Minister Kobkarn: Thailand needs to focus on quantity of tourism

webfact

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minister Kobkarn has been on the TV a lot recently, in some promotional segments. Judging by her demeanor, I would say tourism is not going well this year. It's easy to see why.

Despite the manic, repetitive projection of 28 million or 30 million tourists, the slide toward shorter visits by organized Chinese tour groups is well documented. That means the revenue per tourist visit is way down. This is the reason the news items that mention revenue always mix together foreign and internal tourist revenues; internal "tourist" revenues are the filler for the shortfall in "real" Baht added to the economy by foreign visitors.

Now TAT is trying to figure out how to get the Chinese to stay longer and drop a few more Baht. My prediction is "absolutely nothing you can do in the short term". 2015 is baked in, for good or bad.

Now some strategic perspective.

The Per Capita GDP (parity purchasing power basis, USD) is

Thailand 14,354

China 12,880

Korea 35,277

Japan 37,390

UK 39,311

The only thing in "favor" of the Chinese is that a very small middle class still translates into a heck of a lot of people. Otherwise, it is a country POORER than Thailand, on average.

They should loosen up the visa exempt restrictions for a start.

I seem to remember getting stamped into the US for 90 days every time I went there in the past. I've been there many times.

No visa, no hassle, no fuss, no stupid trips to immigration for extensions, just 90 days straight off the plane and out into the city.

Quality tourists is just insulting. Typical Thailand. If a tourist brings money to this backwater crime/corruption filled cesspit this broad has some balls to make a distinction between quality or not. Everyone knows she is referring to the Chinese and subtly insulting western tourists. Problem starts with her, she should go back to Toshiba since she knows jack about public relations.

"Please stay longer and spend more, but don't waste so much water while you're here."

Is that in essence what she's saying?

I was on the sky train last week, along with a bunch of Chinese tourists , according to the smell, they didn't shower for a while, so maybe they where already told not to use too much water.

Edited by ikke

"She also pointed out that part of the strategy would involve urging those in the tourism sector to conserve water as well as asking tourists to do, so given that Thailand has been facing water shortage crises".

Come to Thailand and be told you can only take one or two showers a week because the water's off. Yeah, I'm sure that'll do it.

Oh, and BTW, there'll be a water usage surcharge on your hotel bill.

Her blinding naivety and stunning incompetence is equalled by almost every other member of the junta. So why are we wasting our time and energy making comments?! Time will judge this authoritarian cabal for ther inability to run a country. There are many more choices for tourists looking for Asian culture and enjoyment. Thailand is past it's sell by date and no longer has what many travellers want. Decline is inevitable.

Three years ago a Dutch University invented a machine to turn seawater to drinking water.
There are three companies which produce these machines. I believe you can go check in Singapore, because there they are already working..
So if you have enough seawater, you can have enough drinking water, but you have to invest (wrong word)

About this topic. Put the horse behind the carriageists

You want more tourists, but you don't have enough resorts / hotels.
How you handle the Chinese tourists is like cattle.

They are important, but develop a city for Chinese tourists. Chinatown at the beach.

In this case Thai companies has to invest (wrong word again) , because at this moment Thailand has not enough resorts for the Chinese and many Hotels don't want to accept the Chinese groups.

So invest and i have rather 10 million tourists which spend US$ 1.000 than 30 million which spend 200 US$. Take your calculator.

But the Thai ministers like to joke and that keep us laughing, because they don't mean this serious..........i think

Don't use the knowledge from farang entrepeneurs !

Thais want quality? dont make me laugh. thais like quantity, stuff you can count with numbers. . what happen when you rip off tourist with money? They dont come back.

In a restaurant there are 2 types of customers, When you go to a restaurant and have terrible service you either

1. complain. and maybe comeback to see if your complaint worked.

2. stay quiet and never come back. But tell all your friends.

Yes, blame the tourist.

yes, blame the government.

but under no circumstances blame the schemie Thai business that thais let go out of control ripping off normal people. .. ... its diffidently the tourist fault for being crappy tourist.

Three years ago a Dutch University invented a machine to turn seawater to drinking water.

There are three companies which produce these machines. I believe you can go check in Singapore, because there they are already working..

So if you have enough seawater, you can have enough drinking water, but you have to invest (wrong word)

About this topic. Put the horse behind the carriageists

You want more tourists, but you don't have enough resorts / hotels.

How you handle the Chinese tourists is like cattle.

They are important, but develop a city for Chinese tourists. Chinatown at the beach.

In this case Thai companies has to invest (wrong word again) , because at this moment Thailand has not enough resorts for the Chinese and many Hotels don't want to accept the Chinese groups.

So invest and i have rather 10 million tourists which spend US$ 1.000 than 30 million which spend 200 US$. Take your calculator.

But the Thai ministers like to joke and that keep us laughing, because they don't mean this serious..........i think

Don't use the knowledge from farang entrepeneurs !

Sorry buddy, the chinese already spent most of their money on the tour package in china. so they dont really spend much. plus, to a chinese person having a thai tour guide is like thais having a burmese leading. CHinese dont like to mingle with slaves. Why the hell would they want to give you a single penny? Why focus on chinese tourist is the question. they think their money is better than human life. oh ... thats right. thats thailands philosophy too.

Her blinding naivety and stunning incompetence is equalled by almost every other member of the junta. So why are we wasting our time and energy making comments?! Time will judge this authoritarian cabal for ther inability to run a country. There are many more choices for tourists looking for Asian culture and enjoyment. Thailand is past it's sell by date and no longer has what many travellers want. Decline is inevitable.

Because her stunning incompetence and blinding naivety is only equaled by posters who waste time posting about her stunning incompetence and blinding naivety.

"The Minister said the move would help generate income for locals through the sales of native products."

My lateral thinking is that the natives are selling themselves? whistling.gif Or are my powers of observation askew?

I think she means more like handicraft items like this lady is selling stuffed animals. They look pretty. I'm sure she is a success.

post-232807-0-30763200-1444058887_thumb.

They should loosen up the visa exempt restrictions for a start.

I seem to remember getting stamped into the US for 90 days every time I went there in the past. I've been there many times.

No visa, no hassle, no fuss, no stupid trips to immigration for extensions, just 90 days straight off the plane and out into the city.

If they took the visa runners out of the numbers the arrivals would only be 20mn.....

Easy way to increase tourism.

1. Stop tourists from dying here, whether on the roads (Article Today) or mysteriously ending up dead from suicide.

2. Stop ripping off the tourists. (Article Today)

3. Stop the Police from harrasing tourists & trying to extort money.

4. Ensure that attractions are safe,staffed & maintained by qualified people.

This is just a small list in the many things that need to be fixed & maybe, just maybe the tourists will start coming back in numbers. But maybe they will have already found somewhere nicer to go.

Needs to wake up and train the staff at the immigaration points of entry

This has become a global crisis for Thailand and the falangs are posting all over the net about bad experiences. I mean how can a man or a woman spend money here when there not able to easily enter

Just makes no sense right. The probelems always start at the front Lines.

Because her stunning incompetence and blinding naivety is only equaled by posters who waste time posting about her stunning incompetence and blinding naivety.

"... her stunning incompetence and blinding naivety..." does not lead her or any other tourism authorities to read this forum or any other media to find out what tourists think or want! No research into tourism is the way of the Ostrich (with head in sand). Ostrich = Kobkarn? whistling.gif

Seems to be a Thai trait - not wanting to learn from more successful people anywhere in the world. Promotion without research is a waste of time and money. But, I guess, do not understand "thainess".

I understand what Singapore has done in 50 years that Thailand cannot do in 100s of years! blink.png

"Minister Kobkarn: Thailand needs to focus......"

is the reality! Not just about tourism!

The way for Thailand to transform to a modern state is to stop talking and get started. Transformation is not just about ideals. It's about shifting dialogue to effective action to deliver positive impact. Transformation is about getting real and doing it!

It is not about the military retaining overall control, which is what any new charter will provide for, but about giving Thai peoples the right to choose their own destiny, but without violence in street protests. Better education is one of the key factors etc etc.

Slightly off topic towards the end here but I could not help it when viewing Kobkarn's statement with a different interpretation.

"... her stunning incompetence and blinding naivety..." does not lead her or any other tourism authorities to read this forum or any other media to find out what tourists think or want! No research into tourism is the way of the Ostrich (with head in sand). Ostrich = Kobkarn? whistling.gif

Seems to be a Thai trait - not wanting to learn from more successful people anywhere in the world. Promotion without research is a waste of time and money. But, I guess, do not understand "thainess".

I understand what Singapore has done in 50 years that Thailand cannot do in 100s of years! blink.png

You do know she and Hillary Clinton went to the same school?

Define "school". School of thought or what? blink.png

Define "school". School of thought or what? blink.png

University