National ban on impromptu police checkpoints.

CMKiwi

Maybe he was casing out your joint for a possible static full-time Police checkpoint. Lots of places they could hide victims in order to fleece tea money.

Sorry to hear of your experience John, guys on whatever stimulants can be scary if not a little unpredictable. Will pop by in the next few days to try out your pork knuckle

Regards Andy

Thanks..... and now guess what I just 30 mins ago finished eating ????? Now for a nice little nap.

The title of this thread is:

National ban on impromptu police checkpoints

I am not sure if this title is correct regarding the factual situation, but in Chiang Mai, the police checkpoints are almost never "impromptu." They set up in the same places around town, although not every day. I would not call these "impromptu" police checkpoints; rather, I think they are fixed location checkpoints, therefore, not subject to the new requirements.

You are correct, the word impromptu was the wrong word to use. Random maybe a better substitute word as there never seems to be a pattern as to what day and what location the BiB will be in attendance.

Most locations are known of these so called checkpoints by those (Funnily enough) who travel around Chiang Mai. The official directive from Bangkok Police was that these type of checkpoints were to stop. An official police checkpoint is to have warning boards prior to the checkpoint and the Director of Police also stated that a Police Inspector must be in attendance.

Reading between the lines I would guess that a lot of tourists are getting pissed off with what appears to them as being easy targets. Which in turn may affect tourism. That and the fact that a lot of the time the fines are not recorded and no ticket is issued. Hence why the Director of Police is trying to ¨clean up their act¨.

I believe these are the checkpoints that he is targeting with the new rules. If not then do you have any idea which ones are being targeted?