Climbing on the moat walls

If you mean the Tapae Gate it is a reconstruction. I don't remember the original as having stairs although the original of the outer wall may have had stairs.

The actual original old sections are ancient monuments so if you are going to preserve it you can't have people climbing on it, same as any old structures.

If you mean the Tapae Gate it is a reconstruction. I don't remember the original as having stairs although the original of the outer wall may have had stairs.

The actual original old sections are ancient monuments so if you are going to preserve it you can't have people climbing on it, same as any old structures.

Are any original? I doubt it. Hope someone proves me wrong.

Check out the photos from the late 1800s:

http://www.photoontour.com/SpecialPhotos_HTML/data_king_family/History/Lanna_Kingdom_sub_02_Lanna_Old_Photo01.htm

Seems that there was quite a bit left at that time. My guess is that a lot of it is original and a lot of it isn't.

I wish the similar red clay rustic bricks in my garden would last more than just a few years thumbsup.gif

Edited by MESmith

All original apart from Tapae Gate. Some sections of the wall were "filled in" using a grant from the Japanese about 20 yrs ago.

Interestingly it is the Japanese that took the walls apart in their efforts to build a road to Burma in the 2nd WW

Check out the photos from the late 1800s:

http://www.photoontour.com/SpecialPhotos_HTML/data_king_family/History/Lanna_Kingdom_sub_02_Lanna_Old_Photo01.htm

Seems that there was quite a bit left at that time. My guess is that a lot of it is original and a lot of it isn't.

Top right photo is Tapae gate!

Note the absence of McDonalds and Starbucks. Also absent are the Chinese taking selfies.

just for you. climb up, in the birthday suit, and let me know how it goes.

Oh I could'nt be bothered climbing up for a look. Just thought it was wierd they build stair but then you aren't allowed to use them! crazy.gif

All original apart from Tapae Gate. Some sections of the wall were "filled in" using a grant from the Japanese about 20 yrs ago.

Interestingly it is the Japanese that took the walls apart in their efforts to build a road to Burma in the 2nd WW

Original from when? A quick web search indicates the walls were rebuilt around 1800 by Chao Kawila

http://www.1stopchiangmai.com/articles/historical_chiangmai/

Not exactly "ancient".

Original from when? A quick web search indicates the walls were rebuilt around 1800 by Chao Kawila

The histories I've read confirm that Chiangmai and its walls were essentially destroyed due to decades and decades of attacks mainly by the Burmese and the city was essentially abandoned for 20+ years until the mid-1790's. And King Kawila (appointed by King Taksin to rule Chiangmai) started rebuilding the inner walls around 1800. And most of those walls that he rebuilt are gone and every gate has been rebuilt within the last 100 years (some within the last 30 years). Supposedly some of the bricks from the older walls were used for the rebuilding so perhaps some of the bricks of what's left of the walls/gates date from Kawila's time.

For as long as I remember, those steps on the west side of Thaphae Gate were always there and people regularly climbed up there until a few (5-10?) years back when chains and signs were installed to stop that. I did notice last week, though, that the chains seemed to be gone (likely only temporarily if repairs are being made).

The sign are fairly new. Up until a few years ago it wasn't a big issue. Seems there has been a recent influx of people that want to climb up, around, over, under without any regard...

just for you. climb up, in the birthday suit, and let me know how it goes.

Oh I could'nt be bothered climbing up for a look. Just thought it was wierd they build stair but then you aren't allowed to use them! crazy.gif

The histories I've read confirm that Chiangmai and its walls were essentially destroyed due to decades and decades of attacks mainly by the Burmese and the city was essentially abandoned for 20+ years until the mid-1790's. And King Kawila (appointed by King Taksin to rule Chiangmai) started rebuilding the inner walls around 1800. And most of those walls that he rebuilt are gone and every gate has been rebuilt within the last 100 years (some within the last 30 years). Supposedly some of the bricks from the older walls were used for the rebuilding so perhaps some of the bricks of what's left of the walls/gates date from Kawila's time.

For as long as I remember, those steps on the west side of Thaphae Gate were always there and people regularly climbed up there until a few (5-10?) years back when chains and signs were installed to stop that. I did notice last week, though, that the chains seemed to be gone (likely only temporarily if repairs are being made).

In the past 6 years I was able to go up and take a picture. Now I believe they have a grate across the top of them.