bars closing at 12 am

DanceAllNight

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not true then?

What exactly are you claiming?

That “grown up” countries have no restrictions on where alcohol can be sold, at what time of day it can be sold, and to whom it can be sold?

Because if that is your claim, then please let us know which countries you consider “grown up”, because all the developed societies that I am familiar with do regulate alcohol sale.

No-one said that grown up countries don't have any regulations. However, most developed countries allow the sale of alcohol after midnight, which is what the topic is about. I can't think of any that don't, do you?

What would stop any bar from stopping all sales of alcohol at midnight and continuing to stay open until they wanted to close (assuming they would keep the noise down, if that's the law)? Think of it as going to a dance -- for a while in the beginning you dance to loud, frenetic sounds and then at the end, you have slow dances (more romantic as well).

Does the law specifically state that establishments that sell alcohol have to close at midnight or that sales of alcohol must cease?

I don't know if it would be economically feasible to stay open without the sales of alcohol, but it might be.

Of course, serious partiers start sober and get drunker as the night progresses and stopping drinking and rictoring down the buzz might be anathema to the whole thing, but it might be better than going home.

The British rule of waiting until the sun goes down seems to rule Asia

I must have been applying the wrong rule all these years then: first tipple after the sun is over the yardarm. burp.gif

first tipple after the sun is over the yardarm, anywhere in the Empire! (I'll drink to that)

The British rule of waiting until the sun goes down seems to rule Asia

I must have been applying the wrong rule all these years then: first tipple after the sun is over the yardarm. burp.gif

first tipple after the sun is over the yardarm, anywhere in the Empire! (I'll drink to that)

Must be getting pretty dry out there then.whistling.gif

What would stop any bar from stopping all sales of alcohol at midnight and continuing to stay open until they wanted to close (assuming they would keep the noise down, if that's the law)? Think of it as going to a dance -- for a while in the beginning you dance to loud, frenetic sounds and then at the end, you have slow dances (more romantic as well).

Does the law specifically state that establishments that sell alcohol have to close at midnight or that sales of alcohol must cease?

I don't know if it would be economically feasible to stay open without the sales of alcohol, but it might be.

Of course, serious partiers start sober and get drunker as the night progresses and stopping drinking and rictoring down the buzz might be anathema to the whole thing, but it might be better than going home.

"What would stop any bar from stopping all sales of alcohol at midnight and continuing to stay open until they wanted to close (assuming they would keep the noise down, if that's the law)?"

Short answer, the police. They're driving around before midnight to show themselves then again after midnight to make sure the places are closed. Remember TIT--it doesn't matter what the law is, what matters is how the police choose to enforce their interpretation of the law (the ones they choose to enforce).

However if the police chose to allow bars to stay open without making sales, why would the bar owner's want to do this?

No-one said that grown up countries don't have any regulations.

However, most developed countries allow the sale of alcohol after midnight, which is what the topic is about. I can't think of any that don't, do

you?

What was said was that “If a business wants to sell late, early or both, it should be allowed to”, that is pretty close to no regulations.

For the exact regulations, maybe midnight is early, but in most Western cities with a population similar to Chiang Mai, I cannot find a bar with outdoor serving, live music, and open until midnight on every single day of the week, but I can find that easily in Chiang Mai.

Even in larger Western cities, it can be a challenge to find a place that is open past midnight on weeknights, even harder to find a disco.

So Chiang Mai is not really more restrictive than your typical Western city with a population of 2-300k people. The main difference seems to be that some venues are able to ignore the rules for longer periods, making expats think that this is how things should be, rather than be concerned about a system where rules are not the same for everyone (although I’m sure there exists different licenses for bars/discos, as there also do in the West).

However, most developed countries allow the sale of alcohol after midnight, which is what the topic is about. I can't think of any that don't, do

you?

What was said was that “If a business wants to sell late, early or both, it should be allowed to”, that is pretty close to no regulations.

For the exact regulations, maybe midnight is early, but in most Western cities with a population similar to Chiang Mai, I cannot find a bar with outdoor serving, live music, and open until midnight on every single day of the week, but I can find that easily in Chiang Mai.

Even in larger Western cities, it can be a challenge to find a place that is open past midnight on weeknights, even harder to find a disco.

So Chiang Mai is not really more restrictive than your typical Western city with a population of 2-300k people. The main difference seems to be that some venues are able to ignore the rules for longer periods, making expats think that this is how things should be, rather than be concerned about a system where rules are not the same for everyone (although I’m sure there exists different licenses for bars/discos, as there also do in the West).

"Even in larger Western cities, it can be a challenge to find a place that is open past midnight on weeknights, even harder to find a disco."

Did you try looking in cities outside of Utah?

you?

"Even in larger Western cities, it can be a challenge to find a place that is open past midnight on weeknights, even harder to find a disco."

The state of Utah is the last place to go for a drink. Most of the west is 2 am closing and yes its enforced.

Of course they have restrictions. It is regulated. But not on some miserable sods whim.

what country has a miserable sod saying when to close. Here in Thailand we have laws that say when to close. Care to name the country with no laws just a miserable sod making the decisions.

Thai bashing in a sneaky way again I see.

you?

Lol, you are kidding yourself if you think most western bars close at 12 am, like seriously, in most of western countries, it close at 4 am, I couldn't care more about disco bars, but if its 3am and you are looking for some action in whatever western area, you will find some, I have a hard time finding anything past 11 pm in chiang mai.

Of course they have restrictions. It is regulated. But not on some miserable sods whim.

what country has a miserable sod saying when to close. Here in Thailand we have laws that say when to close. Care to name the country with no laws just a miserable sod making the decisions.

You mean the law that says its midnight in Chiang Mai ??

Or the law that says its 1am in Bangkok ??

Or the law that says its 2am in Phuket (clubs later) ??

Or the law that says 3 or 4am in Pattaya ??

Or the law that said it was 2am last year ??

Which law are you claiming is so accurately followed.. Or is it actually simply down to local enforcement and only having a vague tenious relationship with any law

you?

The state of Utah is the last place to go for a drink. Most of the west is 2 am closing and yes its enforced.

My information is definitely not current (I don't get out like I used to) but I understand that cities like New York, New Orleans, Las Vegas, and others are all night long places. It varies by country in Europe, but Madrid fifteen years ago was definitely all night. I'm sure other people can provide many other examples.

Closing times vary a great deal across the world. The problem here is arbitrary changes in closing times, which is bad for businesses and tourism.

Nothing to contribute as such but I am perversely amused that the topic "bars closing at 12 am" is for the momment immediaetly followed by "happy sausage suprise in chiang mai"......it is good to see that some things have not changed for those that would be happy that sausage is still out and about as usual in the dark recesses of Loi Kroh after midnight. smile.png. Last drinks gentlemen...bottoms up.

edit...bugger (the exclamation noun not active verb) by posting I ruined it.

I am bashing an individual. There are no such restrictions in other Thai cities. Stop with the irrelevant bleating.

My information is definitely not current (I don't get out like I used to) but I understand that cities like New York, New Orleans, Las Vegas, and others are all night long places. It varies by country in Europe, but Madrid fifteen years ago was definitely all night. I'm sure other people can provide many other examples.

Closing times vary a great deal across the world. The problem here is arbitrary changes in closing times, which is bad for businesses and tourism.

Your understanding is off. New York stops sells at 1 am https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_New_York Las Vegas/nevada is 24-7 because of the gaming. New Orleans does party on but most other perishes close at 2 am. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States

I am bashing an individual. There are no such restrictions in other Thai cities. Stop with the irrelevant bleating.

There are restrictions in other Thai cities you just don't want to see them . I'm not talking about the tourist traps of Sin City , BK and Phuket. Every town in Isann knocks it on the head by 1 am and most by 12 midnight and were talking about cities of 250,000 population with serious farang influence.

There are restrictions in other Thai cities you just don't want to see them . I'm not talking about the tourist traps of Sin City , BK and Phuket. Every town in Isann knocks it on the head by 1 am and most by 12 midnight and were talking about cities of 250,000 population with serious farang influence.

No we're not, we're talking about the ar$e end of nowhere and little to do with tourism.

Your understanding is off. New York stops sells at 1 am https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_New_York Las Vegas/nevada is 24-7 because of the gaming. New Orleans does party on but most other perishes close at 2 am. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States

Gee, and they say that New York is the city that never sleeps.

It does seem that most of the US stays open later than midnight, and there are places in Europe, generally considered part of the western world, that sell quite late.

Clearly there are places in Thailand that stay open past midnight, just like Chiang Mai used to. More than a few people are unhappy about the new closing times, and not just old drunken ex-pats and rowdy backpackers.

Gee, and they say that New York is the city that never sleeps.

It does seem that most of the US stays open later than midnight, and there are places in Europe, generally considered part of the western world, that sell quite late.

Clearly there are places in Thailand that stay open past midnight, just like Chiang Mai used to. More than a few people are unhappy about the new closing times, and not just old drunken ex-pats and rowdy backpackers.

Further into the wiki page..I knew NYC Bars rock on to 4AM, as well as certain upstate areas.

"In New York, for the purposes of state law, there are only four hours out of each day of the week (with the exception of Sunday) in which alcohol may not be served: 4:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. This was designed to accommodate New York City nightlife as well as late night workers statewide in general. Some upstate areas such as Buffalo, Albany, and Saratoga Springs retain the 4am closing time although individual counties are free to set an earlier "last call." In Binghamton, this is at 3:00 a.m., in Syracuse, Plattsburgh, Oneonta, and Rochester, bars close at 2:00 a.m., and Elmira, Geneva, and Ithaca, have some of the earliest closing times in the state at 1 a.m. Alcohol may not be served before 12 Noon on Sunday. For a complete list of closing hours by county, see" -wikipedia

However if the police chose to allow bars to stay open without making sales, why would the bar owner's want to do this?

I mean selling non-alcoholic drinks, buying lady's drinks of the same ilk and so on. Maybe the sales would not be as good, but the mark-up on sodas is much greater than that of beer and wine.

I went to Spicy for the first time in a long time last night.

The police came and ordered everyone out maybe around 12:30?

Of course, the drunk backpackers were having none of this and refused to leave. The music ended and then they started chanting and kept the partying going.

I don't like it, but to mess with the police in a foreign country is a VERY stupid and dumb thing to do. Some people will never learn.

Anyway, I thought maybe Spicy would close around 1:30, but nope.

I saw some pretty girls on motorbikes come along after they closed..... seems not only the bars will go out of business soon... if u know what I mean wink.png

you?

Agree. It's getting tiresome listening to these foreigners whining/whinging about how Thais run their country when things back home aren't much different. It's simple...if things are so much better elsewhere, they should freakin go there. I have no problem at all with bars shutting down at midnight. If you can't do all you need to do before midnight, tough!

Agree. It's getting tiresome listening to these foreigners whining/whinging about how Thais run their country when things back home aren't much different. It's simple...if things are so much better elsewhere, they should freakin go there. I have no problem at all with bars shutting down at midnight. If you can't do all you need to do before midnight, tough!

I know, right? The audacity of people discussing their viewpoints in an online discussion forum.....wait, what?

you?

What was said was that If a business wants to sell late, early or both, it should be allowed to, that is pretty close to no regulations.

So Chiang Mai is not really more restrictive than your typical Western city with a population of 2-300k people. The main difference seems to be that some venues are able to ignore the rules for longer periods, making expats think that this is how things should be, rather than be concerned about a system where rules are not the same for everyone (although Im sure there exists different licenses for bars/discos, as there also do in the West).

Well you are right about it being foreigners complaining but if you read through the posts you will notice they are locals doing the complaining and not tourists. The tourism is getting so big they are extending the hours at the airport to accommodate them. Personally I don't care if they close them all down or open them all up 24 hours a day. It will be a cold day in hell when a bar hours mean as much to me as it does to very few. Bottom line is there is not many people complaining here about them.

I know, right? The audacity of people discussing their viewpoints in an online discussion forum.....wait, what?

Wait a minute, are you chastising me for giving MY viewpoint?? Sorry, but where I come from, it's perfectly acceptable to express oneself, e.g., complain about the complainers. Unless you have issues with freedom of speech.

you?

Firstly.. I dont know where you come from, but it IS much different.. Nightclubs elsewhere go on far later.. And as is being pointed out many times.. Nightclubs in Thailand go on far later. So 'how Thais run their country' isnt the issue is it ?? Its how this city is changing, not for the better.. and costing Thais economically.

Secondly, and the point is crucial enough to bear repeating.. Its a change in policy.. It isnt 'how Thais have run the country' under previous governments.. Its how an unelected Junta seem intent on punishing one specific area.. Its a change, not something thats always been that way.. Negative changes get reactions.

Archived