Advice/tips holiday in Thailand with kids

irishken

Maybe been over the top here but just looking for info:

So flights are booked for Feb 2016. First time back since Oct 2013. Last time went pretty bad to put it mildly.

Last time my daughter started teething (11 months old) just before we left. She got a teething fever just when we got to Thailand and that turned into a cold then pneumonia as she wouldn't take the antibiotics we got from the hospital. She just kept spitting them out. So she spent four night in hospital on Samui and then we had to keep her in the hotel room all day when she got out while giving her the medicine she was still on and the nebulizer.

I know going in and out of the hot air to air con didn't help and i never seem to be able to get air con at a comfortable temp. This time we are just going to isaan and north pattaya with bkk at the end and keeping internal flights to 2. She is a much different baby now then before and takes medicine if shes sick and my son will be just 2 when we travel but he's as strong as a ox so not so worried about him.

Anyway just looking to see what you guys do to protect your children while in Thailand, especially those who live in a colder climate and then travel to Thailand

Her been in hospital is only half the troubles we had. We actually couldn't wait to get back to Ireland and my wife was feeling the same,even though she is Thai.

Cheers

I am absolutely certain, unless you drop off the kids at a water park, all

day/every day, and excluding rainy days, your rug rats will be bored to

death after day one & if it rains, you are in for living hell ! Thailand

is not for kids, not much for adults either so why not just stay home, let

them run wild in a controlled environment or....... go where there are themeparks buy a week long ( year long ? ), pass tell them they can diet on pizza/hamburgers/popcandy and you/wife can just leave them there. NO !, not

forever !

Safari World

Ice World (I think thats the name) at Gateway Ekammai / Kidzoona is also a Gateway Ekkamai

There is an excellent new Kids play / educational area at Emporium (same floor as the children clothing / toys - ( forget the name )

Kidzania - a fun play area for young kids, they can dress up and play as Dr, Banker, Chef etc... kind of career orientated but kids love it.

Other kids play areas such as Funarium on Sukhumvit 26

There is also the Planetarium near Ekammai (for older kids)

You should be able to google to find out more about these places....

Protecting young kids in Thailand:

Make sure all their vaccines are up to date - so a trip to the doctors. Also let the doctor know where you're going so they can recommend any additional vaccines not normally given in UK. There are a couple our kids have had here that they wouldn't get in UK as normal practice.

If going up country them mosquito repellent/sprays as well as cream/treatment for once bitten. Mosquitos seem to like westerners more and often there is more of a reaction if bitten Boots has some particularly good stuff for before and after. Not always as easy to get good quality stuff here and my wife likes the stuff they have in UK. Also clothes that keep them covered help with this.

Similarly sun creams and clothing and hats to protect from sun. Little kids can be more susceptible to these effects so need to keep an eye on them. Our kids for example take hats to school, which would never occur to us in UK.

If up country, just as comfort they may need an extra layer of clothes/ some warmer clothes, as believe it or not can get cold at night

Basic medicines for kids are easily available here for non-serious fevers/ temperatures which seem to crop up any time. My wife usually takes some when we travel, eg antihistimine and tylenol are the two most common.

Cheers

Fletch :)

Protecting young kids in Thailand:

Make sure all their vaccines are up to date - so a trip to the doctors. Also let the doctor know where you're going so they can recommend any additional vaccines not normally given in UK. There are a couple our kids have had here that they wouldn't get in UK as normal practice.

If going up country them mosquito repellent/sprays as well as cream/treatment for once bitten. Mosquitos seem to like westerners more and often there is more of a reaction if bitten Boots has some particularly good stuff for before and after. Not always as easy to get good quality stuff here and my wife likes the stuff they have in UK. Also clothes that keep them covered help with this.

Similarly sun creams and clothing and hats to protect from sun. Little kids can be more susceptible to these effects so need to keep an eye on them. Our kids for example take hats to school, which would never occur to us in UK.

If up country, just as comfort they may need an extra layer of clothes/ some warmer clothes, as believe it or not can get cold at night

Basic medicines for kids are easily available here for non-serious fevers/ temperatures which seem to crop up any time. My wife usually takes some when we travel, eg antihistimine and tylenol are the two most common.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure we'll be ok, just putting last trip down to bad luck. Less time traveling around this time should also help

Archived