URGENT advice needed - denied visa exemption at Mae Sai

You've put yourself in a tight spot with limited funds and one page remaining in your passport. What seems to be the missing piece in your thinking and in the advice you have gotten is where you will get your new passport and how long it will take. If you fly out and in to receive a 30-day exempt entry, you will need to be confident that you can get a new passport during your 30 days in Thailand. If you can't, you will just face the same problem again. If I were you, I'd check with the British Embassy in Bangkok to see what is possible. If you can't get a new passport in Thailand within 30 days, it would be good to fly to Malaysia, get a new passport there and then fly back. I suggest that you avoid putting yourself in another tight spot facing another hasty exit without a new full passport.

Incidentally, there is a lot of confusion with the terminology regarding visas, extensions, exempt entries and ninety-day reports on Thai Visa. You must be careful when interpreting it. You now know that a "visa run" means going out for another visa-exempt entry. Many people insist that they are here on "retirement visas" when in fact they are here on retirement extensions. Misunderstandings trip up the unwary. Good luck.

• Like 1

You've put yourself in a tight spot with limited funds and one page remaining in your passport. What seems to be the missing piece in your thinking and in the advice you have gotten is where you will get your new passport and how long it will take. If you fly out and in to receive a 30-day exempt entry, you will need to be confident that you can get a new passport during your 30 days in Thailand. If you can't, you will just face the same problem again. If I were you, I'd check with the British Embassy in Bangkok to see what is possible. If you can't get a new passport in Thailand within 30 days, it would be good to fly to Malaysia, get a new passport there and then fly back. I suggest that you avoid putting yourself in another tight spot facing another hasty exit without a new full passport.

Incidentally, there is a lot of confusion with the terminology regarding visas, extensions, exempt entries and ninety-day reports on Thai Visa. You must be careful when interpreting it. You now know that a "visa run" means going out for another visa-exempt entry. Many people insist that they are here on "retirement visas" when in fact they are here on retirement extensions. Misunderstandings trip up the unwary. Good luck.

morning dogno1! i too am awake at this ungodly hour, still pouring over arrangements (have been since 6am yesterday morning!) trying to make the best of, as you quite rightly put it, a very tight spot....actually, replacing my passport has been at the forefront of my mind for months now and you're quite right also in appreciating the timing of when to get it replaced....which is precisely why (not wishing to ever be in this situation again), what i'm organising right this very second is not only a swift exit from thailand but, in fact, arranging to obtain another visa (not an exemption as i originally planned) in penang which, upon re-entering thailand, will give me 60 days to get the passport replaced without me having to worry that i'll need it in said 60 day period (since as soon as i apply, my existing passport will be cancelled); up to that point, yes, i had planned to contact the british embassy in both bangkok and vientiane (sadly, their unit in chiang mai closed in may this year) to ask of their requirements for an ETD to be issued....thank you, though, very much for mentioning it...couldn't agree more with you about misuse/misunderstanding, etc of visa terminology and the potential problems it can cause; i have a scientific background so i'm a complete stickler for jargon (and pertinently, the correct use thereof) and, up until yesterday, had complete faith in thai immigration to recognise likewise! obviously, i now appreciate their more expansive (and, to most foreigners, more accessible) use of the term 'visa run'! another one is 'visa extension' which actually is a complete misnomer as, with it, you extend your permission to stay and not your actual visa but the connotation of which to most people is lost...anyway, i need to push on, still have lots to organise to become legitimate again :) thanks so much again for your comments

• Like 1

I would go to Malaysia for a new passport.

I only had a few blank pages and had to go to Cambodia, so I know how it feels being stuck with little options.

Wouldn't worry about it too much.

Or you could apply for new passport from Cambodia.

If it takes longer than 30 days just pay the $5 per day overstay when you get it back.

Mine took 6 weeks when the hassle was going on, so it should be quicker now. And even at 2 weeks overstay will only cost $70 in fines.

If it takes longer than 30 days just pay the $5 per day overstay when you get it back.

Mine took 6 weeks when the hassle was going on, so it should be quicker now. And even at 2 weeks overstay will only cost $70 in fines.

hi finy, thanks so much for your helpful comments...i have, in fact, now decided to fly to malaysia (penang) and obtain a new visa and right now in the process of arranging the flights, visa application, etc...one of the reasons is because if i re-entered thailand with nothing more than a visa exemption, i'd have just 30 days to get my passport replaced which i was worried wasn't long enough so at least with a new visa, i'll have 60 days to arrange for a new passport which, hopefully, should be enough time (especially since the uk passport office in october/november shouldn't be as busy as they would be during the, ahem, british summer)....and if it seems like it's gonna be delayed, i'll enquire with the british embassy in bangkok about issuance of an ETD...but in good time! anyway, i best get on, thanks very much again for taking the time :)

hi finy, thanks so much for your helpful comments...i have, in fact, now decided to fly to malaysia (penang) and obtain a new visa and right now in the process of arranging the flights, visa application, etc...one of the reasons is because if i re-entered thailand with nothing more than a visa exemption, i'd have just 30 days to get my passport replaced which i was worried wasn't long enough so at least with a new visa, i'll have 60 days to arrange for a new passport which, hopefully, should be enough time (especially since the uk passport office in october/november shouldn't be as busy as they would be during the, ahem, british summer)....and if it seems like it's gonna be delayed, i'll enquire with the british embassy in bangkok about issuance of an ETD...but in good time! anyway, i best get on, thanks very much again for taking the time smile.png

Actually, since a visa exempt entry can be extended once for a further 30 days without leaving the country, you would have had 60 days if necessary.

I would travel back into Thailand overland with your new visa.

Heard too many horror stories about people being turned away at airport, and if you don't have any pages left you'll be on your way back to the UK.

At least if you get rejected at Mal/Thai border you can still live in Malaysia until you get new passport.

I just sent my passport to the embassy yesterday for additional pages. cost me 82 USD for blank pages.......who knows how long this will take. not in thailand, yet.

thailand is frustrating....but it's very hard to think of another place.

anyhow, i digress...

I had an American friend go for extra pages at his Consulate last week. She told me that they inserted the extra pages in less than an hour while she waited. They also informed her that extra pages will only be added to passports up until the end of the year. Following that, once a passport is filled, Americans will have to obtain a new passport, just like everyone else.

Dear wayfarer2015

I dont know what to tell you, except that I am shocked by your behavior since everyone who live in Chiang Mai, knows that more then one year visa on arrivalas, visa exceptions and visa runs ( which is same) is not possible!!!!

Only if you have normal visa ( tourist or any other kind) Now, if you didnt go before to immigration to extend, go now and let usknow what happend

i am in the same case as you , i have only 1 page left and i need to go mae sai in november

So you just suddenly woke up to the fact of 1 remaining page.Surely you should have got a new passport by now.

i have meeting at the embassy in december , and i no have the paper they want to see that why i need waiting my family to bring this to me , i got 1 free page and 2 page for some stamp

Wayfarer, I'm afraid I only skimmed your various posts - they are far too detailed and meandering. It seems you've decided to work as a 'digital nomad' (for which there is no visa). That's tolerated by immigration so long as you keep quiet about it and work independently & discreetly.

However, as an "experienced traveller" who thinks scientifically, you need to do the logical thing: get a new passport immediately. Your current passport is no longer valid as a travel document! You'll need to leave Thailand (Malaysia will issue you a 3-month visa on arrival, no charge) and apply for a new passport at the British Consulate (e.g. KL). There are direct flights from Chiang Mai to KL via Asia Air for under 2,000 baht.

It's more expensive than renewing in the UK and takes about 4 weeks. As you travel extensively, get the jumbo passport £111.

BTW, you obviously haven't adapted to Thai (or SE Asia) culture yet. Just because something is 'right' or 'logical' to us doesn't mean that it's applicable in Thailand. I coach and advise people who want to live here long-term and the hardest thing is to let go of your Western values and principles and morals and learn to go with the flow. If you want to piss in the wind then at least make sure that the wind is at your back!

• Like 1

morning dogno1! i too am awake at this ungodly hour, still pouring over arrangements (have been since 6am yesterday morning!) trying to make the best of, as you quite rightly put it, a very tight spot....actually, replacing my passport has been at the forefront of my mind for months now and you're quite right also in appreciating the timing of when to get it replaced....which is precisely why (not wishing to ever be in this situation again), what i'm organising right this very second is not only a swift exit from thailand but, in fact, arranging to obtain another visa (not an exemption as i originally planned) in penang which, upon re-entering thailand, will give me 60 days to get the passport replaced without me having to worry that i'll need it in said 60 day period (since as soon as i apply, my existing passport will be cancelled); up to that point, yes, i had planned to contact the british embassy in both bangkok and vientiane (sadly, their unit in chiang mai closed in may this year) to ask of their requirements for an ETD to be issued....thank you, though, very much for mentioning it...couldn't agree more with you about misuse/misunderstanding, etc of visa terminology and the potential problems it can cause; i have a scientific background so i'm a complete stickler for jargon (and pertinently, the correct use thereof) and, up until yesterday, had complete faith in thai immigration to recognise likewise! obviously, i now appreciate their more expansive (and, to most foreigners, more accessible) use of the term 'visa run'! another one is 'visa extension' which actually is a complete misnomer as, with it, you extend your permission to stay and not your actual visa but the connotation of which to most people is lost...anyway, i need to push on, still have lots to organise to become legitimate again smile.png thanks so much again for your comments

It seems you're planning on staying in Thailand a lot longer than you said in the OP otherwise a new passport wouldn't be necessary. If you do apply for a new passport in Bangkok you apply in person at:

UK Visa Application Centre

The Trendy Office Building,

28th Floor,

Sukhumvit Soi13

Bangkok

Email: [email protected]

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

• They say to allow 6 to 9 weeks for processing.
  • There are many reports from TV members getting new passports back in 2 to 4 weeks.

If you're getting a TR you'll have about 3 months with a single entry visa which should be more than enough time. If you're going to apply for a new passport you need to make an appointment and should do that asap.

When they put visa runs on the sign visa exempt entries is what they meant. That is what many people call them a visa.

You can do an out/in if you have a valid visa.

thanks, ubonjoe - yes, i realise that now even though what i understood to be the formal definition of a visa run didn't include a situation like my own whereby i was requesting an exemption (not a visa)...and, as i mentioned, they're still honouring unused entries (out/in) on an existing visa, just no more granting of visa exemptions irrespective of one's circumstances

Thats a bold statement to be posting on a public forum. You have evidence that abosolutley no travelers are being issued exemptions whether they are out/in's or not and the only way to enter there is with a visa?

Waah I am now worried I'll be going to Mae Sai soon to get an visa exempt coz I'm gonna cancel my ED visa and plan to have visa exempt until my Thai course is finish which is first week of November and and I cancel my ED visa this 20 of October ..so is it possible for me not to get an visa exempt in Mae Said border this my first time to go border never done this before..is there anyone can give me suggestion ..would it possible or not possible to get visa exempt in border of Mae Sai..? Thanks in advance .

Waah I am now worried I'll be going to Mae Sai soon to get an visa exempt coz I'm gonna cancel my ED visa and plan to have visa exempt until my Thai course is finish which is first week of November and and I cancel my ED visa this 20 of October ..so is it possible for me not to get an visa exempt in Mae Said border this my first time to go border never done this before..is there anyone can give me suggestion ..would it possible or not possible to get visa exempt in border of Mae Sai..? Thanks in advance .

You could try Mae Sai but the chances are slim they will allow you to leave. If you want to try give yourself some time to go to another crossing if denied.

It would be better going to Chiang Kong and crossing to Laos.

You could try Mae Sai but the chances are slim they will allow you to leave. If you want to try give yourself some time to go to another crossing if denied.

thank u very much for your reply.

if they denny us in maesai , we can go to chiang kong ; go and back ? or we need to stay 1 nite there ?

if they denny us in maesai , we can go to chiang kong ; go and back ? or we need to stay 1 nite there ?

They are allowing out/in exempt entries at the Lao borders. I have not seen a recent report for Chiang Kong but when Mae Sai was not allowing them they did.

Plus if I recall correctly you are on a visa now so you would not be doing a back to back exempt entry.

Yeah Ubon

i am on a non o extension yeah finish on 8 november and i need 30 day for make new 60 day extension before new visa in february in the new passport

You can renew the extension.

When does your passport expire?

When I did an extension last year it left 2 pages, they said you MUST get a new PP...So my thoughts are they will not extend with just one page..Sure Joe will clarify..

Yeah Ubon

i am on a non o extension yeah finish on 8 november and i need 30 day for make new 60 day extension before new visa in february in the new passport

When I did an extension last year it left 2 pages, they said you MUST get a new PP...So my thoughts are they will not extend with just one page..Sure Joe will clarify..

i make extension in september in cm and they say nothing

Yeah Ubon

If there is a usable page in the passport they will use it. The extension stamp only requires a half page.

Immigration were very good in reminding you of the need to obtain a new passport. Leaving such matters to the last minute is rarely a good idea.