Buying train ticket

banagan

I want to buy a night train ticket to Bangkok for next week, I don't want to have to go all the way to the train station to do this, can I

a) buy online, I'm thinking, no

B) buy from a travel agent?

c) buy at 7/11... I know I can get green bus tickets there

Cheers

Why not fly? Trains are dangerous in Thailand and it takes forever to get to Bangkok. Flying is cheap. Endless promotions at the moment.

After they outlawed beer on the trains (and you can't even bring your own) much of the fun of the overnight trains disappeared. The bar car was always a fun couple hours in the evening, but no more. That's when I discovered how easy it was to fly Bangkok Air into Swampy and hop on the train into the city. No more train.

Train is a nice option compared to a flight and a worthwhile adventure. Safer than a bus tour too. The journey is the destination. Take a night train and arrive fresh in the morning. Unfortunately they don't serve alcohol on trains anymore I believe. That was fun, when all the whiskey bottles come on the table...

It's not cheaper than a flight. If you want to save money, take a bus.

No they definitely still don't serve alcohol on trains. I was near Bangkok this week and took a short train ride and saw the sign in the station about how they don't sell and you can't bring alcohol on the trains. Some who took an overnight train recently told me they looked carefully to make sure you weren't sneaking in your own, also. So it's definitely not party time on the night trains anymore. I suspect they aren't doing karaoke in the restaurant car either anymore. Somehow that just isn't the same when you're sober.

Edited by NancyL