50-year-old Norwegian tourist assaulted, robbed in Pattaya

webfact

50-year-old Norwegian tourist assaulted, robbed in Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- A 50-year-old Norwegian man was physically assaulted and robbed in Pattaya early Thursday by a taxi motorcyclist, police said.

The tourist was identified as Tore Klungeruik.

With help from a Thai Samaritan, Sompong Chanduang, 34, the Norwegian filed a complaint with police at 8 am Thursday.

He said he hired a taxi motorcyclist for Bt200 to ride him from a bar on Pattaya walking street to his hotel but the robber rode around for half an hour before he elbowed him, causing him to fall down and repeatedly kicked him.

The Norwegian man said he motorcyclist too his cash of Bt12,000 and an iPhone and fled on his motorcycle.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/50-year-old-Norwegian-tourist-assaulted-robbed-in--30270443.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-08

If you've been to an ATM, 12K isn't much. I take 20K out when I use ATMS and yes the money is on me until I get home.

Indeed, but even if you had 2K on you and got robbed the Thai apologists would still blame you, the victim

If you've been to an ATM, 12K isn't much. I take 20K out when I use ATMS and yes the money is on me until I get home.

Yes, but I doubt you're drunk, lost and making your way home the morning after, but I'm speculating. Maybe you are full of surprises.

Indeed, but even if you had 2K on you and got robbed the Thai apologists would still blame you, the victim

Claiming that anyone who doesn't mindlessly bash Thais must be somehow apologizing is nonsense and more than a little old.

It was a Thai who came to his rescue as well. Or do we only consider Thais who act badly when summing up?

Drunks with pockets full of cash are mugged in every country. Of course the mugger is a criminal whether he's Thai or whatever, but quite often the victim has acted stupidly. But then I'm sure the drunk apologists think it's sensible to get blind drunk alone in an unfamiliar locale in the wee hours of the morning in tourist towns in Europe or the US and assume you'll be perfectly safe.

Edited by Suradit69

Reminds me of a small instance yesterday morning; I was walking down the road when a guy who told me he was Norwegian stopped me, and asked why all the shops were closed.

I pointed out to him that at 07:20, most shops were closed, but signs of life would emerge in another hour or so.

I asked him what it was he needed so urgently, and he told me he needed a beer. I explained to him that he was well within the 300metre 'no alcohol' zone, and to keep walking toward the city.

He shuffled off: I'm sure he was shaking his head and saying something like 'these Thais must be crazy...' whistling.gif

Norwegian reports assault by Motorbike Taxi Driver in Central Pattaya

norway-11.jpg

PATTAYA: -- In the early hours of Thursday a 50 year old Norwegian was reportedly assaulted and robbed by a Motorbike Taxi Driver in Central Pattaya.

Mr. Tore Klongeruik, who was accompanied by a friend, reported the incident at Pattaya Police Station after he was released from Hospital. He had sustained minor facial injuries during the assault on him which also saw 12,000 Baht in cash and his IPhone stolen from him.

The victim told Police that at 9pm on Wednesday Night he had gone to a Beer Bar and then onto Walking Street until 5am on Thursday Morning when he agreed a price of 200 Baht for a motorbike taxi driver to take him back to his residence.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/218451/norwegian-reports-assault-by-motorbike-taxi-driver-in-central-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-10-09

I do the same also but I make a point of getting my 20k out in the day times so I don't go out on the piss with 20k on me

Maybe to some 12000 Baht is an extraorbitant sum but I do carry around that every day just in case I need something.

Finely you guys seem to suggest that he somehow deserved what he got. I strongly disagree. The reputation of Thailand goes down the drain and you seem happy. I wonder why?

People coming for holiday here and having some fun and drinks are beaten and robbed and you blame them. If Thais woudl have any common sense the local police would be hunting these people down. That might do something to their reputation and save what there is still to be saved.

Personally I know many people who would not choose to visit a place that has questionable safety record. There might not be need for another Disneyland but relative safety could do wonders.

Sounds about right, and still they go out with stupid ammounts of cash on them....

I don't think 12,000 baht is a stupid amount of money, barely over £200.

And how would the M/C driver thief know beforehand?

I would assume the taxi driver didn't know how much money the Norwegian had on him before the assault, right? So the amount of money he had on him is irrelevant. Ok, he's a tourist so doesn't know the town, and I imagine knew it even less if he'd been drinking til 5 am. And the driver probably got frustrated, which is still no excuse for assault, but anger management not a strong suit here (note many posts where drivers like to dive into scuffles that don't concern them). Should have dropped passenger off at police station and let them deal with him.

Claiming that anyone who doesn't mindlessly bash Thais must be somehow apologizing is nonsense and more than a little old.

It was a Thai who came to his rescue as well. Or do we only consider Thais who act badly when summing up?

Drunks with pockets full of cash are mugged in every country. Of course the mugger is a criminal whether he's Thai or whatever, but quite often the victim has acted stupidly. But then I'm sure the drunk apologists think it's sensible to get blind drunk alone in an unfamiliar locale in the wee hours of the morning in tourist towns in Europe or the US and assume you'll be perfectly safe.

Right on cue...

I have been there, but did not like it at all.

I hope it goes around. And the number of tourist will drop close to zero.

This country deserves a lesson how to deal with foreigners.

These foreigners bring a lot of cash to the country, they should treated with much more respect.

Edited by SuwadeeS

Sounds about right, and still they go out with stupid ammounts of cash on them....

So if you take out more than a couple of thousand baht cash then it's ok for Thais to mug you? I find the attitude of some TVF posters incomprehensible at times, it's almost as though they become orgasmic hearing of a fellow farang being robbed and beaten. Less goody-two-shoes, patronising attitudes on here would be a fine thing.

I'm fairly neutral about the whole event, but I'll add I have friends who go to bars and drink nothing but water. I read the article and don't even see a mention of alcohol or drunkenness.

Yes, but I doubt you're drunk, lost and making your way home the morning after, but I'm speculating. Maybe you are full of surprises.

Were you there when the victim came out of the bar? Where in the post does it say he was drunk? OK so maybe he was, but as usual you make assumptions to concoct a situation you believe is true. There are no surprises in your posts, because you're so predictable.

The article said he was at a beer bar from 9 pm until 5am. I'm surprised he was able to balance on the back of a scooter. It seems like most of these assults are against people who are blind drunk and easy targets.

I'm no badass but I've never had anyone try to rob me, just one pickpocket who ended up with a crushed hand. But then, I don't wander around in public stumbling drunk.

The poster mentions Thai apologists because we're in Thailand. We all know it also happens in other countries but that still doesn't make it right. A lot of us have gone out with good intentions with a few thousand baht in our pockets and ended up having a few too many, I'm sure the violent criminals here and in other countries will be encouraged to hear that liberal goody-goodies like you think it's the victim's fault and not theirs.

Pattaya's a great place, it has something for everyone, you just have to avoid the areas that aren't to your taste same as anywhere else in Thailand. I've lived here for eight years and after visiting other places in this country, wouldn't want to live anywhere else. You should try it before you comment.

No sympathy from me. If you are stupid enough to go out drinking all night ( look at his ugly ruddy face) youre bound to find trouble in a place like Pattaya or Phuket.

Thais know that there is a good chance a dopey drunk bar tourist is carrying 5000 baht or more. Thats one months wages for many Thais.

The mototorcycle guy got lucky.....12,000b.

A gang of Thai thugs bashed a pair of farangs outside a bar on Bangla rd the other night.

Ive already told people back home to avoid Thailand and go elsewhere until democratic elections are held in 2016 or 17.......or ever. lol

Edited by jalansanitwong

A troll post generalizing about Pattaya has been removed also any replies quoting it.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I have been there, but did not like it at all.

I hope it goes around. And the number of tourist will drop close to zero.

This country deserves a lesson how to deal with foreigners.

These foreigners bring a lot of cash to the country, they should treated with much more respect.

These guys come for the girls. STOP with the political correctness-its killing everything.

Truth be told pattaya ,phuket, bkk would be a ghost town wo the girlies......

No sympathy from me. If you are stupid enough to go out drinking all night ( look at his ugly ruddy face) youre bound to find trouble in a place like Pattaya or Phuket.

Thais know that there is a good chance a dopey drunk bar tourist is carrying 5000 baht or more. Thats one months wages for many Thais.

The mototorcycle guy got lucky.....12,000b.

A gang of Thai thugs bashed a pair of farangs outside a bar on Bangla rd the other night.

Ive already told people back home to avoid Thailand and go elsewhere until democratic elections are held in 2016 or 17.......or ever. lol

This is a reason to knock the cr*p out of someone or did he do something in particular to deserve this? Ppl get targeted all the time in many settings, odds are more in the RLD, but still....

Edited by Rimmer
Off topic