Vulcan, any good?

AllanB

Went into the city this afternoon to do a bit of window shopping and passing the Kawasaki dealer thought I would pop in to look at the KLX's, the 250 was just to tall for me and the 150 way to cramped, so still think the Lifan is best for "mucking about" on.

With a down pour going on outside we took a look at the roadbikes and was really struck by the Vulcan. Sitting down on it I found it fitted me like a glove, feet up with legs almost straight and really relaxed riding position, at 206kg only a tad heavier than my old NV400 and was comfortable for the missus..

286k baht (just over £5k) didn't seem too bad either and 650cc is plenty for me to cruise around on, so wondered what the downside was, if I were to put my hands deep into my pockets?

With only a limited range of bigger bikes available in the KK dealerships, wondered if there was anything else in this cruiser category.

AllanB,

I had a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic in the states before I came here. I really miss that bike. An easy, comfortable ride, and dependable too. I had originally planned on getting a new one when I got here but the import duty ups the price to more than I wanted to pay. I could have bought it in Texas, new with taxes and registration for US$10K. Here it was closer to US$15K. If the price ever dropped significantly, I'd be on one like a duck on a June bug.

David

Good deal for Thailand and Much better then a Lifan

The idea was both, Lifan for the shopping, the pub and messing around in the dirt and a touring bike to replace my old NV.

I have to say I was very impressed by the Vulcan, didn't find anything that put me off, just finding the money really.

"If I was a rich man.........."

The idea was both, Lifan for the shopping, the pub and messing around in the dirt and a touring bike to replace my old NV.

I have to say I was very impressed by the Vulcan, didn't find anything that put me off, just finding the money really.

This is the bike you want Allan.

Edited by pokerkid

There's nothing else in this category or price range. Vulcan 650 has adjustable seat, pegs and bar so can be set for any size rider. Read some reviews and go buy it.

555 Go buy it .....Don't be silly that ain't gonna happen ,yesterday he nearly bought a Lifan that had been sitting on the shop floor for 2 years don't forget these bikes are great sellers,day before that It was some other bike not suited for purpose that he was dreaming about.do you actually ride at all Allan and if so what and I don't class riding a scooter or wave to 7/11 as really riding

There's nothing else in this category or price range. Vulcan 650 has adjustable seat, pegs and bar so can be set for any size rider. Read some reviews and go buy it.

555 Go buy it .....Don't be silly that ain't gonna happen ,yesterday he nearly bought a Lifan that had been sitting on the shop floor for 2 years don't forget these bikes are great sellers,day before that It was some other bike not suited for purpose that he was dreaming about.do you actually ride at all Allan and if so what and I don't class riding a scooter or wave to 7/11 as really riding

LOL, thats why i said go buy it, or else this looking_for_a_bike drama will never end. wink.png

Edited by Shurup

LOL, thats why i said go buy it, or else this looking_for_a_bike drama will never end. wink.png

Haha, Maybe someone should start a thread as to which bike is not good to save him the hassle?

Haha, Maybe someone should start a thread as to which bike is not good to save him the hassle?

Are you Gwello, Surup and the tabby cat sisters by any chance.?

I'm in the same boat,I actually did buy a Lifan(I know,so called Chinese kink)for local riding and a bit of messing around.

I want a bigger bike for longer trips and touring,the choice is getting better. I've never considered a cruiser type and never even ridden one.

But that Vulcan could be a good compromise,between an adventure and road bike.

Now how to sneak it pass the missus? ;-)

I'm in the same boat,I actually did buy a Lifan(I know,so called Chinese kink)for local riding and a bit of messing around.

I want a bigger bike for longer trips and touring,the choice is getting better. I've never considered a cruiser type and never even ridden one.

But that Vulcan could be a good compromise,between an adventure and road bike.

Now how to sneak it pass the missus? ;-)

If you look at the reviews on Youtube, mostly from the US, they all love the bike, apart from one guy who had gearbox problems. A couple of women riding too so would appear to be easy on the body for a few hundred kms riding in a day.

One of the merits that I like is the low down torque they mention, they have lost some horsepower over the Versus and their other sports bikes fitted with that engine, in favour of flexibility.

650cc is more than enough for us two and some luggage and the slight lack of cornering speed sacrificed in favour of comfort, that's fine too.

I haven't ridden one either, but visualising a modern version of my NV400 with a longer wheelbase and the ability to stretch my legs out, sounds good.

How is the Lifan around town and did you change anything, like gearing or tyres?

Are you Gwello, Surup and the tabby cat sisters by any chance.?

Haha AllanB, no offence. Just a light hearted joke.

On a more serious note, how long has it been since you were looking to buy a new bike? I remember you talking about the Versys, then something else and now Vulcan.

In order to decide which bike to buy, first you need to know what you want to do with it. Most bikes can do most things, it's just that some bikes are better suited for some things than others. For eg, you can tour around Thailand on anything from a moped to a Ducati Panigale. Similarly, there's nothing to stop you taking your Wave (?) to a motocross track.

So, why not first decide what it is that you actually want to do? Secondly, decide on your budget. Thirdly, state what's important (ABS, kraction control etc) and what's unacceptable (height, weight etc). Once you know these, then I'm sure you will get some good suggestions.

Last time I was in a Kawasaki dealer was in Phattaya and the only Vulcan they had was the 900!

Yes Allan buy one, from all the bike mags and online sources they are a great bike....almost an NV400 but better in every way!

Haha AllanB, no offence. Just a light hearted joke.

On a more serious note, how long has it been since you were looking to buy a new bike? I remember you talking about the Versys, then something else and now Vulcan.

In order to decide which bike to buy, first you need to know what you want to do with it. Most bikes can do most things, it's just that some bikes are better suited for some things than others. For eg, you can tour around Thailand on anything from a moped to a Ducati Panigale. Similarly, there's nothing to stop you taking your Wave (?) to a motocross track.

So, why not first decide what it is that you actually want to do? Secondly, decide on your budget. Thirdly, state what's important (ABS, kraction control etc) and what's unacceptable (height, weight etc). Once you know these, then I'm sure you will get some good suggestions.

None taking, this is a forum not a fight club and your comments are understandable, but a couple of years ago I bought the NV400 and ever since then it has had so much promise, but not quite delivered.

I see things a little differently.......

I really like old stuff and in Europe I would get on and do it all myself, source parts, get parts made, or borrow my old machine tools back and make them myself. Here is different and a simple thing like a petcock has taken many months to sort out, the UK it would be and was delivered next day from Amazon.

Now I have realised this ain't the place for old bikes and I want to get on and tour properly this winter.

Yes, I have looked at a number of bikes and after the NV, which isn't a perfect fit, they all feel really cramped. I do get the "Sports bike" thing and don't wish to knock the buzz guys get from fast riding (although jokingly I do), which has been the trend for a more than 100years in my country.

But this not for me at my age and hitherto 300,000 baht was lot of money for a toy, now, maybe not.

I post these threads because I find them interesting and think maybe others would too and as I have said the Vulcan is the most suitable bike I have found.

So I have to find the money and here is a bit of an incite for you young\er guys. When you are young you spend your money, screw up, go out and earn more. When you get close to retirement, well, when it's gone it's gone, so decisions are more serious.

PS, no offence at my comments either, I am sure you lot are not related at all.crying.gif

But we are related! Bro riders. We are brothers from different mothers. biggrin.png

Oh you are rastars, sorry didn't realise.....Bread-drin, rase-clark, big it up for Bob Marley, Ali-G....

...and the same fathers too, wow! Good that you should keep in touch....biggrin.png