CCTV security & internet access in village

petejjj

Hi,

I have a couple of questions:

First Question:

does anyone know of a CCTV system that can be installed at our 'typical Thai house' in the village?

Issue is that there is no fixed land line or internet service at the house or in the village. Would have to use the mobile - cell phone network to remotely access CCTV from abroad. The internet works fine via the smart phone when we are there.

Intent is to allow us to monitor house via CCTV in our absence (abroad)

Second question:

Does anyone have some practical advice on getting internet access in the village? What are the options? Currently we use smart phones via DTAC netwrok.

many thanks

regards

-P

You might visit all 3 offices of internet providers in the largest town near you. In Buriram I checked with T.O.T. Maxnet aka 3BB aka TTT and then CAT C.A.T. offered fiber optic service at a fair price in the village and the form was easy. The other two ISP did not go to the particular Buriram village. Easy to get concrete ready mix delivered to the village, but two out of three internet providers did not serve that village.

post-20604-0-02633700-1443687684_thumb.j

I've just been using a Belkin Netcam. I'm not endorsing this particular brand or model but I'll explain what it does.

The unit has one lead for power. You plug it in and point it where you want. Download the app from the app store and set up the options. These are simple and intuitive. The first job is to join it to your wireless network.

You can set up email alerts so that if anything moves in the field of vision it will email you with photos. This happens quickly. You can set other options such as audio, frame rate, sensitivity, etc.

Any time you want to you can start the app and view the camera(s) live. You can listen to the audio too.

With this model, you can also record to the cloud, but their is an extra fee for this and I'm guessing it would not suit a mobile connection.

You can change the options on the app at any point.

It's not the best picture in the world but it's good enough. Overall, it's very handy indeed.

You might visit all 3 offices of internet providers in the largest town near you. In Buriram I checked with T.O.T. Maxnet aka 3BB aka TTT and then CAT C.A.T. offered fiber optic service at a fair price in the village and the form was easy. The other two ISP did not go to the particular Buriram village. Easy to get concrete ready mix delivered to the village, but two out of three internet providers did not serve that village.

..thanks for the reply kamalabob.

To my knowledge there is no cable (FO) or even landline telephone cables in the village. Telephone lines may possibly be out on the main road which is 500m away.

Do you know if there is a satellite option or 3G mobile network home option? This would be more practical given lack of or no cables within the village.

We will certainly follow up on your advice re largest town. Ours being Uttaradit (45mins) or Phitsanulok (1hr 20min).

thanks

regards

-P

I've just been using a Belkin Netcam. I'm not endorsing this particular brand or model but I'll explain what it does.

The unit has one lead for power. You plug it in and point it where you want. Download the app from the app store and set up the options. These are simple and intuitive. The first job is to join it to your wireless network.

You can set up email alerts so that if anything moves in the field of vision it will email you with photos. This happens quickly. You can set other options such as audio, frame rate, sensitivity, etc.

Any time you want to you can start the app and view the camera(s) live. You can listen to the audio too.

With this model, you can also record to the cloud, but their is an extra fee for this and I'm guessing it would not suit a mobile connection.

You can change the options on the app at any point.

It's not the best picture in the world but it's good enough. Overall, it's very handy indeed.

..thanks for the reply blackcab.

The kit you described sounds ideal and sufficient for our application. Only issue is to my knowledge there is no internet in the village except via the 3G mobile cell phone network. We will need to resolve internet connectivity prior to sorting the CCTV system.

thanks

regards

-P

You can use a 3G android phone , there are many apps that turn it into a security camera ,

I am sure there are dedicated web cameras that use a 3G sim card ,

and then there are "game cams" that are self contained , battery powered and save photos to an SD card ,

they are motion activated .

and you are probably going to want battery back-up just in case they turn off the mains power !

You can use a 3G android phone , there are many apps that turn it into a security camera ,

I am sure there are dedicated web cameras that use a 3G sim card ,

and then there are "game cams" that are self contained , battery powered and save photos to an SD card ,

they are motion activated .

and you are probably going to want battery back-up just in case they turn off the mains power !

...thanks BKKdreaming for your reply.

the dedicated camera that uses a 3G sim card will be suffice until we sort, or try to sort a permanent internet connection from the provider.

I believe T.O.T. have a satellite internet service. Not sure if anyone have already tried this?

thanks

regards

-P

Can never understand why people want to remotely view CCTV from thousands of kms away, after all it's not like you can do anything about it, plus the chances of viewing the CCTV at the exact same time someone is on your property must be quite remote.

More of a gimmick if you ask me but perhaps i have it all wrong and it can be useful.

Can never understand why people want to remotely view CCTV from thousands of kms away, after all it's not like you can do anything about it, plus the chances of viewing the CCTV at the exact same time someone is on your property must be quite remote.

More of a gimmick if you ask me but perhaps i have it all wrong and it can be useful.

thanks alfieconn

I already have a CCTV system installed at my native home and have found it useful post any event and as a deterrent.

In our application in Thailand we have family and friends within the village, so they can assist with monitoring the CCTV system and also with responding accordingly.

thanks

regards

-P

Ask TOT about WiNet which is a Wimax like system, no phone lines required. AiS have a similar system, I think it's called AirNet or something like that.

This will probably do better in the Tech forum, moving there.

Ask TOT about WiNet which is a Wimax like system, no phone lines required. AiS have a similar system, I think it's called AirNet or something like that.

This will probably do better in the Tech forum, moving there.

...many thanks Crossy.

I found that forum. cheers and thanks :-)

Pay for phone cable if you are not too far from junction box (up to 3-3.5km is okay) and TOT will install adsl for you.

Just get a 4 camera standard chinese-made cctv with cctv cameras. You can watch from mobile phone (mEYE app) and iPad. Cheap and reliable.

Pay for phone cable if you are not too far from junction box (up to 3-3.5km is okay) and TOT will install adsl for you.

Just get a 4 camera standard chinese-made cctv with cctv cameras. You can watch from mobile phone (mEYE app) and iPad. Cheap and reliable.

...OK many thanks for the reply muratremix.

There is a police check point on the main hwy into the local town and it's located about 1km away. I'd assume they'd have telephone landlines there.

I will pursue TOT as per your recommendation.

thanks

regards

-P

Hi

this came up today in my email

http://sharewareonsale.com/s/cyberlink-youcam-giveaway-coupon-sale

WebCam software that you can set up as security cam , and for 3 days its free

Do you have any idea how much a normal desktop pc consumes electric?

Besides, after 3-5 meters, usb cables does not work. You can't mount a webcam outside of home, nor they can not provide nightvision with IR lights.

CCTV systems are cheap, energy efficient and better designed for the job.

Seems your looking for a system that can

Run off mains or maybe Solar-recharged batteries
Utilize a 3G/4G/LTE connection for Data Internet

Send or eMail periodic images

Send or eMail when motion is detected

Allow anytime remote-in connection for live video streaming (some allow an SMS or a phone call to the SIM number to trigger 3G connection)

Suggest the OP do a google search for 3G Remote Location CCTV Camera

Hopefully you'd find lots of responses similar to this one:
Just be cautions.
Like Mobile phone, the unit you want to purchase/install must work with the Mobile Operator in your area (matching both radio band and radio protocol/technology).
And like anything else, some unit designs/feature-sets will be better that others.

Seems your looking for a system that can

Run off mains or maybe Solar-recharged batteries

Utilize a 3G/4G/LTE connection for Data Internet

Send or eMail periodic images

Send or eMail when motion is detected

Allow anytime remote-in connection for live video streaming (some allow an SMS or a phone call to the SIM number to trigger 3G connection)

Suggest the OP do a google search for 3G Remote Location CCTV Camera

Hopefully you'd find lots of responses similar to this one:
Just be cautions.
Like Mobile phone, the unit you want to purchase/install must work with the Mobile Operator in your area (matching both radio band and radio protocol/technology).
And like anything else, some unit designs/feature-sets will be better that others.

thanks RichCor

many thanks for the reply and details. Yes this will be suffice in the interim until we get permanent internet via either telephone line (ADSL) or WiFi as per previous replies.

thanks again

regards

-P