Who owns the curb? Rules on building out too

Some places I've seen the curb constructed on from Krabi, Trang, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Bangkok , PHUKET where you see the road is right against a wall on one side or both...

So curious as to the rules, for instance in some states in the US and even the UK the owner of the house and land owns the curb outside their property .

So if you buy a property on a private estate set up I am curious as to whether you can extend the property wall to the curb . Or whether people have just claimed the path/drive way and built on it.

Dont know about the US but would suggest in the UK you are wrong...what the property owner actually owns will be defined by the property "building lines" which define the property, in case of the curb in the UK these will be owned by the local council

In the moobaan i live in there is a 0.5m strip of land beyond my outside wall which abutts the kerb and this 0.5m is common land owned by the moobaan, but i maintain it in the sense i have paved it and others have put plants in etc, in terms of the buliding plans/property lines on the drawings my Mrs only owns the land upto the outer edge of the boundary wall facing the road

So the answer to your question in terms of where i live the answer is no you cant build right to the kerb

Edited by Soutpeel

has had me going for years, when you see people that have built their little shops right to the edge of the road(in front of their house or not) and any cars that stop block the whole lane you really have to wonder if its legal. Seems to be that thais simply claim all the area in front of their land as their own which can make it pretty hard to drive along some streets. In Australia there is a shoulder/nature strip/footpath/kerb on every road/street in the country that has to be left clear so a car can actually park/stop there without blocking the road at all if needed. Even the country roads they plant right to the edge of them and the trees grow over the road, guess no one gives a sh*t or cares if it is legal or not, the police etc certainly dont do anything about it. One road I travel on often has a little shop on a corner and the awning actually sticks out over the road, waiting for a truck to drive along one night and tear it right off the shop as its only 2 plus metres above the road

Dont know about the US but would suggest in the UK you are wrong...what the property owner actually owns will be defined by the property "building lines" which define the property, in case of the curb in the UK these will be owned by the local council

In the moobaan i live in there is a 0.5m strip of land beyond my outside wall which abutts the kerb and this 0.5m is common land owned by the moobaan, but i maintain it in the sense i have paved it and others have put plants in etc, in terms of the buliding plans/property lines on the drawings my Mrs only owns the land upto the outer edge of the boundary wall facing the road

So the answer to your question in terms of where i live the answer is no you cant build right to the kerb

This is similar to Canadian law. You own the land up to the sidewalk/footpath and hence you can build a fence up to that point. But the actual sidewalk is common land upon which you are still responsible for maintaining (I.e. If it snows you are responsible for shoveling the sidewalk clear, if your negligence results in a person slipping then the home owner will be at fault even though the sidewalk is not technically "owned" by the homeowner).

As Soutpeel said, in the UK you own the land up until the curtilage of your property. The footpath/pavement and curb are mostly owned by the local authority.

There can sometimes be a bit of disregard for boundaries in Thailand.

I was told by a long standing Thai resident when I lived at a house in a Soi in Phetchaburi that the front boundary was the line punctuated by the pillars supporting the power lines feeding the properties (not in so many words!) - many occupiers had 'built out' at the front of their houses, in some cases right up to the edge of the road (there was no kerb) but all were aware that the tessa baan could at any time remove any buildings or obstacles in place 'roadside' of those pillars.

Edited by piersbeckett