URGENT advice needed - denied visa exemption at Mae Sai

Yeah Ubon

i am on a non o extension yeah finish on 8 november and i need 30 day for make new 60 day extension before new visa in february in the new passport

You can renew the extension.

When does your passport expire?

When I did an extension last year it left 2 pages, they said you MUST get a new PP...So my thoughts are they will not extend with just one page..Sure Joe will clarify..

If there is a usable page in the passport they will use it. The extension stamp only requires a half page.

Immigration were very good in reminding you of the need to obtain a new passport. Leaving such matters to the last minute is rarely a good idea.

I know how much of a page it takes but they told ME with two pages left to get a new PP. There was enough room for the following year BUT they were not happy about it..

I would travel back into Thailand overland with your new visa.

Heard too many horror stories about people being turned away at airport, and if you don't have any pages left you'll be on your way back to the UK.

At least if you get rejected at Mal/Thai border you can still live in Malaysia until you get new passport.

Nonsense

Their is a much greater chance of being turned away at a border crossing than at an airport.

I agree with you, but getting turned away at a border is safer if you want to remain in Asia.

Yeah Ubon

i am on a non o extension yeah finish on 8 november and i need 30 day for make new 60 day extension before new visa in february in the new passport

Only one 60 day extension can be done per entry.

If I recall correctly he cannot qualify for a year extension.

Yeah Ubon

Ubon with a 30 day exempt visa , i can apply for a 60 day entry for thai child right ?

Yeah Ubon

Ubon with a 30 day exempt visa , i can apply for a 60 day entry for thai child right ?

Yes you can another 60 day extension from a new visa exempt entry,

Sounds like the OP has been violating the intent and by his own admission several of the tenets of some of the visas he has received. I see work mentioned in the same sentence as tourist visas. He definitely is NOT a tourist, and his itineraries clearly show that. If his intent is to stay in Thailand legally and with a minimum of hassle, it seems like the Thai Elite Visa is a proper legal method. Having said that, what are the work provisions of the Elite Visa? Of course I assume one would need valid work permits for a normal Thai job, but would the Thai Visa be suitable for use with a work permit?

Sounds like the OP has been violating the intent and by his own admission several of the tenets of some of the visas he has received. I see work mentioned in the same sentence as tourist visas. He definitely is NOT a tourist, and his itineraries clearly show that. If his intent is to stay in Thailand legally and with a minimum of hassle, it seems like the Thai Elite Visa is a proper legal method. Having said that, what are the work provisions of the Elite Visa? Of course I assume one would need valid work permits for a normal Thai job, but would the Thai Visa be suitable for use with a work permit?

You cannot get a work permit with an Elite visa. You'd need a Non-'O' (marriage) or Non 'B'.

To the O/P:

I think you got all the advises you need in the replies.

To sum it up to you:

- What you did (exiting and re-entering from a land border) IS what it's commoly known as visa run (or border run).

- Your best option is to fly out of the Country (Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Macau, etc...) and re-enter fying back to Bangkok.

- This way you'll get 30 days.

- The may ask you to see proof of funds or a ticket that you are leaving the Country witing 30 days, they may be a little fussy, but you will get the 30 days.

I would refrain from trying land borders until you get your new passport.

After that, you'll have to renew your passport in the UK or in a Country that issues passports to British Nationals.

I'd suggest you apply for a 48 page passport next time, instead of 32.

Regards,

i just would like to know if the immigration officer, look at his passport or no ?

because me in 2015 no 30 days exemption only on non 0 visa and extension and 2014 only 1 entry 30 day at mae sai last november 2014

i think it' s case by case

Edited by thai006

whistling.gif Not that this point is particularly relevant to the long discussion. but the U.S. will stop the practice of adding pages to a U.S passport in 2016.

My passport was down to 6 months validity left in April 2015 so I renewed it in Bangkok in June and they issued me a 54 page passport then.

So I now have a new 54 page U.S. passport issued June 5 2015 and good for the next 10 years.

At my age it is possible the passport will be valid longer than I am.

OP, I am happy to hear that you are on top of things. Your plan to get a visa in Penang (beautiful place) sounds like a good one. When you return to Thailand with a 60-day visa, you may be able to extend it by 30 days if necessary to wait for your new passport. You're back in control with a good plan. Have a pleasant trip. smile.png I think that UbonJoe would know if there is any way to extend the 60-day visa even if your passport is technically canceled. Maybe he will respond in this thread. If not, you could send him a PM.

OP, I am happy to hear that you are on top of things. Your plan to get a visa in Penang (beautiful place) sounds like a good one. When you return to Thailand with a 60-day visa, you may be able to extend it by 30 days if necessary to wait for your new passport. You're back in control with a good plan. Have a pleasant trip. smile.png I think that UbonJoe would know if there is any way to extend the 60-day visa even if your passport is technically canceled. Maybe he will respond in this thread. If not, you could send him a PM.

He will be able to get a 30 day extension of the 60 day entry from the tourist visa. He can do it with his old passport after applying for a new one.

For about 25,500 baht, you can fly back to London, obtain a new passport in a day, send it to the Thai Embassy the next day and most likely get it back with a new tourist visa within 3-5 days. A lot simpler than tearing around SEA with only one page left in your passport. I don't understand why you just didn't apply for a new one weeks ago but neither do you it seems. First you said it was because applying for a new passport is a "nightmare", then you said it was too expensive - what's the real reason?

Edited by eaglesflight

Eaglesflight what plane are you on. The OP needs it quick. Your getting him return to UK for 25k???

Not to mention time etc. Better options available.

Plane to the UK takes 12-13 hours - that's quick enough isn't it? Somebody else suggested spending a few weeks in Cambodia - a few days in the UK would be much quicker. At least he will get a fresh passport (for around half the price of applying for one from Thailand) and should find it easy to get the visa he needs. He can book the flight and be out of the country by tomorrow. Not really sure what your problem with my solution is? The cost of the ticket has nothing to do with the speed of the solution. (Plus, it's only about £460)

Edited by eaglesflight
  • Like 2

Find a visa agent to resolve the problem.....

That is what they do .....resolve the sort of problem you currently have.

Cheers

If he was, say, in KL, your advice (while still controversial) would make sense. He is in Thailand and not at a border. He is (actually was) looking for advice on how to resolve the problem. Several posters on this board know as much as any visa agent about his options, and visa agents have their offices near Thai consulates. I do not think it makes sense, say, to travel to Phnom Penh to ask the advice of a visa agent. You may have meant an immigration lawyer. In that case, it is an option worth considering for someone who is wealthy, but not otherwise.

• Like 1

You could get funky with this and leave the passport out in the sun whereby a sticker from another country you dont plan on returning to might peel off this freeing up a page. Sometimes they dont even stamp on the edge which would leave a half stamp on the page which would be pretty obvious.

You could even try to put the peeled off sticker back in the passport so as to not lose it and over another old visa sticker and if you carried it in the rain it may perhaps become adhered there somehow. Thus you still have the sticker with faulty glue if questioned, so legally it's not removed or fraudulent, just the result of some inept immigration official somewhere trying to save money on staples or glue, or just inept.

And claim that current immigration has no jurisdiction over another countries sticker or ability to interpret what is legal with regard to a foreign missing visa sticker, as long as it's a really old sticker and your not in transit to or from that country now.

But since no reason has to be given they could still deny their own visa in any case.

You would also run the risk of returning home to your home country and them finding a stamp and sticker discrepancy which could have a greater legal ramification if by some chance they traced a fingerprint on the back of your faulty visa sticker in the glue.

They do seem to like fondling the book for longer then necessary in my experience.

I ran out of pages in vietnam. A trip to the us embassy for additional pages was done in a day for $80. They take pretty good care of their citizens so I was not worried about getting stranded at all or being locked up.

Edited by fey