Hammock

lotus eater

I guess you will not find anything of cotton - at least I never saw any.

But there are hammoks made of cloth. This are made of syntetic material as well, but much more comfortable than the others made of strings. You can find them on markets or in shops around markets. They are also used by the Thai army and you will find the best quality in army shops (finer cloth material and much better strings).

Regard

Thedi (a hammok fan)

Army shops??

Please elaborate. :o

Second that. My gf's response also was 'well you seem to be wanting soldier's hammock' but she had no idea where to find that.

Why not get one of those bamboo hammocks. They sell them all round the place. Only about 200 baht each and they are very strong and comfortable. Also a lot easier to get into and out of (in my case anyway)

What would one call these in thai? Does "all over" mean shops or open markets or ...? Pity you didn't post a pic of one - I hope you are recommending their comfort from actual experience rather than conjecture.

You just need to look around localy, there's plenty of them about, made from all sorts of stuff. We used to have a bamboo one, I did'nt like it myself. I find the most comfertable are made from quite thin nylon string (I think) but a very close mesh, not itchy at all. The other way is to get one just made out of a single pice of material (no mesh)

You do get often "army" stalls at local markets not sure if it's real army stuff but the sell camo gear and the like, never seen a hammok there but never really looked that hard

The Mut Mee guest house in Nong Khai had one of those woven bamboo hammoks and it was great....you might look them up on their website and send Julian an e-mail and ask him where he got his.

Chownah

Just looked up the site - and for me the mut mee is a worthwhile discovery in itself. I'll certainly be emailing him. Thanks for telling me about this place.

You just need to look around localy, there's plenty of them about, made from all sorts of stuff. We used to have a bamboo one, I did'nt like it myself. I find the most comfertable are made from quite thin nylon string (I think) but a very close mesh, not itchy at all. The other way is to get one just made out of a single pice of material (no mesh)

But how to get to these? If only someone could point to a specific place. So far the only specific tip has been an otop shop in phuket. In the meantime the thin green nylon string one I'm using - faute de mieux - is very itchy.

You do get often "army" stalls at local markets not sure if it's real army stuff but the sell camo gear and the like, never seen a hammok there but never really looked that hard

Again, I do keep on the lookout, but would like to find something soon.

I am a long way from Isaan --- but today in one of the OTOP shops here in Phuket I saw what looked like rope/hemp hammocks for 350 baht.

Well this specific but too far away. Is there an otop shop in Chiang Mai or Korat or Sattahip, I wonder.

I have seen non-synthetic fabric hammocks advertized in europe - but of course at crazy prices.

Many thanks for all the responses. Perhaps something will be pinned down soon. If so I shall certainly post my eureka moment here - since there seem to be others who have at least a passing

interest.

Did you check this site?

Made in Thailand............

http://images.google.nl/imgres?imgurl=http...hl%3Dnl%26lr%3D

Search a little, it's also in English

LaoPo

Interesting. Couldn't find the english version but I could see enough through this flemish/dutch/german ? to note that the price is about 90 euros for a hammock - which are also bigger and more colourful than I need. Clearly an export oriented factory. A humble thai hammock maker may not have a website searchable on google. But I will google around a bit more. Phrae seems to be a place worth visiting.....maybe one day I may pass by the factory and find a rejects on sale outside at knock down thai prices.....Don't want to wait for that. Lazing, reading, ipod-ding, et al......nowhere better than on a hammock.

Army shops??

Please elaborate. :o

Second that. My gf's response also was 'well you seem to be wanting soldier's hammock' but she had no idea where to find that.

Why not get one of those bamboo hammocks. They sell them all round the place. Only about 200 baht each and they are very strong and comfortable. Also a lot easier to get into and out of (in my case anyway)

What would one call these in thai? Does "all over" mean shops or open markets or ...? Pity you didn't post a pic of one - I hope you are recommending their comfort from actual experience rather than conjecture.

Anywhere they sell bamboo furniture, brooms, etc they will generally sell the hammocks. I usually find stalls set up on the roads around Ubon, Sisaket, any major provincial town. Also there are plenty at Chong Mek on the Lao side in the markets

Can someone please suggest where - near Korat, Pakchong, Khao Yai - I might find a hammock made of canvas or cotton fabric - or maybe even rope, if thick, soft, suitable? So far I've been offered only ones made of nylon or synthetic, prickly string.

Thanks

There are a couple of places that I know near Korat that sell hammocks one is on highway 304 past Pak Tong Chai If my memory serves me right if you were on the 304 heading North towards Pak Tong Chai it would be on the left hand side not long after the road becomes a dual carriageway, The other place is between Korat and Non Thai on highway 205 it’s on the left heading from Korat, both places have the hammocks on display near the road.

koratsteve & thaicoon, thanks a lot for those specific & conveniently located referrals. i assume those hammocks are not made of synthetic stuff, nylon etc - if you missed that bit please let me know so my journey is not futile.

The place I told you about south of Pak Tong Chai they are made of rope and are very good quality and have put with my 100 kilos for over a year, but it is not a natural rope I did buy one in Chantaburi once made from a natural rope and it was so irritating to the skin that I threw it away, please also note that it was over a year ago so there is a chance it might not still be there so best wait until you are passing rather that make a special trip.

The place near Non Thai which is only about 10 km north of Korat looks like they are made from that soft flat nylon rope which are usually blue and white, which are very comfortable but don’t last that long.

...The place near Non Thai which is only about 10 km north of Korat looks like they are made from that soft flat nylon rope which are usually blue and white, which are very comfortable but don’t last that long.

When you say, "don't last that long" I have an image in my head about the "net" result of Hammock Failure that is too funny yet painful to think of... :D:o:D:D

You can buy rope hammocks and other sorts at the tourist shops at Prasat Muang Tam, and Phanong Rung. bought one ages ago, still got it in the garden, last time i was there, they still had them for sale.

a frustrated foray at phanom ring yesterday when i took the stated 6pm closing time at face value and left it for after my visit to the temple. coming down at 5.30 realized shops generally closing down. eventually found the otop shop (no hammocks) but failed to find an open (official?) tourist shop - just some of the line of the tacky stuff shops.

ah well. must wait to be at one of the other suggested locations.

Take up a new hobby and make one.

as my pseudonym might have hinted, i am too indolent to take that on - and too diverted by other hobbies more to my taste.

• 4 weeks later...

I was driving from Sakon Nakhon today and stopped off at a village about 35ks from Trat Phanom on Route 223. Both sides of the road through the village is covered in bamboo products market. They had on sale there hammocks made from a rope type of fibre. The price was 130 baht.

Will test it out and see how it goes

I see that further up the thread somebody mentioned the crazy prices in Europe. If you are there for part of the year, one possibility is to buy one from the Lidl supermaket chain (though you have to wait for the periods when hammocks go on sale) These are made of heavy fabric, strengthened with rope, and aren't too expensive. I brought one to our Thai house and it is okay.

I was driving from Sakon Nakhon today and stopped off at a village about 35ks from Trat Phanom on Route 223. Both sides of the road through the village is covered in bamboo products market. They had on sale there hammocks made from a rope type of fibre. The price was 130 baht.

Will test it out and see how it goes

Stick a pic up pls Carl. :o

You can buy rope hammocks and other sorts at the tourist shops at Prasat Muang Tam, and Phanong Rung. bought one ages ago, still got it in the garden, last time i was there, they still had them for sale.

Not sure if it is seasonal, but for your info I was at Prasat Muang Tam a few weeks ago and there were no shops around. It was a weekday, not the weekend...

I see that further up the thread somebody mentioned the crazy prices in Europe. If you are there for part of the year, one possibility is to buy one from the Lidl supermaket chain (though you have to wait for the periods when hammocks go on sale) These are made of heavy fabric, strengthened with rope, and aren't too expensive. I brought one to our Thai house and it is okay.

What and where in Europe is "the Lidl supermarket chain"?

• 2 months later...
I guess you will not find anything of cotton - at least I never saw any.

But there are hammoks made of cloth. This are made of syntetic material as well, but much more comfortable than the others made of strings. You can find them on markets or in shops around markets. They are also used by the Thai army and you will find the best quality in army shops (finer cloth material and much better strings).

Regard

Thedi (a hammok fan)

Thedi would you happen to know the sort of place I would be able to buy a good quality hammock

in Bangkok ? :o