Over 74 million prepaid mobile phones registered as deadline expires

webfact

Over 74 million prepaid mobile phones registered as deadline expires

274-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) says mobile phone users have registered over 74 million prepaid SIM cards after the deadline for registration expired end of September.

The registration of the prepaid SIM cards represented 87% of total prepaid SIM cards, said NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tantasith.

He said that those mobile phone users who failed to register by the September 30 deadline won’t be able to use their phones to make call, but just to answer calls only.

He said about 10 million active prepaid SIM cards did not register.

He said the registered number was satisfactory as it exceeded the projected target of the NBTC.

The mandatory registration of prepaid mobile phone users was based on national insecurity reason as violence in the deep south involved mainly the use of homemade bombs detonated by unregistered mobile phone users.

Security officials believed the termination of service of unregistered SIM cards will see a drop in the use of mobile phones to detonate roadside bombs.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/over-74-million-prepaid-mobile-phones-registered-as-deadline-expires

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-10-02

I know it is a pain in the butt but this is the only way to stop mobiles being use to energize bombs and OZ( like a lot more countries ) have had this right from the beginning of mobile phones, as soon as you buy one you are registered , mind you , you have to be registered to do anything in OZ, even down to pissing in the back lane , OZ the land of Don't s and red Tape, Indonesia has had this requirement in for at least 10 years coffee1.gif

He said that those mobile phone users who failed to register by the September 30 deadline won’t be able to use their phones to make call, but just to answer calls only.

So our privacy gets violated , but you can still use the unregistered phones to detonate bombs ....?

So, just to be sure I understand. When I arrived two months ago and got another new sim card

I had to produce ID. So that means I am registered, correct or not? Is there another step we

were supposed to take? Just making sure.

So our privacy gets violated , but you can still use the unregistered phones to detonate bombs ....?

Privacy hardly gets violated if you can't make a call in the first place.

So, just to be sure I understand. When I arrived two months ago and got another new sim card

I had to produce ID. So that means I am registered, correct or not? Is there another step we

were supposed to take? Just making sure.

Yes, you should be covered, test it with a mate ....now enjoy Thailand ;)

Privacy hardly gets violated if you can't make a call in the first place.

Ummmmm.......

ULIC

you will have to contact your provider, give them your mobile number and ask if the sim card is registered. It took me 3 times sending required info before mine was officially registered. They will need picture of sim card with number readable, copy of passport with name, they have a form letter you need to copy and sign, then send the signed copy. like I said, I did this 3 times and then each time asked about a week later if it was registered, received a generic letter teliing me the same thing 3 times on what to do to register it. Typical Thai BS, it was a pain, but it will work eventually. The problem now is, if it wasnt registered before Oct. 1, 2015...you might have already lost your mobil number.

I have bought and discarded about ten sim cards here in Thailand

Are they counting those or the only ones that are being used?

There would be lots of people in Thailand who still would know they have to register their ID for a time card they have had for years I reckon.

At the TeleWiz shop today there were so many trying to last minute registration.

Amazing Thailand , isn't it ? They think the bombs are detonated by using the phone to call ..... 555

Last time I came through Suvarnabhumi, the guy checking arrival cards before passport control told me I had to write my telephone number on the arrival card, even though there is no space for it - I said which number. He said your cellphone in Thailand. I said I don't have one. He said I must have.

So apparently it is compulsory to have a cellphone in Thailand. In the end we agreed that the only phone number I could write down is the office number in my home country, which is unmanned while I am in Thailand. Good compromise....

Last time I came through Suvarnabhumi, the guy checking arrival cards before passport control told me I had to write my telephone number on the arrival card, even though there is no space for it - I said which number. He said your cellphone in Thailand. I said I don't have one. He said I must have.

So apparently it is compulsory to have a cellphone in Thailand. In the end we agreed that the only phone number I could write down is the office number in my home country, which is unmanned while I am in Thailand. Good compromise....

I got my first sim card in Thailand in 2001 and had to show my passport back then.

------------------------

They do some strange stuff at the airport sometimes.

Back in 2001-2004 I was traveling a lot in and out via Don Muang, and out of the clear blue, right outside the jetway upon arrival (NOT DEPARTURE) there would be 12-15 airport staff wanting to see everybody's used boarding passes, many of which had been left on the plane.

They did that for about 6 months too, meaning they weren't looking for a specific person.

I still haven't figured that one out.

Good job because it took about two minute to register my phone. Security is #1 and the lazy people who did not register there phone SIMS i do not feel sorry for them. You even gave them a extra month.