No thaw in Thai-US relations without full democracy

webfact

No such thing as 'Democracy'.(mob rule)....Amerika has a REPRESENTATIVE govt. that represents Wall Street, the thousands of lobbyists over on "K" st.in D.C. but ignores the voice of the people.(Proles) The 'free' press is severely controlled by elitists; only the Internet has the potential to disseminate factual info....and McLuhan was only half right; "the Medium is the Message", but the message is spun to the extent that nothing can be vetted as real-it is a Kafkaesque reality.....so people, in despair of attaining an accurate fix on the truth, choose their POV by resorting to their own personal toilet training constraints....anal or oral, paper or plastic; your choice, sheeple.

Thailand is a working anachronism-Thais do not understand modern 'democracies' and vice versa. So it is a good thing and safe that most Thais keep their naivete and sense of humor in a world that is passing them by....China will continue its 'soft' hegemony in S.E. Asia...despite the emerging T.P.P.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"If the Prayut regime wants to improve relations with the US, there is only one way: restore democracy soon. As long as elections continue to be postponed and freedom of expression and assembly remain restricted, the US is correct to maintain pressure while keeping its distance."

Nothing to add, I can't improve upon the above.

If they hold elections, the bombings, shootings, demonstrations will start again in BKK.

The corruption will continue and many folks will sell their vote for 500 baht.

Is that what the US call "democratic"? Then they should read the dictionary first.

If it's the choice of the people, then yes it is democratic. It's then up to the opposing parties to get themselves voted in and the offending govt voted out. It isn't democratic to say "In my opinion this govt is no good therefore I'm going to assume power by threat of force".

By the way, the bombings and shootings only occurred because it was instigated by the violent protests by the Suthep's mob with the backing of the military and the rich and powerful. THAT is not democracy.

Democracy is not only voting, its playing by democratic rules too. That means no armed violent wing, no voting for other people (and denying it even when its caught on tape), means no secret votes after having send the opposition away. Half a democracy is no democracy.

" Half a democracy is no democracy."

That's like saying it's only half an orange so it's no orange. At least half a democracy can evolve into a full democracy. Junta rule can not.

Selfish hey Robb...

'Yes I care for my own safety, I don't like red terrorists in BKK. Sorry maybe you would like them in your location. You sound selfish too not caring about loss of life and the problems of BKK because of those red terrorists'

The the rights of you, a foreigner is more important than the thoughts and rights of the vast majority of the native population to express and live in democracy, rich that and not at all selfish.....

'half a democracy is no democracy' I reckon it is a damn sight closer than the present lot with their blatant block of free speech and any kind of dissent

"If the Prayut regime wants to improve relations with the US, there is only one way: restore democracy soon. As long as elections continue to be postponed and freedom of expression and assembly remain restricted, the US is correct to maintain pressure while keeping its distance."

If they hold elections, the bombings, shootings, demonstrations will start again in BKK.

Is that what the US call "democratic"? Then they should read the dictionary first.

No democracy is perfect. But it's better than the alternatives. The US knows full well what democracy is and what's going on here.

As far as relations improving, there are laws the US has to abide by when a coup happens. No choice but to abide by them. The EU is doing the same thing.

I prefer this safe and undemocratic government over the crooks that were here before. The shootings and bombings that were not solved until the army stepped in and shown it were the red shirts who were the lap dogs of the government. A government with a extremely violent wing that cheered over deaths of opponents on stage with high government representatives there.

That does not sound good at all, on the other hand I don't like how the current government wants a single internet gateway and some other stupid plans. But so far this government is doing something else instead of bringing a convicted criminal back and in doing so making violence come back to Thailand (the amnesty is what set it all off) So one can see the priorities of the PTP.

Anyway for now I prefer the junta.. if the make many more stupid plans I might dislike them as much as the PTP. For now they are the least of 2 evils.

Its a shame that people like Obama can't see that there was no real democracy before, because in a real democracy governments play by the rules and don't have an armed violent wing.

Robb do you ever think why people are seemingly driven to violence? Could it be the fact that time after time machinations work against what people want and try and install someething that they dont want. The fact that there had been a dozen coups and still mass corruption prior to Thaksin even becoming to PM should tell you all you need to know with regards the liklihood of any desire to meaningfully reform or halt corrupton. How many prosecutions or reforms have been implemented in 18 months so far? What corruption has been unearthed and stopped? Which bodies badly in need of change have even been touched?

Robb do you ever think why people are seemingly driven to violence? Could it be the fact that time after time machinations work against what people want and try and install someething that they dont want. The fact that there had been a dozen coups and still mass corruption prior to Thaksin even becoming to PM should tell you all you need to know with regards the liklihood of any desire to meaningfully reform or halt corrupton. How many prosecutions or reforms have been implemented in 18 months so far? What corruption has been unearthed and stopped? Which bodies badly in need of change have even been touched?

None of that matters mate Robbs right to feel safe in Bangkok is much more important...

Pretty tough editorial from the usually compliant Nation. Perhaps a mix of an economy in the toilet and the junta managing to take something as simple as a handshake and fumbling to make themselves look utterly absurd yet again hasn't gone down too well with some people.

I think you are right. The statement made by Thai PM that the US support his progress seems to be completely untrue. I am sure the US President does not want to have any detailed dialogue with the Thai PM as he does not see him as an elected leader.

A new, civilian elected Government is the only thing that will do, as so clearly stated in this news article.

I am sure the Thai people already know this. Prayuth has to accept he cannot hold onto power forever, he is just a caretaker until democracy is restored.

Democracy is not only voting, its playing by democratic rules too. That means no armed violent wing, no voting for other people (and denying it even when its caught on tape), means no secret votes after having send the opposition away. Half a democracy is no democracy.

That's like saying it's only half an orange so it's no orange. At least half a democracy can evolve into a full democracy. Junta rule can not.

Half a democracy is perhaps the wrong expression. The previous government were democratically elected. The process was the process laid down by law, enforced by the EC and the result was expressed in parliamentary terms according to the rules. Arguably, there were some dubious practices, but that is seemingly the accepted norm.

However, once elected PTP did not continue to act democratically. Power was handed over to the party owner, a non elected criminal fugitive, who paid all MP's a separate salary, selected the cabinet and dictated policy. PTP, even with an absolute majority, cheated parliamentary procedure, lied repeatedly, followed self interests and ignored the judiciary, laws and public opinion when it suited. Their main purpose was to create an amnesty whitewash for their boss which led to their eventual downfall.

Most, if not all, Westerners who post here would prefer a democratically elected government, that operated within the law, with honesty and followed democratic principles. That doesn't seem possible in Thailand which sadly is riddled with corruption from top to bottom, where lying and cheating are considered normal behavior and where there is a top layer of incredibly wealthy elites controlling everything, placing themselves above the law, and refusing to allow evolution.

We, in the West, have not had the experience of numerous military coups. But neither have we had experience of an openly dishonest government, lying and cheating, and controlled by a criminal who pays them a wage to do his bidding.

I doubt that any democratically elected government, whatever the process, controlled by the Shins, would ever evolve into real democracy or abide by laws and govern honestly with accountability. So far, all Shin regimes have been the opposite.

No democracy is perfect. But it's better than the alternatives. The US knows full well what democracy is and what's going on here.

As far as relations improving, there are laws the US has to abide by when a coup happens. No choice but to abide by them. The EU is doing the same thing.

I prefer this safe and undemocratic government over the crooks that were here before. The shootings and bombings that were not solved until the army stepped in and shown it were the red shirts who were the lap dogs of the government. A government with a extremely violent wing that cheered over deaths of opponents on stage with high government representatives there.

That does not sound good at all, on the other hand I don't like how the current government wants a single internet gateway and some other stupid plans. But so far this government is doing something else instead of bringing a convicted criminal back and in doing so making violence come back to Thailand (the amnesty is what set it all off) So one can see the priorities of the PTP.

Anyway for now I prefer the junta.. if the make many more stupid plans I might dislike them as much as the PTP. For now they are the least of 2 evils.

Its a shame that people like Obama can't see that there was no real democracy before, because in a real democracy governments play by the rules and don't have an armed violent wing.

As though the present government doesn't have an armed violent wing!

Some are speculating that unless there is a humiliating withdrawal the proposed single internet gateway will be the equivalent of the last government's ill advised umbrella amnesty.I doubt it but the proverbial worm seems to be turning eg the venomous attack on the government's gateway policy in the Bangkok Post today.

ISIS and other terrorist organizations make that argument too.

The Shins organized their own private militia and controlled the police. Possibly some will see that as a counter balance to the military which supports the establishment. But, once you legitimize a terrorist organization you invite the devil to dinner. Ask the Israelis.

Some are speculating that unless there is a humiliating withdrawal the proposed single internet gateway will be the equivalent of the last government's ill advised umbrella amnesty.I doubt it but the proverbial worm seems to be turning eg the venomous attack on the government's gateway policy in the Bangkok Post today.

Not sure this would have the same consequences as the amnesty for Thaksin bill. More similar to when PTP's police announced people who "liked" a social media post that criticized the government would be prosecuted under the Computer Crimes Act.

Hastily withdrawn.

The United States can continue to spout Democracy but it is hypocritical. Egypt threw out an elected government but the US decided that was fine because the government they threw out was allied with the Moslem Brotherhood -an enemy of the West. The US still keeps Guantanamo open - a semi concentration camp ,located in a foreign country that is often criticized for its human rights abuses, The US police forces continue to abuse people of color and often shoot them dead when non lethal force would suffice. American prisons hold more people than any other in the World, mostly on drug charges instead of decriminalizing it and providing funding for treatment.

One of the posters pointed out the democracy in the US is based upon how much money the candidates can raise or accumulate and how beholden they become to special interests. Nothing is ever done for the poor; and the American middle class is slowly becoming the poor. America is slipping into Third World status. Is this really the 'democracy' that any other country wants to emulate? Thailand needs to develop its own brand of Democracy and not listed to countries like the United States or others where their brand of Democracy will eventually lead to failed states. Western politicians are only interested in keeping themselves in power as long as possible and assisting their capitalistic minions to continue to steal from the masses.

I prefer this safe and undemocratic government over the crooks that were here before.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

Benjamin Franklin, Memoirs of the life & writings of Benjamin Franklin

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/289513.Benjamin_Franklin

And if they don't? Military rule forever? No country which can call itself progressive, let alone democratic, has the freedoms it has now without them having been fought for in the past. Or do you seriously believe keeping this country the theme park/plaything income generator of the rich worth the smoldering resentment/'peace'?

The United States can continue to spout Democracy but it is hypocritical. Egypt threw out an elected government but the US decided that was fine because the government they threw out was allied with the Moslem Brotherhood -an enemy of the West. The US still keeps Guantanamo open - a semi concentration camp ,located in a foreign country that is often criticized for its human rights abuses, The US police forces continue to abuse people of color and often shoot them dead when non lethal force would suffice. American prisons hold more people than any other in the World, mostly on drug charges instead of decriminalizing it and providing funding for treatment.

One of the posters pointed out the democracy in the US is based upon how much money the candidates can raise or accumulate and how beholden they become to special interests. Nothing is ever done for the poor; and the American middle class is slowly becoming the poor. America is slipping into Third World status. Is this really the 'democracy' that any other country wants to emulate? Thailand needs to develop its own brand of Democracy and not listed to countries like the United States or others where their brand of Democracy will eventually lead to failed states. Western politicians are only interested in keeping themselves in power as long as possible and assisting their capitalistic minions to continue to steal from the masses.

The US has many problems. The democratic process is in trouble. But these same things can be said of many countries around the world, possibly your home country also.

It ain't perfect, but it's not terrible. Unless you spend too much time reading all the negative news reports. Most of my friends now living in the US are quite happy. All issues aside....

Thailand has raised hordes of selfish and naughty adult brats since a few generations. Having money and connections equals living in an unattended candy store. Thainess has pretty much shifted to a limitless "what's in it for me" attitude even though there are still many Thai people with a big heart and great attitude, young and old. The majority has been brainwashed since early ages that the Kingdom of Thailand is the crown of creation and superior to anything else but failing miserably at developing the ability of self-reflection and initiating an all-encompassing dialogue to tackle and solve problems. These people are too busy pointing fingers and refusing any kind of responsibility. Many completely lost their sense of honor. Face and money is more important than truth and doing the right thing. Laws are just ink on a piece of paper, ready to be bend unquestioned in any kind of direction as needed by Thai people with a good network and sufficient funds. In this kind of society democracy has no base. Yes, you can have an election which may sooth the western point of view but it doesn't mean that it serves its purposes in a democratic way. Try to see the bigger picture. Thailand has moved way too long in the wrong direction to just implement a western style democracy. The Thai version of democracy didn't work that well in the past so why should it work better in the future? I'm afraid that Thailand will need generations to clean up its self-imposed immaturity concerning democracy and developing abilities to look beyond the Thai horizon.

Unless the West changes its greedy ways- within 30 years you will see totalitarian governments emerge with the support of its electorate. Western capitalism as it now exists is starting to experience a slow death. Thailand has the rare opportunity to develop its Democracy in a way that avoid the excesses of the West and give its people peace and justice.without destroying its culture and traditions. Are they up to the task? That is what the debate is about.

"The corruption will continue"

Has it ever stopped?

Freedom and democracy come at a heavy price.......

Suggest you check out some American History books, and read more.

The number of Thai nationals demanding to break ties with the US and get all snuggly with Beijing are not only a vocal tiny minority, they are also fooling themselves that just because they scream "I love the King more than you do!" that anybody believes them.

Shouting usually proves you are insecure in your arguments.

ISIS and other terrorist organizations make that argument too.

The Shins organized their own private militia and controlled the police. Possibly some will see that as a counter balance to the military which supports the establishment. But, once you legitimize a terrorist organization you invite the devil to dinner. Ask the Israelis.

Thanks great post could not have said it any better.

Not sure this would have the same consequences as the amnesty for Thaksin bill. More similar to when PTP's police announced people who "liked" a social media post that criticized the government would be prosecuted under the Computer Crimes Act.

Hastily withdrawn.

No that's a silly comparison.However I do tend to agree that the single gateway issue doesn't have the power in itself to force the Junta out.It does contribute to the climate of mistrust that is alienating many of the coupsters' early supporters.In my view the key issue is the economy and its management will ultimately decide the success or otherwise of the Junta's agenda.

Thailand has nothing the U.S. wants or needs. The U.S. will push out its chest, rattle its sabre and spew how Thailand is being a bad country.

Now when it comes to the Saudi's, THAT'S a horse of a different color. The words lick spittle sycophants come to mind.

Proud to be 'Merican, ashamed of my government.

Half a democracy is perhaps the wrong expression. The previous government were democratically elected. The process was the process laid down by law, enforced by the EC and the result was expressed in parliamentary terms according to the rules. Arguably, there were some dubious practices, but that is seemingly the accepted norm.

However, once elected PTP did not continue to act democratically. Power was handed over to the party owner, a non elected criminal fugitive, who paid all MP's a separate salary, selected the cabinet and dictated policy. PTP, even with an absolute majority, cheated parliamentary procedure, lied repeatedly, followed self interests and ignored the judiciary, laws and public opinion when it suited. Their main purpose was to create an amnesty whitewash for their boss which led to their eventual downfall.

Most, if not all, Westerners who post here would prefer a democratically elected government, that operated within the law, with honesty and followed democratic principles. That doesn't seem possible in Thailand which sadly is riddled with corruption from top to bottom, where lying and cheating are considered normal behavior and where there is a top layer of incredibly wealthy elites controlling everything, placing themselves above the law, and refusing to allow evolution.

We, in the West, have not had the experience of numerous military coups. But neither have we had experience of an openly dishonest government, lying and cheating, and controlled by a criminal who pays them a wage to do his bidding.

I doubt that any democratically elected government, whatever the process, controlled by the Shins, would ever evolve into real democracy or abide by laws and govern honestly with accountability. So far, all Shin regimes have been the opposite.

"I doubt that any democratically elected government, whatever the process, controlled by the Shins, would ever evolve into real democracy or abide by laws and govern honestly with accountability"

Maybe, but Thailand hasn't really been given the chance to evolve due to the interference of the military/old elite, who desperately cling to power and instigate coups whenever they feel they've been kept away from the trough for too long.

As governments go the former was mind blowing in ineptness and cronyism (who can forget Ploddy and Mr Ear Medicine), but Thai law and forum rules prevent me from giving my honest opinion of the present regime.

There are countless examples of incompetent, democratically elected regimes like for instance the governments of Greece for the last couple of decades but few (if any) have suggested a military takeover would solve anything. Instead, they have been allowed to fail - as is their right.

I agree with a lot of what you say Rob, but let's not forget that their wouldn't have been shootings, bombings sieging of government buildings if their wasn't demonstrations on the streets of Bangkok! Personally I feel as safe now as I did over 20 years ago down south, but then again I don't go looking for trouble!

Being an alien without a vote, I try to be objective and unbiased when making comments about the political situation here in Thailand.

Having read your post a few times it seems to me that you prefer a government backed by the (legal) guns of the army, despite the fact that the coup itself was an an illegal act? The problem here is that the vast majority of Thais (PTP) do not have the military backing and firepower that the minority (Dems/elite) have, and have to resourt to illegal armed acts to destabilise their opponents.

I'm not saying that the last or any previous PTP (Thaksin) government was honest and demonstrated openness and accountability, but can you now say that the current military government has been open and accountable in any way, eg mega railway contracts, when it has a stranglehold on all political opinion, and openly threatens and then punishes anyone who dares to offer any opinion that differs to the military 'orders of the day'?

IMHO Thailand will never attain any form of political stability until it's elitist military is banned from all political activity.

Out of curiosity, how many farangs died in Bangkok during the protests of 2014?

How many have died under suspicious circumstances since the protest?

How many were killed last month at the Erawan shrine but it wasn't a terrorist bomb?

Bangkok is a dangerous place 24/7 and you can lose your life there to acts of violence, to state that you feel safer since the army took over is laughable really.

Try selling that point to the murdered at the Erawan shrine!!!!!!!!!

The Govenment stated that it wasn't an act of terrorism it was just "revenge" what complete and utter <deleted>, what happened there was NO DIFFERENT to what was going on during the protest.

Only those with political agendas would think otherwise !!!!!