Prayut denies BBC Thai's 'staged handshake' Facebook post

webfact

I have to shake hands with people I can't stand every day, who are doing their best to fark me over, and take my job from me, I don't really make a big song and dance about it, my thoughts on them don't change just because of a courtesy hand shake.

You need to start thinking about what you will do after you reach puberty Mr. PM.

Maybe he will join the army, he sounds like the sort of chap who could do well in the army!

:)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Why would I have to ask him to shake hands with me? I have my dignity. I'm a country's leader. Why wouldn't he do that with me?"

I have to agree with the PM on this occasion.

Irrespective of the criticism that we (Farang) level at Prayut, there is no disputing that he is currently “leading” this country! As such, I’m sure the President of the United States would be sufficiently well versed in international protocol, and have enough decorum to greet Prayut in the appropriate manner (befitting his position as leader of Thailand).

Even if the photo was staged – so what, President Obama took part in it too, didn’t he?

Prayut’s response to the pathetic media circus in this country should have been to brush the allegation aside, saying that he had more serious matters to attend to, and then left it at that. Drought, the draft Constitution, and the EU threat to the fishing industry (to name a few) are far more important issues, and the PM would be wise to keep domestic issues at the top of the agenda.

Unfortunately, the PM continues to be his own worst enemy, especially if the following is a true translation of what he reportedly said later, “It's up to them how to write the news, but man, don't be too free, or people will get hurt."

I would hope he doesn’t mean physically, but this is a clear (and not isolated) example that he really needs do some media training.

I’m sure he would have a better relationship with the media if he did. He already has the ability to display emotion, he just needs to develop more empathy, as the following quote shows, "Please understand me. It's usual that I can be moody. Just don't go against me too much."

You, on the other hand, don't seem to understand international protocol and he is not fully recognised as a "leader"....there are plenty of people in powerful positions on this planet that other "leaders" won't shake hands with due to public opinion or law in their own country.

I guess I can't help myself, so I must reply to Fat H. I agree with many of your posts and I assure you I am not bitter nor do I sit around drinking all day. I am older and I guess a Senior citizen who has lived in Thailand a long time and been though a variety of coups and promises by both elected and non elected governments, always to be let down. Your are right, as a foreigner, my life has not changed considerably no matter who is in power be it a Shin, a General, or an academic.

I do not criticize the younger generation . I was once one of them and wish I still was. I admire their tenacity, their desire for change and also their ability to argue a point. They are the ones who will be a change agent if there ever is one. What I never appreciate is when someone challenges my opinion and uses personal attacks to do so. While there are too many older people dismissing one's opinion because they are younger the reverse is also true.I am not referring to the poster but making a general statement.

My frustration on this subject comes with having lived through the various coups and seeing no positive change for the people. It always seems to end the same. I am trying to maintain some hope that this time is different- that the General really wants to make this place work and really can make it happen. Some people don't want to give him more time, which I understand. Of course, he could always say like one poster said- I quit- have the election and may the best person win. The problem is that the person who wins is normally those that have the deepest pockets. If he really is one who wants to see a real change- his duty is to follow through to the end. Time will tell.

This man is not cut out for politics, it is normal for the media to pick up on juicy stories, like it or not., politicians dont cry about it and throw tantrums, its part of the job to accept criticism. He should just keep quiet about this, his rantings only fuel the fire and make the BBC news story look more believable.

Of course he will not go and talk to the BBC, they would publish the discussion and it would likely be very embarrassing for Prayuth.

Also, he refers to himself as a leader of a country, well yes, self appointed leader, not elected by the people of Thailand which is against the whole idea of democracy. This is the whole point really, the West will never support a military take over and an unelected military government in power.

Also, why insist on knowing the authors name? Why does that matter, the BBC own the story and they ran with it. If he wants to challenge it then talk to the BBC.

He is also issuing a veiled threat about what the media print, then he is contradicting it citing freedom of speech and the threatening again, so is he threatening, not threatening,,,, who knows.

Whatever he says the BBC and other news agencies will continue to print stuff about Thailand that the current PM does not like, it will not stop, ever. Perhaps he should put this much energy in tackling the corrupt police and officials in the country.

I guess I can't help myself, so I must reply to Fat H. I agree with many of your posts and I assure you I am not bitter nor do I sit around drinking all day. I am older and I guess a Senior citizen who has lived in Thailand a long time and been though a variety of coups and promises by both elected and non elected governments, always to be let down. Your are right, as a foreigner, my life has not changed considerably no matter who is in power be it a Shin, a General, or an academic.

I do not criticize the younger generation . I was once one of them and wish I still was. I admire their tenacity, their desire for change and also their ability to argue a point. They are the ones who will be a change agent if there ever is one. What I never appreciate is when someone challenges my opinion and uses personal attacks to do so. While there are too many older people dismissing one's opinion because they are younger the reverse is also true.I am not referring to the poster but making a general statement.

My frustration on this subject comes with having lived through the various coups and seeing no positive change for the people. It always seems to end the same. I am trying to maintain some hope that this time is different- that the General really wants to make this place work and really can make it happen. Some people don't want to give him more time, which I understand. Of course, he could always say like one poster said- I quit- have the election and may the best person win. The problem is that the person who wins is normally those that have the deepest pockets. If he really is one who wants to see a real change- his duty is to follow through to the end. Time will tell.

It's not a case of can't help yourself it's a case of something you believe in, nothing wrong with that. I don't beleieve that many TVF members are the bar stool types, me, I don't really drink at all, I'm away overseas for 8 weeks at a time dry, so when I come home, 2-3 beers in 4 weeks is my limit now.

I too thought that Prayuth intentions were good, but over time it's been fiasco over fiasco over fiasco, his comments and criticism of the press have got worse, he has lacked a good PR team since day one.

Remember the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I personally said after he took over, that he should be granted a full 4 year term to implement reforms and that's pretty much what will happen, but 18 months have gone already and not one major reform, has taken place. Tick tock tick tock... Time is no longer on his side.

This is why Suthep and the mental monk are now getting more vocal they want reforms before elections, they too know time is of the essence, we farangs all know that everything right now is about timing, but not for reforms. But what the future holds. And it's the holders of the keys to the big chair that can and will determine the future.

Do you keep giving a used care salesman time to sell a car, or do to bring in someone else who has the gift of the gab, is energetic and dynamic and could sell you the moon, not merely promise it? :)

The real question is why the BBC are making such controversial political comments at all.

They are supposed to report the news, not take sides. No doubt our resident red-shirt Mr Head had a hand in this somewhere.

"staging" handshakes IS news.

The BBC are not there to panda to your bland interpretation of events, they have powerful intelligent people who can analyse events and bring those analyses to the attention of the public....exactl;y what they do best. Let's face it no-one in Thailand is going to start up a topic like this at present.

PS - just because someone presents news you don't like or agree with doesn't mean they are biased....it probably does mean you are narrow-minded, though.

Edited by Loeilad

This man is not cut out for politics, it is normal for the media to pick up on juicy stories, like it or not., politicians dont cry about it and throw tantrums, its part of the job to accept criticism. He should just keep quiet about this, his rantings only fuel the fire and make the BBC news story look more believable.

Of course he will not go and talk to the BBC, they would publish the discussion and it would likely be very embarrassing for Prayuth.

Also, he refers to himself as a leader of a country, well yes, self appointed leader, not elected by the people of Thailand which is against the whole idea of democracy. This is the whole point really, the West will never support a military take over and an unelected military government in power.

Also, why insist on knowing the authors name? Why does that matter, the BBC own the story and they ran with it. If he wants to challenge it then talk to the BBC.

He is also issuing a veiled threat about what the media print, then he is contradicting it citing freedom of speech and the threatening again, so is he threatening, not threatening,,,, who knows.

Whatever he says the BBC and other news agencies will continue to print stuff about Thailand that the current PM does not like, it will not stop, ever. Perhaps he should put this much energy in tackling the corrupt police and officials in the country.

Watch this documentary and try again, with a straight face, to talk about whether the west will or won't support military dictatorships. http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/2011/08/201184144547798162.html

Watch this documentary and try again, with a straight face, to talk about whether the west will or won't support military dictatorships. http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/2011/08/201184144547798162.html

Now you're just trying to falsely dichotomize the argument....it isn't about whether or not the west supports dictatorships - they've done that for centuries.

The issue is that Prayuth does not have the full trust or support of the west yet and he is trying to put forward an image of being "accepted" by the international community that is at odds with the reality of the situation and this has been underlined or "exposed" by the BBC much to his dismay. Unfortunately he has shown his own ineptitude on the world stage by his apparently self-centred and arogant reaction to the item.

Edited by Loeilad

Fat H- last post makes much sense. There is always a time limit in everything- you have to produce or move aside to let someone else produce. The problem here is that there is no one really waiting in the wings who can take up the mantle and says elect me, or give me the power, I can get it done and here is how, Elections are about campaigning , laying your program out and then hoping enough people buy into and you get the chance. The General has some programs that he has laid-out and his latest attempt to get to an election is through the committee that was just formed heading by Khun Meechai. There are others on the committee who are academics, former officials and yes some retired military. I still say this- if he quit today- and said have your election, there is no one out there other than the relics of the past who have already had their turn. I cannot think of one forward thinking politician in Thailand that could grab the challenge and run with it. There is also the underlying reasons couched in protection of culture and traditions that have to be accounted for.

The General probably could use a good PR firm to teach him how to polish his image. However, he is not a politician. He is an army person who gives orders and expects them to be followed. The problem is that most people are not in the Army and they don't take well to a gruff, do it my way or the highway style. Frankly, I do not envy the man- he is really on the hot seat and the longer he stays the hotter it gets. I hope we don't all get burned.

Free speech......Sorry, I was here when Mr T was is power. Funny how people here seen to base there opinions on how long they have been paying attention to Thai politics.

it amazes me that people can live in Thailand for decades and still understand sod-all about Thai politics.

Clue - if you see things in terms of red/Yellow and Thaksin, you probably don't understand what is going on........and you probably watch far too much football.

Edited by Loeilad

I just read the BBC article claim and also re read the General's response. The BBC is full of baloney. President Obama would have nothing to gain by accepting involvement in a staged picture. It is normal of the Host- Mr Obama- to shake hands with anyone in the room and allow a picture.This is normal protocol and good manners when you invite people to a meeting, dinner and you are the host of the United nations. The BBC report has no substance. It is a gutter snipe at a leader that they do not like and is very unprofessional. In fact much of what the Western media reports on about Thailand is of poor quality and normally shows a lack of understanding. It doesn't matter who the reporter is. The General needs to let it go. He has given his answer. Move on to things of more substance.

Now you're just trying to falsely dichotomize the argument....it isn't about whether or not the west supports dictatorships - they've done that for centuries.

The issue is that Prayuth does not have the full trust or support of the west yet and he is trying to put forward an image of being "accepted" by the international community that is at odds with the reality of the situation and this has been underlined or "exposed" by the BBC much to his dismay. Unfortunately he has shown his own ineptitude on the world stage by his apparently self-centred and arogant reaction to the item.

I took offence to "the West will never support a military take over and an unelected military government in power." SImple as that.

I am not that interested in Prayuth's reasons for reacting the way he did. Perfectly reasonable to believe it's simply about the "truth" being "exposed". Not that interested in discussing which news agencies are the most trusted or hold the moral high ground either.

I just read the BBC article claim and also re read the General's response. The BBC is full of baloney. President Obama would have nothing to gain by accepting involvement in a staged picture. It is normal of the Host- Mr Obama- to shake hands with anyone in the room and allow a picture.This is normal protocol and good manners when you invite people to a meeting, dinner and you are the host of the United nations. The BBC report has no substance. It is a gutter snipe at a leader that they do not like and is very unprofessional. In fact much of what the Western media reports on about Thailand is of poor quality and normally shows a lack of understanding. It doesn't matter who the reporter is. The General needs to let it go. He has given his answer. Move on to things of more substance.

er....thank you, General, for putting the record straight.

Even if the photo was staged – so what,

Well this is the point now, isn't it.

The PM says it wasn't staged, and now you are suggesting that, even it were staged, that would be OK. Now you just need to convince the dear leader.

It's really only the PM who seems to be crying about this; if he just kept quiet everything would be fine.

Edited by bamnutsak

I took offence to "the West will never support a military take over and an unelected military government in power." SImple as that.

I am not that interested in Prayuth's reasons for reacting the way he did. Perfectly reasonable to believe it's simply about the "truth" being "exposed". Not that interested in discussing which news agencies are the most trusted or hold the moral high ground either.

You may be right, Western politicians have been know to contradict themselves, but in this case they are not. No need to take offence, nothing I have said is incorrect.

There are always exceptions to everything and I am not 100% happy with what politicians do all the time.

But you miss the point, and dont seem to care so no real need for your post....

All those handshakes are part of a staged. Any social event around conferences such as this one are huge PR events with nothing left to chance. Protocol is nothing more than the veneer of politeness applied on top of it.

Even Putin got to clink glasses with President Obama at one gala event......eventually.

So this was no more staged as any of it. BBC lying again. If Obama really had a problem there would never be a handshake his handlers are not stupid.

This time lots of hot air from the BBC.

But the good general is again reacting with the grace of an elephant in a china-shop. He should not even have commented on the BBC. I have seen bias articles form them before, no news agency is impartial.

haha one finally showed up! you, djjamie, H90, Rubl or Bearboxer or one of the rest of the Junta apologists were bound to show up to defend your hero...

BBC lying? they offered to meet so the General's people could 'tell them' where they had been lying but, of course, this could not be allowed to happen and so the General's people asked for the name of the writer KNOWING the BBC could not divulge it.

I know it's early in the morning but WAKE UP man!

The number one Shin apologist and Yingluck fanboy accusing others of being apologists. You're so funny! Good one.

The BBC have been known, and are well criticized, for showing some political bias. Anything Head churns out is always written to show the Shins in the best possible light.

This type of photo happens all the time at conferences, seminar etc, whether business leaders, politicians, or who ever. As Fat Haggis says, people have to shake hands often with people they wouldn't want to. It's an expected courtesy.

At least Obama looks better in this picture than the one where he was leering at a pouting Yingluck. Reminded me of how a dog looks at his food.

To suggest this picture was "staged" as a photo op, as if Obama and his team would be that gullible, is as stupid as claiming that it means Obama supports or endorses something. Or as daft as Lanna Guy and is Shin loving mates trying to make something silly out of it. Pathetic.

So where is the official Thai picture of them shaking hands, you know, the one that most PR teams would have, to capture such an occasion?

Or isn't there one, pretty much like the RTPs claim of having DNA and semen samples from the two accused in the Koh Tao murder case and that its more than likely neither really exist?

"They have kept this up for 60-70 years, and people all over the country are still intoxicated by their news.

"When I was a military commander in 2006, they criticised the prime minister then," he said, referring to Thaksin Shinawatra.

"But now they're turning on me. Why is that? I've never done anything wrong. I've only used the law in creative, peaceful ways."

My God, I would like to say so many things here, but..............

Only one thing: Now I know why BBC is not so recommended, just one of those....yellow press channels...