Chinese tourist visa in Chinese consulate in CM

banagan

Hi, has anyone gone through the process of getting a Chinese tourist visa here in Chiang Mai at the Consulate here.

I was on their site, but the info is all over the place, just wondering what documents etc I need, I assume,

Application form

Photo's

Airline ticket (return needed?)

Hotel info, possibly booking invoice?

Also, how long does it take... any info would be great, cheers.

It might help if you download the application form, and fill it in at home. One one occasion I was asked for addresses of each hotel, phone numbers etc and my day by day itinerary.

Next time they didn't seem interested.

Fees very according to which country you're from.

I was planning on looking around Hong Kong as well, but a 2nd visa is needed for that.

There's about 5 working days before you can collect your passport.

It might help if you download the application form, and fill it in at home. One one occasion I was asked for addresses of each hotel, phone numbers etc and my day by day itinerary.

Next time they didn't seem interested.

Fees very according to which country you're from.

I was planning on looking around Hong Kong as well, but a 2nd visa is needed for that.

There's about 5 working days before you can collect your pass

If you go to Hong Kong first (if you are from the West you don't need a visa) you can get a Chinese visa from the airport within 24 hrs. I've done it three times and it's a much more painless exercise then getting one in Thailand.

I only realised recently that I could have gone to HK from Macau, but as I'm being met in Shenzhen, I will have to remember this for next trip.

My Shenzhen friend won't go to HK, as he says everything, especially hotels is double the price.

Certainly, the Macau connection into China is rather ghastly, as all 41 Immigration queues are usually very busy. However, I discovered the 'over 65' queue and make use of that!

I only realised recently that I could have gone to HK from Macau, but as I'm being met in Shenzhen, I will have to remember this for next trip.

My Shenzhen friend won't go to HK, as he says everything, especially hotels is double the price.

Certainly, the Macau connection into China is rather ghastly, as all 41 Immigration queues are usually very busy. However, I discovered the 'over 65' queue and make use of that!

Get the ferry from Macau to Shenzhen port then pick up the underground to Shenzhen, just outside the ferry terminal. A comfortable relaxed way to travel.

Ferry, bus or train from HK to Shenzhen also.

Edited by Thailand

And OP, all of those things you mentioned to be on the safe side. And check you have the correct photo size, can't remember but check on the website. If not there is a photo shop on the opposite side of the road.

4 working days standard turn around. 2 days express for a fee.

Edited by Thailand

I had to show both plane ticket and hotel reservation but not a detailed itinerary.

But I think I reserved the hotel to match my flight dates, to avoid questions about my exact travels (I cancelled both flight and hotel afterward, since I wanted to go using a one-way-ticket and hadn’t done any detailed itinerary).