Metal Detectors..Gold on them thar beaches ?

50baht

I see many Thai men with metal detectors on the beaches of Pattaya and Jomtien do you think they find enough coins, rings, gold chains to make it worth the effort..can I join them without getting wacked?..Where to buy Metal Detectors in Thailand ? Cost to import ? Anyone do this Hobby ? Any luck?

I own one myself, imported from the US.

I have used it a lot in my home country and now I use it a few times on the beaches here .

The price I paid was around 20000 baht, there is one supplier in Pattaya you could try. Minelab is a nice detector even for beginners.

Never been a problem for me to detect on the beaches here. But I wait for the low tide and I get up early in the morning and detect from 6 am until 10 am when its not too hot. What can you expect to find ? A nice detector will discriminate most of the metal garbage and searching for coins and jewellry. In 4 hours maybe you can find 100 baht in coins on a good day. Sometimes more exiting stuff like a gold ring. But this is a hobby, don't expect to find a treasure. For me it's good exercise.

Edited by balo