Savannakhet refusing Double Entry Tourist Visas to those with two or more already.

I am sorry for being confused!

I am now on my 2nd consecutive double entry tourist visa from Vientiene, I wish to go for my 3rd in January.

Will it still be a problem getting a 3rd double entry visa in Vientiene if I can show proof of funds (cash in hand and bank statement of money abroad)?

Many thanks

I would certainly take some financial proof with you.

I think people that tried to show a bank statement that had problems was because the consular officer could not understand them. For sure if not in English it would need to be translated to Thai,

The best proof is a Thai bank book showing transfers in from outside the country.

A bank statement is basically an amount of money of a page from a bank... How difficult is this to understand in any language?

I am now on my 2nd consecutive double entry tourist visa from Vientiene, I wish to go for my 3rd in January.

Will it still be a problem getting a 3rd double entry visa in Vientiene if I can show proof of funds (cash in hand and bank statement of money abroad)?

Many thanks

I think people that tried to show a bank statement that had problems was because the consular officer could not understand them. For sure if not in English it would need to be translated to Thai,

The best proof is a Thai bank book showing transfers in from outside the country.

A bank statement is basically an amount of money of a page from a bank... How difficult is this to understand in any language?

What they would be looting for is proof some money was moved in some way or the other to here. That might be a little hard for them to read and understand.

It is not a matter of just looking at some numbers.

Hey Kitsune

http://media.carbonated.tv/102636_story__chinarichkids2.png

Open the link and explain what the "page from a bank" means!

The members who were refused were from The Netherlands and UK

Your words !

"A bank statement is basically an amount of money of a page from a bank... How difficult is this to understand in any language?"

As for show of funds. Now that smartphones are the norm will they accept proof of funds via the recipient logging on to their online banking and showing the officer the balance on your phone.?

No, they will not accept that.

Hey Kitsune

Your words !

"A bank statement is basically an amount of money of a page from a bank... How difficult is this to understand in any language?"

Your point being?

Hey Kitsune

Your words !

Your point being?

My "point" is that you have failed to explains the the simple " page from a bank" I posted

You claimed ......................

""A bank statement is basically an amount of money of a page from a bank... How difficult is this to understand in any language?"

What is the problem?

End of debate!

Edited by oncearugge

I wonder if these will soon begin to affect people like myself getting a Non O multi entry visa without showing funds?? Will this be the next thing to change, I hope not.

I hope for your sake nothing "changes". However.................

Thai Embassies/ Consulates are entitled to ask and be satisfied you have sufficient financial derived from outside Thailand or tax receipts resulting from legal working inside Thailand.

As said already this has been going on for years at the Vientiane embassy so it's probably and rightly here to stay at Suvannakhet too.

Three double entry tourist visas gives someone up to 18 months without having to prove income. It's perfectly reasonable for embassies and consulates to ask for proof that the applicant can afford to fund their stay, without needing to work, after such a long time in-country as a tourist.

If that was true, they would warn people in advance and make an announcement about new requirements like they do in Bali,

Instead they take you by surprise and make you come and get a single instead, with the excuse that they "need bank statements",but no one has ever reported having been approved by Vientiane after provided ad hoc documents, furthermore, several reports have said Vientiane still refuses to grant visa even been presented with proof of income.

So it is indeed a direct attack on budget long term stayers, working or not.

If what was true?

So no report means it hasn't happened then! Ok. But as I've said before it's likely that most people getting the Vientiane warning don't go back because they can't produce whats needed.

The reality is that Thailand asks a minimum financial standing for long term stayers and if ones budget doesn't meet that requirement then they can't stay. Given the abuse by illegal workers of the visa exempt scheme and tourist visas it's a natural development that embassies and consulates (especially in the region) will toughen up.

I wonder if these will soon begin to affect people like myself getting a Non O multi entry visa without showing funds?? Will this be the next thing to change, I hope not.

Thai Embassies/ Consulates are entitled to ask and be satisfied you have sufficient financial derived from outside Thailand or tax receipts resulting from legal working inside Thailand.

They ask for the financial proof to get a tourist visa to prove you are not working here.

A person can legally work with a non-o visa if they get a work permit. So that requirement does not apply for a non-o.

According the MFA website only 20K baht would be needed. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

Many thanks

It's not about the amount of money in the account but where it came from. Turning up with a Bangkok Bank book, being one of your previously cited cases that was refused, is not good enough. Proving you have funds that originated abroad and sufficient for your stay is whats important.

• Like 1

555, good laugh !

Do you think that someone who thinks that it's expensive to go to Savanaket will have anything to show ?

Living here without reason and maybe illegal but still complaining, people are so crazy.

So print out a copy of your bank statement. What's the problem? Always have a evidence of financial security when using multi tourist visas.

Many thanks

It's not about the amount of money in the account but where it came from. Turning up with a Bangkok Bank book, being one of your previously cited cases that was refused, is not good enough. Proving you have funds that originated abroad and sufficient for your stay is whats important.

None of them had a bank book, they had foreign bank statements with sufficient funds and were still refused a visa by Vientiane.

They ask for the financial proof to get a tourist visa to prove you are not working here.

A person can legally work with a non-o visa if they get a work permit. So that requirement does not apply for a non-o.

According the MFA website only 20K baht would be needed. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

I am also reminded that

" Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary"

From the same link..................http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

I am also reminded that

" Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary"

From the same link..................http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

Documents are not financial proof. The financial proof it written.

UJ

I have no wish to argue the point but all my "financial proof" comes in the form of documents!

That is true but the amount needed is called in the police order for an extension which is what you are probably referring to.

You also need look where it says documents on the website because it covers several classes of non immigrant visas, Some could easily require additional documents..

UJ

I have no wish to argue the point but all my "financial proof" comes in the form of documents!

That is true but the amount needed is called in the police order for an extension which is what you are probably referring to.

You also need look where it says documents on the website because it covers several classes of non immigrant visas, Some could easily require additional documents..

No

I was referring to what an Embassy/Consulate might ask for.

20,000Bht amounts to a little over 200 Bht/day if someone stays for 90 days.

It is not to much of an imaginative stretch to conclude that Embassy/Consular officials might decide that additional proof of access to financial resource in excess of 20,000 was available and indeed some do.

Received third back-to-back from Vientiane a couple of weeks ago. No remark stamped in the passport. Was told by tout/agent that (at least at that time) a warning stamp would be placed on the 4th one after which either to obtain a new passport or go elsewhere. Proof or no proof seemed less relevant than the numbers of visas issued by them.

None of them had a bank book, they had foreign bank statements with sufficient funds and were still refused a visa by Vientiane.

I can't be bothered to look back, but you posted two links before. One was a guy that got turned away at the window trying to submit a Thai bank book and Thai phone bill. Again it's the origin of the funds that they are interested in.

UJ

No

I was referring to what an Embassy/Consulate might ask for.

20,000Bht amounts to a little over 200 Bht/day if someone stays for 90 days.

It is not to much of an imaginative stretch to conclude that Embassy/Consular officials might decide that additional proof of access to financial resource in excess of 20,000 was available and indeed some do.

I agree. They are looking at multiple visa applications differently as these people are not "tourists".

The 20k is the amount they can ask to see for any application and the amount needed at the border. The problem is that when Vientiane ask for proof of income they do not specify how much that is. Or at least they didn't when I was getting TR's. I was asked for proof on income back in 2009 and they wouldn't give me a number.

It would be good if they published an official criteria or put an official limit on the number of TR's they will issue. As it stands it's just guess work but I don't believe 20k is enough.

Many thanks

What they would be looting for is proof some money was moved in some way or the other to here. That might be a little hard for them to read and understand.

It is not a matter of just looking at some numbers.

Hi Joe.

I came to Thailand earlier this year and yourself and others gave me invaluable info regarding the double entry visa in Savannakhet.

I have only applied (and been granted) 1 of said visas so I guess I would be allowed 1 more should I need/want one. Im coming on visa exempt in 2 weeks and will only be staying for the 4 weeks, so it wont be for a good while I would need a double anyway. But I do have a question about showing finances with ref to your above comment . . .

Is showing cash not the same as just looking at some numbers in a bank book? The reason I ask is that I still have around 120.000 baht in my account (shown in bankbook). If showing cash is OK, how much would be required to convince the IO?

Cheers

Oh - FYI I keep my money in UK in my old dear's account and ask her to withdraw for me as and when I need it and then bring to Thailand what I need as and when I come, so no electronic evidence of transfers as you suggest

In 2012, end February I think, my visa waiver (30 days on arrival) was due to expire.

I was in Chiang Mai and applied for a 90 day non O.

I needed to take outside country bank statements to the Brit Consulate (now closed I believe)

I had to highlight the regular monthly pension payments.

For a fat fee (2,750b I think), they produced a letter,

To whom it may concern, please help this chap who we confirm has a monthly off shore income of blah blah. (well something like that).

Before that visa expired, I applied for a retirement extension and again needed the expensive letter.

This time however, the monthly funds had to equal or exceed the stated amount per month for the retirement extension.

I wonder if such an official document might be the answer?

The Manic,

For me personally I doubt it will be a problem.

However, there will be a significant amount of foreigners affected by this who can not print out a bank statement to verify their funds. Thousands of English teachers, for example, fall into that category... which would be catastrophic for the already severely lacking level of English instruction in Thailand... which impacts strongly upon Thai students.

For that reason, and for the reason that often there are crackdowns which soon blow over, I would doubt it will stay that way. That place has been the last place available for those in the know for some time now, and in such an informal economy it seems that it has been a bit of a nod and a wink approach - as is often seen in Thailand.

It's a bit different than Vientiane's policy, as there you would get no further tourist visa at all after two double entry tourist visas. In Savannakhet they are still offering single entry tourist visas... which makes it look like either a money grab (foreigners will have to spend more in Thailand in expenses to go the extra distance from BKK - where most foreigners are based) ... or a crackdown where the local officials are still trying to leave a bit of a common sense loophole to the ill thought out higher up's change in policy.

Asiantravel,

Happy or unhappy, grateful or ungrateful... it is irrelevant. Luckily I am both happy and grateful with everything in life though. I'm quite sure I didn't say otherwise. The point of the original post is simply to let others know who may need to be informed so that they are better off as a result.

There are many good people who will be negatively affected unless this is a short term thing and things go back to normal soon. It could have a serious impact on education, among other things, in the kingdom. Let's hope reason will prevail.

"Thousands of English teachers, for example, fall into that category... which would be catastrophic for the already severely lacking level of English instruction in Thailand... "

Your mention of the thousands of English teachers being affected while asking for tourist visas is reassuring. I have nothing against English teachers personally, as long as they are working on valid WPs. The one working on-the-fly and the schools employing them, IMO, are one of the problems you state in the education system.

Edited by chrisinth

The Manic,

However, there will be a significant amount of foreigners affected by this who can not print out a bank statement to verify their funds. Thousands of English teachers, for example, fall into that category... which would be catastrophic for the already severely lacking level of English instruction in Thailand... which impacts strongly upon Thai students.

For that reason, and for the reason that often there are crackdowns which soon blow over, I would doubt it will stay that way. That place has been the last place available for those in the know for some time now, and in such an informal economy it seems that it has been a bit of a nod and a wink approach - as is often seen in Thailand.

It's a bit different than Vientiane's policy, as there you would get no further tourist visa at all after two double entry tourist visas. In Savannakhet they are still offering single entry tourist visas... which makes it look like either a money grab (foreigners will have to spend more in Thailand in expenses to go the extra distance from BKK - where most foreigners are based) ... or a crackdown where the local officials are still trying to leave a bit of a common sense loophole to the ill thought out higher up's change in policy.

Asiantravel,

Happy or unhappy, grateful or ungrateful... it is irrelevant. Luckily I am both happy and grateful with everything in life though. I'm quite sure I didn't say otherwise. The point of the original post is simply to let others know who may need to be informed so that they are better off as a result.

There are many good people who will be negatively affected unless this is a short term thing and things go back to normal soon. It could have a serious impact on education, among other things, in the kingdom. Let's hope reason will prevail.

"Thousands of English teachers, for example, fall into that category... which would be catastrophic for the already severely lacking level of English instruction in Thailand... "

Your mention of the thousands of English teachers being affected while asking for tourist visas is reassuring. I have nothing against English teachers personally, as long as they are working on valid WPs. The one working on-the-fly and the schools employing them, IMO, are one of the problems you state in the education system.

How are English teachers are "the problem"?

They are young, have degrees and Education that Thailand sorely miss, they come and work for poverty salary, they spend a good part of their salary and time on immigration and visa runs. If discovered they go to prison, have to pay fine and get deported like criminals.

They are some of the most exploited ESL teachers in the world.

• Like 1

The Manic,

Asiantravel,

They are young, have degrees and Education that Thailand sorely miss, they come and work for poverty salary, they spend a good part of their salary and time on immigration and visa runs. If discovered they go to prison, have to pay fine and get deported like criminals.

If the "teachers" did in fact have relevant degrees they would also have a Thai teaching license, an appropriate visa and a work permit.

Such teachers would also earn a decent salary and not be reliant on back to back tourist visas which do not permit work.

The Manic,

Asiantravel,

If the "teachers" did in fact have relevant degrees they would also have a Thai teaching license, an appropriate visa and a work permit.

Such teachers would also earn a decent salary and not be reliant on back to back tourist visas which do not permit work.

Wrong, a teaching license does not requires just a degree andThailand has made the requirements for teaching license so ridiculously high (given the salary they offer) that teachers with generic degrees as opposed to teaching degrees are now all illegal.

• Like 1

Hi Joe.

I came to Thailand earlier this year and yourself and others gave me invaluable info regarding the double entry visa in Savannakhet.

I have only applied (and been granted) 1 of said visas so I guess I would be allowed 1 more should I need/want one. Im coming on visa exempt in 2 weeks and will only be staying for the 4 weeks, so it wont be for a good while I would need a double anyway. But I do have a question about showing finances with ref to your above comment . . .

Is showing cash not the same as just looking at some numbers in a bank book? The reason I ask is that I still have around 120.000 baht in my account (shown in bankbook). If showing cash is OK, how much would be required to convince the IO?

Cheers

Oh - FYI I keep my money in UK in my old dear's account and ask her to withdraw for me as and when I need it and then bring to Thailand what I need as and when I come, so no electronic evidence of transfers as you suggest

Show them the receipts from the foreign exchange transactions you must be making then.

• Like 1