Relationships in thailand

riorobc023

Because extremely well off people generally speak several languages, including English. That is the norm.

Thai or foreigner?

Thai,

Yingluck (former Thai PM) can't speak English, despite having a degree in it.

Foreigner,

Bill Gates (CEO Microsoft) can't speak any language except English.

Foreigner,

Pablo Escobar (richest drug lord person in the world) only speaks Spanish.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course there are some disasters.

I am a lucky guy.

(I am not lucky at all things all the time).

We have a superb relationship.

How do I know?

(a) never had a separation

(cool.png I hear her singing romantic songs often (Thai & English).

Rule 1 of relationships,

The guy never has a clue when it's over, or how well it's going until it's over.

The op and the girl sound young if "we're attracted to each other" comes out in the description. Like, yeah I sure hope you both are.

Talking about how much you both make, what relevance does this have in this equation, or pointing out she's not out for your money?

Many decent suggestions made, but if you're already questioning then maybe this is a warning sign? Also, if you're lacking in the Thai culture nuances, then it gets better than this. I say tread gently and watch for any further balks at her end.

She makes 150,000 usd a year? or 150,000 baht. Can't believe 150,000USD a year. 3 months and she has you right where she wants you.

B150,000/yr is B12,500/mo; hardly extremely well off--perhaps B150,000/mo is only a little over $4k/mo; hardly extremely well of either. Even $150k/yr is only $12,500/mo, also not extremely well off. So, perhaps "extremely well off" is the culprit.

Now, if we are talking $150k/mo, could you give me her phone number?

The only way you would know she is (actually) making 150 K a year is if you were her accountant!

Lots of smoke and mirrors in Thailand, especially when it comes to money and relationships.

and never, (and I mean never) tell a Thai broad how much money you make a year, or how much you have in the bank.

Uncle Bob

I can only speak for myself.

My MiL knew about my wife's relationship with me even before I did.

If she is keeping secrets from her mother, something is amiss.

weird. what could possibly be the big secret ?

maybe her past relationship that lasted two years with another falang went wrong somewhere ?

she is embarrassed to tell mom that she is in relationship with falang?

she probably makes 150,000$ a year and i am well well over that, so i don't know what the issue is as it has nothing to do with money

its very puzzling for me, and i let go about the issue, because she isn't going anywhere, and neither am i.

but seriously strange

if any others have opinions please shed light thanks

150,000$ a year is 400,000 baht a month !

Is she Royalty perhaps ?

$12,500/mo perhaps royalty? There are O&G workers making that offshore today. Many developed-country professionals make that kind of money. I made more than that all throughout the eighties--30 odd years ago. Hardly royalty.

Anyone who has been in a relationship with a Thai over a year deserve a medal.

Been trying for over 20 years. Still can't get past the culture differences.

Good luck with your situation.

People always trot out the culture differences.

But what the hell are they? I would genuinely like to know.

I've lived in Thailand just over 7 years and in Asia for 42 and really don't know what these differences are that make it so hard for people to form proper relationships

I'm Caucasian, and I guarantee there are 'cultural differences' between me and other Caucasians. Just the class differences between me and the majority of Western expats is huge.

We don't all believe the same shit, or like the same things, etc so why is it so unexpected that people from two different races and countries would have different opinions?

But to say that those differences make it hard to be in a relationship just shows that you are (perhaps both) inflexible and can't consider each others ideas about things.

Because extremely well off people generally speak several languages, including English. That is the norm.

Thai or foreigner?

Thai,

Foreigner,

Foreigner,

I suppose all the videos I've seen of Yingluck speaking English were a body double then. I'll concede that her English is not as good as one would expect but she can understand it and speak it.

Every well off Thai I've personally met speaks near perfect English, most of them own property overseas and spend at least part of the year in Australia, Europe or the US.

Bill Gates said not learning a foreign language was the one thing he is ashamed of and Pablo Escobar (despite being an amazing person) had no reason to speak anything but Spanish (which being dead he no longer speaks.)

Anyway, who cares if those 3 individuals can speak English, they should be worshipped for their wealth not their linguistic skills. They can afford what ever translators they need in any case.

maybe her past relationship that lasted two years with another falang went wrong somewhere ?

she probably makes 150,000$ a year and i am well well over that, so i don't know what the issue is as it has nothing to do with money

its very puzzling for me, and i let go about the issue, because she isn't going anywhere, and neither am i.

but seriously strange

150,000$ a year is 400,000 baht a month !

Is she Royalty perhaps ?

$12,500/mo perhaps royalty? There are O&G workers making that offshore today. Many developed-country professionals make that kind of money. I made more than that all throughout the eighties--30 odd years ago. Hardly royalty.

Are you a Thai Lady ?

Thai or foreigner?

Thai,

Foreigner,

Foreigner,

Yinluck speaks more than a word of English. Bill gates speaks..wait for it..English. And Pablo Escobar had been dead for 20+ years so hardly a current reference. Those are the 3 relevant data points to your argument?

The OP stated that his girlfriends mom didn't speak a word of English. I find that hard to believe given how he has emphasized so much how wealthy they are. And even if she didn't speak English, that is no reason for them not to meet. If that were the case, many foreigners would not be with their thai wives.

The only way you would know she is (actually) making 150 K a year is if you were her accountant!

Lots of smoke and mirrors in Thailand, especially when it comes to money and relationships.

and never, (and I mean never) tell a Thai broad how much money you make a year, or how much you have in the bank.

Uncle Bob

In the long time I've been here I've met many high-class call girl's girls making huge amounts of money. Whilst their boyfriends don't know what they're doing

Uncle Bob

My girl knows about every nickel and dime of mine, and I mean every last cent.

I do agree with your "smoke and mirrors" in this classist and often superficial society.

I agree with CharlieH. Her reasons may very well be genuine so yes, give it time. You'll find a way to have your wishes answered all in good time.

For what it's worth, before retiring in my early 40's I was making US $200K-250K per year. My wife has her own business of ten years and nets THB 250K-350K per month.

I know the majority will doubt this but hey, some really do find their equals here in every way and have a bond of uncompromising loyalty and honesty with financial security on both sides.

"and never, (and I mean never) tell a Thai broad how much money you make a year, or how much you have in the bank."

Im guessing another one of many unsatisfied and untrusting individuals who perhaps was previously screwed. Sad!

Best wishes to the OP.

thaiduncankk said, “150,000$ a year is 400,000 baht a month !
Is she Royalty perhaps ?”

smotherb said, $12,500/mo perhaps royalty? There are O&G workers making that offshore today. Many developed-country professionals make that kind of money. I made more than that all throughout the eighties--30 odd years ago. Hardly royalty.

thaiduncankk said, “Are you a Thai Lady ?”

Are you a sexist? Women now make good salaries too. $150k/yr is hardly royalty

but seriously strange

$150,000 US Dollars?? thats about 5.4 Million baht a year?? Not many Thai's make that kind of money - and she was in a relationship with a Falung for over two years before you?? Not our typical story in this forum. Good luck.

Option 1

Mum knows her real Thai husband and would tell on her.

You are only number two (or three ........)

Option 2

Mum thinks white men are scum, and would disinherit daughter if she found out.

I really find it hard to believe her mother doesn't know the daughter is seeing a falang. Thai families have a spy network the CIA or KGB would be proud of.

The Coconut Telegraph

thaiduncankk said, 150,000$ a year is 400,000 baht a month !

Is she Royalty perhaps ?

smotherb said, $12,500/mo perhaps royalty? There are O&G workers making that offshore today. Many developed-country professionals make that kind of money. I made more than that all throughout the eighties--30 odd years ago. Hardly royalty.

thaiduncankk said, Are you a Thai Lady ?

Show me any Thai lady earning 400,000 baht a month.

No, I am not a sexist.

Any Thai lady earning that amount of money, and I am sure there are possibly a handful, would not

mix in circles with Western men.

I was pointing out that where the poster was almost certainly earning more than that offshore,

unless she is at the same level as, for example, the Boon Rawd heiress, forget it, it is utter BS !

Any Thai lady earning that amount of money, and I am sure there are possibly a handful, would not

There is a lot of truth to that comment ^

If a Thai woman is extremely well off it is likely she would not connect with a western man for a host of obvious reasons(especially not a man say 10, 15, 20 years older than her). I'm not saying it doesn't happen but it would be quite a rare occurrence.

but seriously strange

properly embarrassed to let her mom know she dating you, as you are a farang, if she is hiso as you would lead us to believe its looked down on to date a foreigner.

My guess is that with an income of way more than $150K she thinks you're a loser and would be embarrassed to introduce you to her family.

85 posts so probably not a troll, but sure sounds lile a troll post to me

She thinks he's a LOSER cos he earns over $150K------------ where are you coming from ??????????????????????????cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

If you are really concerned about the true background of the women then hire a private detective and you will learn the truth about the woman and her family.

Here in Thailand there are a percent of Thai or Thai / Chinese families that would not allow their daughters to entertain foreigners as boyfriends and lovers and certainly not marry a foreigner.

Some Thai Women, for what ever reasons, coming from a well off family here in Thailand are interested and or do date and have relationships with foreign men....but often enough they would be having a major conflict with their parents and family members.

Sometimes you would be caught in-between the conflict of family interests and would have to ask yourself it is worth all the drama while there could be ( sometimes it happens ) danger to your well being.

An Australian I new back in 1987 onwards was the lover of a young Thai women who was the daughter of a Thai military General.

Their relationship was kept a secret....more so by the Australian guy because he was certain the father would not be accepting of his daughters choice and had the Father known of their relationship ( not just friends only) there was a good possibility negative results would occur.....that he was certain of.

I could understand the situation ...but often I wished the Father would find out because the Australian man happened to be a real <deleted>...besides been a real prick....( an obnoxious, load mouth drunk ) so I was always hoping they would get caught out and something bad would happen orchestrated by a angry Thai military general and father who would be outraged by what his daughter was doing behind his back ......like maybe the obnoxious Australian guy would be thrown out of the country....lol....maybe....hopefully.

Cheers

Ok, well you have discovered the great Asian secret. The Asian (Thai, Chins, India, it really does not matter) view other races with disdain and mixed relationships with their daughters are not usually well received regardless of what fantasy westerners maintain about how an Asian girl with a white boyfriend should be lucky. When the Asian female in question has a family of sufficient wealth and status they do NOT want their daughter tied up with a foreigner of another race, it is not good face in their world and circles. They will need to put up with a great deal of angst from family members (grannies, cousins, etc) and friends and neighbors derogatory comments, gossip and glances. This can be highly intolerable for them. Sorry but that is the reality and 30 years of observation and interaction with these people. I hope you can work it out to your satisfaction but, just the same, plan for an uphill march all the way.

thaiduncankk said, 150,000$ a year is 400,000 baht a month !

Is she Royalty perhaps ?

thaiduncankk said, Are you a Thai Lady ?

Show me any Thai lady earning 400,000 baht a month.

No, I am not a sexist.

I was pointing out that where the poster was almost certainly earning more than that offshore,

unless she is at the same level as, for example, the Boon Rawd heiress, forget it, it is utter BS !

Allegedly, Yingluck's salary was US$ 4,144 per month, about a third of what that bird earns !

Why have all the hassle and grief of running the country for such a pittance in comparison ?

Had a lady once who's mother knew about me but didn't want her daughter to bring me to the village. My lady also was shy about having her picture taken.

It was really about the fact that she and her mother knew there was no future and didn't want to show me off knowing that they would later loose face.

I would guess it is something along the same lines that is happening.

Be happy as long as your GF don't tell her mother, when she finally do you will have to support her parents even if they are rich.

Anyway if you never met them you don't know how wealthy they are or how much debt they have. (maybe they are rice farmers in Isaan)

Don't rush into a wedding before you know her and her family well, if you are rich they accept you anyway.

Just my opinion.

Archived