New Labour Permanent Secretary vows to increase jobs for Thais

webfact

I always took it that foreigners can own food and drink service places but not serve in them. Foreigners have been stung serving beers for years.

But is that b/c it was prohibited or b/c they didn't have a work permit? Anyway, the frustrating thing has to be for foreign small business owners who can't find good help and legally cannot serve a drink in their own business without a permit.

He could start by lowering the retirement age to 55, to remove some of the dead wood.

Seriously, there are a lot of really smart, hard-working Thai's who have been helping Khun Boondarik achieve his goal - they are the ones who leave Thailand (taking their services to other countries), thus vacating their jobs for the less industrious.

Meanwhile, I'm certain the opposite applies here to that in most developed countries - In Thailand, they would never consider using a machine when they can use 10 people more cheaply, regardless of the quality of the workmanship!

The reality is that there is already just so much redundancy in the Thai workforce (especially amongst government departments), which fosters endemic apathy, exploitation, and corruption.

Still, I suppose any meaningless, mind-numbing job is better than no job at all. If all else fails, one could apply for the RTP (with its low pay, but high rewards).

I don't understand Thai unemployment numbers. I can't drive into any town or down any busy road without seeing rows of tiny businesses, stalls, carts and so on. Are these people "employed?"

Maybe they refer to that as the gray area, as it's anyone's guess how many are working and how many are loafing around.
The Thai survey method is generous. If you work one hour in a month, you are employed. I'm not kidding.

He could start by lowering the retirement age to 55, to remove some of the dead wood.

Seriously, there are a lot of really smart, hard-working Thai's who have been helping Khun Boondarik achieve his goal - they are the ones who leave Thailand (taking their services to other countries), thus vacating their jobs for the less industrious.

Meanwhile, I'm certain the opposite applies here to that in most developed countries - In Thailand, they would never consider using a machine when they can use 10 people more cheaply, regardless of the quality of the workmanship!

The reality is that there is already just so much redundancy in the Thai workforce (especially amongst government departments), which fosters endemic apathy, exploitation, and corruption.

Still, I suppose any meaningless, mind-numbing job is better than no job at all. If all else fails, one could apply for the RTP (with its low pay, but high rewards).

Actually, he might need to push the retirement age back to 65. Certain professions here (teachers and other government workers) are facing a shortage.