Date Palms

DumbFalang

From left to right the costs are 250, 500, 1000 and 3000. We have 20,000 trees in total so there are some larger ones too. None of these trees are mine by the way. I am helping a business partner promote to farangs. here are some quick photos. I will be doing some more professional ones later on...

Sorry.. My ais 3g cant handle the upload. Will try again when on wifi. The varieties are neptune and deglet nour.

Recently,I found some date palms at Chatujak market in Bangkok,but couldn't get variety names out of the sellers.Still went ahead with purchasing a red variety and a yellow variety.Facebook have a number of Thai date palm producers that have pages and even one doing tissue culture which may be why they all have so many young palms for sale.

To actually get dates, you will need multiple females to one male. The only way to insure a female is by digging up shoots from mature producing trees.

Anything seed grown will take a minimum of six years to flower and reveal sex.

Most pollination is done by collecting the male pollen and than repeatedly apply it over several days to the females.

post-14625-0-81838100-1444747671_thumb.j

post-14625-0-33324900-1444747729_thumb.j

post-14625-0-04318500-1444747753_thumb.j

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12-10-2015 at 5:42 AM, DumbFalang said:

From left to right the costs are 250, 500, 1000 and 3000. We have 20,000 trees in total so there are some larger ones too. None of these trees are mine by the way. I am helping a business partner promote to farangs. here are some quick photos. I will be doing some more professional ones later on...

Sorry.. My ais 3g cant handle the upload. Will try again when on wifi. The varieties are neptune and deglet nour.

somehow the pics are not opening.. any chance you post some new ones? 

Are some available that were already reaching marturity? 

I didn't remove the photos but I can see that that are no longer there. I will try to find them on the wife or my phone and re post. Failing that I will take some more photos when I visit the nursery this Sunday.

• Like 1

I visited many shops in thailand who sell the date palms. To see if they are male or female the Thai have some tricks. They explained it to me but my thai language was not sufficient.

They also show many pictures of datepalms full of fruit and they are in Thailand i guess.

There's another guy on chatuchak who sells datepalms from arab countries.

Whether they fruit or not i would just give it a try, at least you'll get a nice palmtree and if it fruits you can eat them.

• 2 years later...