially if its full of sugar and other additives.

I have lived in the US and had to suffer through my studies, I ended up baking the bread myself.

Balo I too don't like bleached white heavily sugared bread but I believe here in Pattaya we now have a good selection of artisan bread, one of my favourites is a wholegrain Scandinavian bread that I buy from Friendship (I believe from the Flag on the packaging it's Danish). And if theres nothing I like the look of I will make my own, it maybe white but I know what's gone in to it.

I agree, I am just a bit picky when it comes to bread, after testing out almost all the brands here , including the one with Danish flag, I just prefer Bei Otto.

If you ever wondered why you can't find Bei Otto farmer bread at Friendship anymore , it's because I stock them up weekly and put them in the freezer, they only get a limited number of them from Bangkok so I try to be there on the delivery date . And I will not tell you which day of the week they arrive , there is a competition between some of us to get there first tongue.png

Edited by balo

Big C Extra has a nice selection of European breads, Best in Naklua has a good selection of German breads, French rolls and baguettes, as well as pita breads. Au Bon Pain does a nice whole wheat and multigrain loaves, and even the local Farmhouse breads available at "7" and elsewhere now does a thick slice whole wheat and 12-Grain loaves, which are nice for sandwiches.

even the local Farmhouse breads available at "7" and elsewhere now does a thick slice whole wheat and 12-Grain loaves, which are nice for sandwiches.

Is this something new from the usual sponge bread they sell?

Haven't seen it anywhere.

Its been around for a while, Foodland, "Seven," and anywhere that stocks Farmhouse breads gets some loaves of these as well. It's not up to artisenal bread standards but for grilled cheese or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches it fits the bill.

I guess this is the one you have in mind?

1443666642.png

Haven't seen it anywhere, and I frequently buy the regular whole wheat from farmhouse from Big C extra or foodland.Will have a look for it

All at Foodland this morning.

post-167660-0-66022100-1443932484_thumb.

even the local Farmhouse breads available at "7" and elsewhere now does a thick slice whole wheat and 12-Grain loaves, which are nice for sandwiches.

Is this something new from the usual sponge bread they sell?

Haven't seen it anywhere.

Its been around for a while, Foodland, "Seven," and anywhere that stocks Farmhouse breads gets some loaves of these as well. It's not up to artisenal bread standards but for grilled cheese or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches it fits the bill.

I guess this is the one you have in mind?

1443666642.png

Haven't seen it anywhere, and I frequently buy the regular whole wheat from farmhouse from Big C extra or foodland.Will have a look for it

All at Foodland this morning.

attachicon.gifIMG_20151004_105841.jpg

Noticed the whole grain at Big C extra the other day, think they sold it at 32 Baht, and for 7 or 8 slices I found that pretty overpriced. Had a touch on the bag and it felt the same sponge bread as the regular whole wheat.

In that case I stay with the Big C whole wheat at 20 Baht for approx 300 - 350 gram.

Edited by TheCruncher

If you ever wondered why you can't find Bei Otto farmer bread at Friendship anymore , it's because I stock them up weekly and put them in the freezer, they only get a limited number of them from Bangkok so I try to be there on the delivery date . And I will not tell you which day of the week they arrive , there is a competition between some of us to get there first tongue.png

I went in yesterday, just after 7.30am wondered why I couldn't find any, then again, they didn't seem to have much of anything, probably too early.

The only European bread worth buying is from Bei Otto and sold at Friendship or Villa market. Also the German bakery Back Fabrik in Jomtien has excellent fresh bread, but more on the expensive side. All other bread types sold here are just not up to the standards we Scandinavians would call a bread.

Rather narrow minded to say, different people different strokes. Some of us don't like heavy German bread but don't tell others it's no good......

Friendship sells German, French, Russian and Finnish bread, or at least did last time I checked the bread section. I must admit that I do have a soft spot for the crusty French bread.

I only went to Bak Fabrik once for a sandwich but it might have been the best bread I've had in Thailand.

• 1 month later...

New to me was the Danish Bakery breads at Friendship. (But I'm fairly new to Friendship, which I ignored for years because it's so far away from me.) Liked their whole wheat bread; their multi-grain, not so much. But it was a breath of fresh air to see informative labels and product dating. Almost no other bakery does this. You aren't even told what bread it is on many fancy (mostly French) products.

tv-danishbread-M.jpg

My understanding, BAKERS correct me if I'm wrong, is that if your fresh bread doesn't go very stale in TWO DAYS, then it is pumped with processed TRANSFATS. Transfats are extremely harmful to health and are rare in nature. That's the information I want to see on the bread labels here (also the sugar content) and it is NOT there. bah.gif

Edited by Jingthing

My understanding, BAKERS correct me if I'm wrong, is that if your fresh bread doesn't go very stale in TWO DAYS, then it is pumped with processed TRANSFATS. Transfats are extremely harmful to health and are rare in nature. That's the information I want to see on the bread labels here (also the sugar content) and it is NOT there. bah.gif

It confounds me that western-owned bakeries don't put decent basic info on bread labels. What is it with these people? They've completely abandoned home labelling practices. I want to know what percentage of whole wheat is in whole wheat bread, for example. Foodland's is a pathetic 18%. I also want to know the sugar content so I can stay away from the product made for the sugar-crazed Thai market. Most bakeries don't even tell you what bread is in the bag.