Toyota predicts Thai car sales to be low

webfact

1 hour ago, anotheruser said:

How many cars will come off the roads in comparison to new ones being put on the road? Because we all know this country doesn't need more cars on the road.

There are about 10 million cars in Thailand, the UK has a population about the same but has 34 million cars, and Thailand is a bit bigger.  The number of cars on the roads is not as much of a problem as the state of the roads.

3 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

My mistake you are absolutely right. I just now glanced outside from my balcony and what I saw confirms there are way too few cars on the roads. This was taken just now.

IMG_1089.JPG

Your mistake, you completely ignored what they said about building more highways, widening roads and improving infrastructure and instead chose to pretend that they had implied that there are too few cars on the roads, quite a silly mistake.

Just now, Shawn0000 said:

There are about 10 million cars in Thailand, the UK has a population about the same but has 34 million cars, and Thailand is a bit bigger.  The number of cars on the roads is not as much of a problem as the state of the roads.

Well it is still a problem. There are too many cars for the roads they have. Also they way they drive makes a difference. We can think in circles but we all know the state of traffic in Thailand that isn't even in dispute. 

Japan is smaller than Thailand and has way more people and you do not get traffic jams on these levels  at all.  When it takes 1 and a half hours to go three miles in Bangkok there are too many cars on the road.

13 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Well it is still a problem. There are too many cars for the roads they have. Also they way they drive makes a difference. We can think in circles but we all know the state of traffic in Thailand that isn't even in dispute. 

Japan is smaller than Thailand and has way more people and you do not get traffic jams on these levels  at all.  When it takes 1 and a half hours to go three miles in Bangkok there are too many cars on the road.

Bangkok is one city and there is nowhere else with traffic like it in Thailand, you didn't say people in Bangkok should stop going to work in their car and instead use one of the many forms of public transport available, you said there are too many cars on Thai roads.  There is a massive fatality rate on Thai roads, mainly due to so many people using motorbikes, there are too many motorbikes on Thai roads, more people need to be switch to cars and they need to invest in infrastructure to suit.

1 hour ago, Shawn0000 said:

Bangkok is one city and there is nowhere else with traffic like it in Thailand, you didn't say people in Bangkok should stop going to work in their car and instead use one of the many forms of public transport available, you said there are too many cars on Thai roads.  There is a massive fatality rate on Thai roads, mainly due to so many people using motorbikes, there are too many motorbikes on Thai roads, more people need to be switch to cars and they need to invest in infrastructure to suit.

There are traffic problems in other places in Thailand. Pattaya is choked, CM as well. Even in some smaller places like Ubon the traffic situation isn't pretty. 

Is it your contention that increased sales of cars is a good thing? I don't see your point.

Edited by anotheruser

8 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

There are traffic problems in other places in Thailand. Pattaya is choked, CM as well. Even in some smaller places like Ubon the traffic situation isn't pretty. 

Is it your contention that increased sales of cars is a good thing? I don't see your point.

Of course it is a good thing, it is good for Thai manufacturing and it is good for the Thai economy.  You might be happy to see things stagnate, 20,000 people a year die on motorcycles, but I am not, I want to see progress.

Of course it is a good thing, it is good for Thai manufacturing and it is good for the Thai economy.  You might be happy to see things stagnate, 20,000 people a year die on motorcycles, but I am not, I want to see progress.

Horrible for the environment but sure low paying factory jobs are needed. Anyway the article is sales figures are down and I happen to think that isn't a bad thing. Right now the infrastructure isn't there for increased amounts of road traffic and it doesn't take a genius in urban planning to know the roads are full.

1 minute ago, anotheruser said:

Horrible for the environment but sure low paying factory jobs are needed. Anyway the article is sales figures are down and I happen to think that isn't a bad thing. Right now the infrastructure isn't there for increased amounts of road traffic and it doesn't take a genius in urban planning to know the roads are full.

Two stoke motorbikes are horrible for the environment.  We have seen recent substantial foreign investment in car manufacturing and I have to explain to you why them actually also selling the cars is a good thing, really?

Two stoke motorbikes are horrible for the environment.  We have seen recent substantial foreign investment in car manufacturing and I have to explain to you why them actually also selling the cars is a good thing, really?

The traffic levels are already at a point where most even mid sized Thai cities are unlivable and ... you win.

I hope there are 70 million cars on the road in ten years along with 100 million tourists annually. 

5 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

The traffic levels are already at a point where most even mid sized Thai cities are unlivable and ... you win.

I hope there are 70 million cars on the road in ten years along with 100 million tourists annually. 

Except they are not, only a few cities have a big problem with congestion, most of them easily solved with a ring road.  To suggest halting the increase of cars, instead retaining the ridiculous level of motorbikes, out of apparent belief that Thailand cannot progress and build better roads, is sad.  Things are getting better every day, there are massive new road networks underway, there are new mass transport systems currently being built and new train lines about to be laid.  In the meantime, if the new car factories do not sell the cars they will not be reinvesting, there will be further stagnation of the economy, further increases of unemployment and nothing will progress.  It takes revenue to have money to spend on the infrastructure.

2 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Except they are not, only a few cities have a big problem with congestion, most of them easily solved with a ring road.  To suggest halting the increase of cars, instead retaining the ridiculous level of motorbikes, out of apparent belief that Thailand cannot progress and build better roads, is sad.  Things are getting better every day, there are massive new road networks underway, there are new mass transport systems currently being built and new train lines about to be laid.  In the meantime, if the new car factories do not sell the cars they will not be reinvesting, there will be further stagnation of the economy, further increases of unemployment and nothing will progress.  It takes revenue to have money to spend on the infrastructure.

Okay you just don't get it. Even Ubon with a ring road is running into problems. I do not think you represent the majority in your view that Thailand needs more cars on the road. There are only a few cities in Thailand

We can agree to disagree.

Edited by anotheruser

7 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Okay you just don't get it. Even Ubon with a ring road is running into problems. I do not think you represent the majority in your view that Thailand needs more cars on the road. There are only a few cities in Thailand

We can agree to disagree.

I get something that you don't, it takes the cars to get the roads sorted, it happens that way round the world over, no one builds roads thinking one day there may be cars to use them, they try to sell cars and then they make roads to fit them, at present we have roads to fit the bikes, that needs to change to stop the carnage.  There are 32 cities in Thailand, how many have a serious congestion problem?  I travel a lot and I do not encounter these problems you speak of, one of the places I have to regularly go to is Bangkok Yai where everything is moving fine outside of rush hour. I pass through the second biggest city all the time, Korat, not an issue if you take the ring road.  Khon kaen is bad if you don't know where to go, but their ring road is not functioning and that is the cause.  Never been to Ubon, bit of a funny little example really, is that where you live?

3 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

I get something that you don't, it takes the cars to get the roads sorted, it happens that way round the world over, no one builds roads thinking one day there may be cars to use them, they try to sell cars and then they make roads to fit them, at present we have roads to fit the bikes, that needs to change to stop the carnage.  There are 32 cities in Thailand, how many have a serious congestion problem?  I travel a lot and I do not encounter these problems you speak of, one of the places I have to regularly go to is Bangkok Yai where everything is moving fine outside of rush hour. I pass through the second biggest city all the time, Korat, not an issue if you take the ring road.  Khon kaen is bad if you don't know where to go, but their ring road is not functioning and that is the cause.  Never been to Ubon, bit of a funny little example really, is that where you live?

No, I live in Bangkok where the pic was taken.

2 hours ago, anotheruser said:

The number of cars on the roads is not as much of a problem as the state of the roads.

Got that wrong mate as cars = Thai Driving which is a killer

On 1/13/2017 at 6:35 PM, Shawn0000 said:

Your mistake, you completely ignored what they said about building more highways, widening roads and improving infrastructure and instead chose to pretend that they had implied that there are too few cars on the roads, quite a silly mistake.

Just as I suspected. A farang living in central Bangkok in a high-rise that thinks he knows everything about Thailand and that his little bubble in central Bangkok is an accurate example of Thailand as a whole.

Give us a break!

Also, your comparison to Japan is hilarious! Yes Japan is a smaller country with more people and fewer cars but these are two entirely different countries with different history, different government, different set of rules. For starters, Japan has rules that are enforced, accountability and a cooperative society. The infrastructure in Japan is world class and has been so since after World War II. 

Thailand is a developing nation and nowhere close to Japan in terms of development.

I agree that Thailand needs to build more railways, metro lines in Bangkok but still needs a few more highways - including an inner-ring road that would relieve a lot of the traffic you show in your photo.

Lowering the car tax to a reasonable rate of 5% as I suggested would bring the cost of all cars down - including old and seconds hand cars. Many would be sold to poor people that live out in the country. Some would go directly to the junk yard and sold for spare parts to the poor people that need them to keep their old cars running. 

You'll have fewer motorcycle deaths and car companies would be able to sell more cars and the older cars would go to those who need them - the ones who can't afford to live in central Bangkok with public transportation like you do.  

On 13/01/2017 at 9:41 PM, CGW said:

There is an article in the Bangkok post today saying Honda are increasing production as they expect car sales to rise :shock1:

Somebodies telling porkies again!  :spamsign:

I don't know where the Post got it's information from but it is a direct contradiction with an article in the Nikkei Asia Review which states exactly the opposite. Honda are in fact cutting production of motor vehicles.

Honda have three production plants in Thailand and are about to mothball one of them. In addition these plants which are able to operate on a two shift basis (day and night) have been working for some time now on a day shift only working day. See....

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Honda-idles-Thai-auto-capacity-amid-weak-sales

Edited by Toknarok
sp

On 10/10/2015 at 9:23 AM, farangmick said:

May be wrong, I often am, but I thought only the retro Triumphs were built here. If you have a Speed Triple as your name suggests,(lucky man), wasn't that built at Meriden? And until quite recently the Thai Triumph factories here were bonded, so the company saved on some Thai taxes, but even bikes built here were treated as imports.

I just bought a triumph, they are now assembled in chon buri so the tax has been cut right down,the bike I bought is around the same price as it retails for in the uk, just the exchange rate is low for the £ at the moment so makes it a tad more expensive. 

On 10/6/2015 at 7:58 AM, speedtripler said:

A new triumph motorcycle costs a multiple here of what it is worth..... Gtf0

The triumph range of twins made in Thailand have all received a new tax deal and are all very competitively priced.. Similar to UK and cheaper than many euro countries now. 

Whats its 'worth' is of course up to you. 

On 1/13/2017 at 8:52 PM, Shawn0000 said:

Except they are not, only a few cities have a big problem with congestion, most of them easily solved with a ring road.  To suggest halting the increase of cars, instead retaining the ridiculous level of motorbikes, out of apparent belief that Thailand cannot progress and build better roads, is sad.  Things are getting better every day, there are massive new road networks underway, there are new mass transport systems currently being built and new train lines about to be laid.

I live in Chaing Mai.. We have 3 ring roads.. They are building 4 lane roads all over the place.. Underpasses to reduce junctions.. And its still gridlock, I avoid going into the city in my truck as it takes an hour in and an hour out to do a few miles.. 

The simple basic unarguable fact is theres too many vehicles for the road network they have. Combine that with poor driving standards and badly designed junction systems and its a serious negative to an otherwise great place. 

1 hour ago, lee68 said:

I just bought a triumph, they are now assembled in chon buri so the tax has been cut right down,the bike I bought is around the same price as it retails for in the uk, just the exchange rate is low for the £ at the moment so makes it a tad more expensive. 

They have been made in chonburi for a very long time.. There was a lot of snark on the triumphrat forums about the made in England branding they kept using long after bikes were wholly or in large part made in chonburi. 

The issue for us here was to achieve cheap export volume they incorporated in a BOI zone with a deal where bikes imported to Thailand were then 'imports' as they were from the bonded side. But either the BOI deal expired or they managed to renegotiate it as ducati were outselling them many to one due to price setups that were purely tax based. 

I too like the triumph twins for here.. Some really nice ones around chiang mai. 

On 1/7/2017 at 7:41 AM, overherebc said:

But then people of lower class would be able to buy a car the same as the HISO family so how could you tell them apart when the car is being driven down the road.

you  cant  as  they  both  drive like  crap, real  hi  so's  dont  stop  for  the  police  either  they  just  drag em under  the  car as a  pesky inconvenence

Boring new Toyota models? Just bought a Sienta. Superb 3-seater car. Very versatile and great to drive. Nothing wrong with it except that nationalistic Thais won't touch it when they find out it's made by brown-skinned Indonesians. But I agree: overall, the range of cars available to buy in Thailand is tiny because it's restricted to what the (mainly Japanese) manufacturers make here since imports from outside ASEAN are so heavily taxed.

I've just checked their website but no discounts being offered. 

A drop in sales usually triggers promotions and discounts. 

Haven't seen anything advertised around town either.