Saudi Arabia's Prince Alwaleed raises Twitter stake

webfact

Saudi Arabia's Prince Alwaleed raises Twitter stake

606x341_314823.jpg

RIYADH: -- Saudi Arabian billionaire Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal and his investment company have increased their stake in Twitter to more than five percent, according to his office.

Kingdom Holding, which confirmed the move in a statement, has reportedly paid 44 million euros to double its stake.

The combined holding makes the prince and his investment company the second largest investors in Twitter with 35 million shares, a stake whose market value is worth nearly 900 million euros.

The disclosure comes in the week Twitter named co-founder and former leader Jack Dorsey as its CEO in a bid to recover the buzz of its early years.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-08

I'm no fan of the Saudis. I've never heard of ths guy before so I have no knowledge of his aspirations, etc.

It's kind of hard to understand why a guy with deeply entrenched links to such an extreme (to us) authoritarian regime would invest in something like Twitter which espouses free speech, etc.

Maybe he's making a shrewd move here but I have to play devils advocate and say something like "beware the evil influence from those who would silence their critics".

I guess reporter never learn math in school or editors have never heard of proofreading.

If he doubled his stake which is now worth 900M then he spent 440M Euro assuming the "44" was correct, otherwise I'd say he spent 450M Euro, but close enough or maybe his stake is really only 90M.

In fact Fortune says his holdings are now worth 1 billion.

I'm no fan of the Saudis. I've never heard of ths guy before so I have no knowledge of his aspirations, etc.

It's kind of hard to understand why a guy with deeply entrenched links to such an extreme (to us) authoritarian regime would invest in something like Twitter which espouses free speech, etc.

Maybe he's making a shrewd move here but I have to play devils advocate and say something like "beware the evil influence from those who would silence their critics".

They make living very difficult in Saudi but those with the money prefer the Western life style. Hypocrites at the best

They make living very difficult in Saudi but those with the money prefer the Western life style. Hypocrites at the best

Not just Saudi, just about every other islamic country.

Not just Saudi, just about every other islamic country.

No not all. Algeria and Kazakhstan are different. Oman is easy to live in as well as is Qatar and the Emirates